ADVERTISEMENT

Is Western Iowa Basketball as far behind as the Des Moines press tells us it is??

Schlemmer

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2017
Is Western Iowa Basketball as far behind as the Des Moines Press tells us it is?? SBL, Boyden-Hull, and Western Christian are usually all in the mix at State. 4A lately is Council Bluffs Lincoln or SC East. Hard for 4A Western Iowa schools to find quality opponents. Would be nice to join the Omaha Metro conference to prepare for our friends in the CIML come State time. Bellevue West ( Omaha Metro) ran Waukee out of the gym this year. ( lost by 14points) Thoughts??

During the State tournament this year the Des Moines Register questioned multiple times if Council Bluffs Lincoln's ranking was justified based upon the level of competition played in Western Iowa. I believe SC East was also questioned as they hadn't performed well as of late in the State tourney.

Big School Western Iowa is questioned every year. What's new about this year? Added a CB team to the mix instead of just East and Sgt. Bluff?

I guess I don't know what you mean by falling behind. In big school sports, Western Iowa usually only puts out 1 or MAYBE 2 teams that compete at a high level in the tournaments each year. Been that way for a long time, no? The fall of Heelan probably makes it more apparent as well.

Small school sports is another story. 1A/2A is always competitive.

Great points, I guess what I'm getting at is the overall feeling that the CIML is where the State Champ will be coming from 4A level for the next 5-10 years and the schools in Western Iowa, East and C.B. Lincoln, will fall further and further back because of population shifts and lack of stiff competition night in and night out. C.B Lincoln has dropped Harlan from their schedule - a good 3A school- and picked up Bellevue West the #2 rated team in Nebraska to try and keep up with Des Moines. Just curious of your take.

I'd agree with you, the lack of teams, let alone competition, in big schools in western Iowa is far less than that of the CIML. Will be hard to compete year in and year out with those teams for teams over here.

What would you recommend Hooper to get the Western Iowa 4A's "back in the game"??

Great points, I guess what I'm getting at is the overall feeling that the CIML is where the State Champ will be coming from 4A level for the next 5-10 years and the schools in Western Iowa, East and C.B. Lincoln, will fall further and further back because of population shifts and lack of stiff competition night in and night out. C.B Lincoln has dropped Harlan from their schedule - a good 3A school- and picked up Bellevue West the #2 rated team in Nebraska to try and keep up with Des Moines. Just curious of your take.
Any school winning a state title at the 4A/5A level outside the DM area is going to be an extremely rare feat pretty much from now on.

Reactions: WSC72
Do you really think so?? How does Waukee get boat rolled by an Omaha Metro team and Council Bluffs Lincoln plays the same metro team within 2 points?? I believe SC East and CB Lincoln just need to get comfortable at state and titles will come.

Do you really think so?? How does Waukee get boat rolled by an Omaha Metro team and Council Bluffs Lincoln plays the same metro team within 2 points?? I believe SC East and CB Lincoln just need to get comfortable at state and titles will come.
Well........good luck.

Sioux City East and the Vanderloo family made it to state in 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 09, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, and 19.

I think they might be comfortable in DM.

Sioux City East and the Vanderloo family made it to state in 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 09, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, and 19.

I think they might be comfortable in DM.
Fair enough, how many State championships were brought home out of those 12 teams?? Also it looks like East's best player went back down south. They may want to get used to spending March in Sioux City. No chance they will get by Dix and CB Lincoln, or Ames in Substate final.

CIML dudes get to sleep in their own beds at night. Practice in their own gyms. Might have at least a little to do with it.

I believe I saw in the DSM Register the CIML has a 82% winning record against everyone else in the state. Population/ more choices/ rural Iowa is empty. You will get a team that will reach out and slap the CIML but it won't be a yearly thing.

i noticed they dropped harlan, been playing each other for yrs..wonder what the reason was?

It is my understanding that A.L wanted to play competition that would better prepare them for state . I think they dropped Saint Alberts too. so AL picked up two powerhouses in the Omaha metro, 1 really good school in Kansas, and 1 in Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT