ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Quess over in 3A Forum

“Pods”? I must say this pap doesn’t instill much confidence for a thoughtful resolution. With the current trends in decreasing FB participation, give it five years max...sadly.

The whole thing about bigger schools surrounding us in a big city with better facilities I can get, but Regina is not competing against those schools. They are competing against schools with their enrollment size. That is the issue at hand. If you had a choice to stay in the city and maybe lose some kids here and there to the bigger schools or be located in a rural setting about 30 minutes away from a city, what would you chose? You will not get a kid, say going to IC West enrolling at your school to have a change of pace or senery if you are located more than a half hour away. You will have student leave though for other institutions (both private and public) if your rural school is lacking in talent for say 3-4 classes in a row. Private schools in big cities do not have that hurdle to climb and it is obvious when you look at who wins the championships at the 8 man and 1A level.

They aren’t competing against them on the field. They are competing against them for the students. What could start as a talented class can be taken down a notch when a star center transfers to a bigger school, 2 star linebackers transfer out to bigger schools, an athlete who has a sibling interested in the arts leaves because the parents want both kids at the same school. I watched a class lose 25% of their students in one year between 8th and 9th grade. Not many rural schools have that type of attrition.

Reactions: Pinehawk
They aren’t competing against them on the field. They are competing against them for the students. What could start as a talented class can be taken down a notch when a star center transfers to a bigger school, 2 star linebackers transfer out to bigger schools, an athlete who has a sibling interested in the arts leaves because the parents want both kids at the same school. I watched a class lose 25% of their students in one year between 8th and 9th grade. Not many rural schools have that type of attrition.

I get it, but when it comes to the on field competition, there is still an advantage there with the base population. I get 25% of the class leaving as bad for the school, but what they bring in the following year and how they can attract more talent that might want a chance at playing time at a smaller school is huge. Rural schools have no such option. Rural schools also have the lower SES than the kids at private institutions. I see the frustration from your end though, but these private schools still get kids, maybe it is only 1 or 2, but that can push you past your level of competition at that 1A or 8 man level.

You think if they were going to keep it the same. They would of announce it on the first deadline. Instead of waiting for the feb 5 and Friday. Who knows what they will do.

I get it, but when it comes to the on field competition, there is still an advantage there with the base population. I get 25% of the class leaving as bad for the school, but what they bring in the following year and how they can attract more talent that might want a chance at playing time at a smaller school is huge. Rural schools have no such option. Rural schools also have the lower SES than the kids at private institutions. I see the frustration from your end though, but these private schools still get kids, maybe it is only 1 or 2, but that can push you past your level of competition at that 1A or 8 man level.

I understand that perspective as well. In basketball 1-2 could move the needle a bunch. It also sounds good in theory and helps support the calls for a change. The situation I referenced came in the midst of a 6 state championship run and kids left the school for reasons and they didn’t attract students. During a historic run enrollment and football numbers have dropped enough that Regina is on the cut line for A football after starting the run in 2A. A lot of factors but the numbers don’t support the ‘inherent advantages’ premise. It was built and they didn’t come.

Reactions: Pinehawk
...The situation I referenced came in the midst of a 6 state championship run and kids left the school for reasons and they didn’t attract students. During a historic run enrollment and football numbers have dropped enough that Regina is on the cut line for A football after starting the run in 2A. A lot of factors but the numbers don’t support the ‘inherent advantages’ premise. It was built and they didn’t come.
Wasn’t it just a couple of years ago Regina played a much larger Xavier in a non-district contest? My how things change in a hurry.

You mean last year? They literally played in 2019, I've heard that Regina didn't want to play in 18-19 but the state still put the game on the schedule, not sure how true that is though.

Wasn’t it just a couple of years ago Regina played a much larger Xavier in a non-district contest? My how things change in a hurry.
I think the new Liberty High School is going to hurt Regina's enrollment. Having a new school with exceptional facilities in the IC district gives a lot of kids from North Liberty and Coralville a good public school option other than West and City High.

You mean last year? They literally played in 2019, I've heard that Regina didn't want to play in 18-19 but the state still put the game on the schedule, not sure how true that is though.
Yes, I see that now and they were drubbed pretty good 35-0.

So I have to ask since Garrigan was brought up in a post above... how would a multiplier work for them since they are in class A but have been eligible for 8 man for a few years now? In theory are they ok where they are at or would they have to move to 1A?

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I think the new Liberty High School is going to hurt Regina's enrollment. Having a new school with exceptional facilities in the IC district gives a lot of kids from North Liberty and Coralville a good public school option other than West and City High.

Maybe. The other possibility is that as wealth flows towards the North Liberty area City High continues its downhill trajectory and kids start leaving for Regina. These things are always a toss-up.

Maybe. The other possibility is that as wealth flows towards the North Liberty area City High continues its downhill trajectory and kids start leaving for Regina. These things are always a toss-up.
I don't get the regina love. They make lemonade from lemons. Look at all their sports... they ride one or two players and the coaches get way more than they should from everyone else. Football. Soccer, basketball, etc.

I don't get the regina love. They make lemonade from lemons. Look at all their sports... they ride one or two players and the coaches get way more than they should from everyone else. Football. Soccer, basketball, etc.

I think in certain situations that may be the case, basketball this year being a prime example.

But why would they go to an unproven program when they could go to a proven power? Hmmm... great facilities, closer to home, free.... yet people continue to think just having a private school in a metro area guarantees a state championship contender.

But why would they go to an unproven program when they could go to a proven power? Hmmm... great facilities, closer to home, free.... yet people continue to think just having a private school in a metro area guarantees a state championship contender.

Are they not a contender at their level most years?

You have good posts and I have no issue with the private schools. I don't judge the quality of a program or the experience the players will have on the last game of the season. But, you seem to be sticking your head in the sand on the idea that private schools have an advantage. The data is out there and it doesn't lie.

I had a conversation with a Regina administrator the year that 4A went to districts. We were talking about schedules and why the Cedar Rapids area schools wouldn't play Xavier anymore and basically said they chose not to play when they went to 3A. I asked him if Regina considered moving up a class for more competition, his answer was that if a kid in Iowa City wanted to be on quarter-final type team they could do that at West, but we can promise them state titles right now. Again, I have no issues with it. If a parent thinks that a private school is the best for the their child and can afford, go for it. Just quit being so obtuse to the inherent advantages they have. Embrace and say I did what was best for my kid. Case closed, I'll never blame a parent for doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballFan1009
So is today the day, or do we have to wait a few more weeks to get some news? IHSAA says recommendations for district deadline is today. Not sure what that really means.

Todd Tharp said "We will release district assignments on or about Wednesday, Feb 5th upon approval from our Board of Control. From that time, you will have approximately two weeks to prioritize your non-district opponents for the following two years."

Todd Tharp said "We will release district assignments on or about Wednesday, Feb 5th upon approval from our Board of Control. From that time, you will have approximately two weeks to prioritize your non-district opponents for the following two years."
So it’s two weeks to find 4 teams (assuming 4A keeps the same district format) to schedule for ND play? As an IA coastal dweller, it would be interesting to know if such a compressed time frame makes it difficult for AD’s to schedule out of state games (let alone in state), if they should so desire.

So it’s two weeks to find 4 teams (assuming 4A keeps the same district format) to schedule for ND play? As an IA coastal dweller, it would be interesting to know if such a compressed time frame makes it difficult for AD’s to schedule out of state games (let alone in state), if they should so desire.

Most schools already have an idea who they will be playing as the ADs have been figuring it out before this 2 week deadline goes into effect.

Most schools already have an idea who they will be playing as the ADs have been figuring it out before this 2 week deadline goes into effect.
There is no scheduling by the schools. It is just a list of preferred opponents sent to the IHSSA. They will determine who you play and when you play them.

There is no scheduling by the schools. It is just a list of preferred opponents sent to the IHSSA. They will determine who you play and when you play them.

Well yes I get that, but the ADs determine the list of who and send that in. It is basically already done. They are just waiting to see if they have to adjust based on pairings right now.

Someone asked the question about out of state schools, I think those matchups are more or less set, and state has to work around them.

The IHSAA Board of Control will be meeting at 1:30 PM to approve the final classifications and assignments for football.

Two major items will be discussed and approved.

1) The number of schools in Class 4A (40 or 42) and what districts the schools will be placed in (if 40 schools) or what pools the schools will be placed in (if 42 schools). 4A will have a 9 game schedule with 16 post season qualifiers.

2) Whether Class 3A through 8 Player will have an 8 game regular season with 32 qualifiers, or a 9 game

These approved assignments will be placed on our website at approximately 4 PM this afternoon.

The information on the website will show the following information:

1) Number of schools in each classification
2) In Classes 3A through 8 Player, you will see your classification based on the BEDs numbers and the schools in your class.

One reason this process has been frustrating is I know for a fact that Keokuk has an agreement to play an out-of-state opponent Week 1. However, that opponent may have to start exploring other options if we don't get anything from the state soon.

It has. The current Junior class lost probably 10-12 kids to Liberty. Kids who wanted to be in that very first class and go to a brand new school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT