ADVERTISEMENT

IHSBCA 3A All District and All State teams

o2bahawk

Freshman
Feb 4, 2004
As you may or may not know, to make the IHSBCA All State teams you have to be selected to your All District team first. Every year there are some controversial selections (and non-selections) to various All District and All State teams, but this year seems to have taken the cake. The defending 3A State Championship team who was ranked #1 for most of the season and who ended up repeating as State Champs had five players selected to their All District team. The real head scratcher is not necessarily five players, but the omission of a pitcher who was 6-1 on the year that averaged over 10K's per appearance and who threw a no-hitter and a one-hitter (State semifinal) in the post season. His only blemish on his record was a regular season close loss to 4A State qualifier North Scott and he threw a four hitter in that game. The State champs relied heavily on their pitching this year because their offense wasn't as productive as previous years and yes, they had one pitcher named to the All District team,l but I just don't understand how you couldn't name the second pitcher as a utility player selection to the All District team. I bet if you asked the coaches of the teams he beat in the postseason, they would say it is travesty that this pitcher wasn't recognized as an All District player.

As you may or may not know, to make the IHSBCA All State teams you have to be selected to your All District team first. Every year there are some controversial selections (and non-selections) to various All District and All State teams, but this year seems to have taken the cake. The defending 3A State Championship team who was ranked #1 for most of the season and who ended up repeating as State Champs had five players selected to their All District team. The real head scratcher is not necessarily five players, but the omission of a pitcher who was 6-1 on the year that averaged over 10K's per appearance and who threw a no-hitter and a one-hitter (State semifinal) in the post season. His only blemish on his record was a regular season close loss to 4A State qualifier North Scott and he threw a four hitter in that game. The State champs relied heavily on their pitching this year because their offense wasn't as productive as previous years and yes, they had one pitcher named to the All District team,l but I just don't understand how you couldn't name the second pitcher as a utility player selection to the All District team. I bet if you asked the coaches of the teams he beat in the postseason, they would say it is travesty that this pitcher wasn't recognized as an All District player.
Did he make it in the Sports Writers All-State teams?

Lots of deserving kids and few spots.

Toss in the fact that the district representative to the All-State meeting may not have even watched the kid play.

Politics, axes to grind, and ect...................

Lots of variables

Toss in the fact that the district representative to the All-State meeting may not have even watched the kid play.

Lots of variables

Yes, he was voted 1st team ALL STATE by Iowa Sports Writers (as a utility player). I failed to mention in my OP that his ERA was 1.04 and he averaged just under 2 Ks per inning pitched. When he wasn't pitching he played outfield so he is an every day player not just a pitcher. By the way he set the State record for most hits (5) in a State Championship game .

Lots of variables

I understand similar situation for player(s) comes up every year - it is just sad if those variables you mention play into a coaches voting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT