ADVERTISEMENT

IHSAA FB Survey

Reasoned

All District
Oct 25, 2017
Our HS sent out an email today indicating there is a survey concerning football from the IHSAA to completed by ALL boys and girls (who might participated in FB this year), with the goal of learning reasons why there’s decreasing participation, is this something new?

Last edited:
Our HS sent out an email today indicating there is a survey concerning football from the IHSAA to completed by ALL boys and any girls (who participated in FB this year), with the goal of learning reasons why there’s decreasing participation, is this something new?
Maybe they should be sending it out to all High School kids

Reactions: stickman80
Interesting. There seems to be a general decline in sports participation in general in Iowa. The girls teams seem to all be short of players.

Part of the football issue is injury related. Part is also work related in that kids have jobs and other interests.

Interesting. There seems to be a general decline in sports participation in general in Iowa. The girls teams seem to all be short of players.

Part of the football issue is injury related. Part is also work related in that kids have jobs and other interests.
I honestly think some of it is due to many who think they shouldn't be handing out participation trophies. I mean why go out if your team never makes the playoffs

I don't have any statistics but I wouldn't be surprised if video games and 'E-Sports' haven't given a hit to athletic participation as well. Even the small colleges in this area are developing esports programs.

If you were to generalize the 4 main reasons why kids don't participate, it would be:

-"I don't think I'm good enough"

-"Im told that I'm not good enough" (whether by friends/classmates, parents, or even coaches)

-"Im afraid of getting hurt"

-"My parents don't want me to play."

Reactions: franky1967
If you were to generalize the 4 main reasons why kids don't participate, it would be:

-"I don't think I'm good enough"

-"Im told that I'm not good enough" (whether by friends/classmates, parents, or even coaches)

-"Im afraid of getting hurt"

-"My parents don't want me to play."
I'm not sure I'm not good enough I have heard. However that can be translated down to maybe not starting on the 1st team at a earlier age.

I also think the coaches really need to strive for letting each player know that you are not on a team but part of a team. If that makes sense

My guess is Dowling is a combination of both with the size roster they have. Their 2nd team might do very well on its own. Their 3rd team probably is structure in a way they can roll a few guys on and out and you wouldn't know it.

I think they are starting tackle football at too young of age. They are not physically ready. Sports in general are down in participation and hurting because of travel ball. Kids aren’t allowed to just have fun and love the sports instead of chasing scholarships when they are 9 years old.

I think they are starting tackle football at too young of age. They are not physically ready. Sports in general are down in participation and hurting because of travel ball. Kids aren’t allowed to just have fun and love the sports instead of chasing scholarships when they are 9 years old.
You could be correct, I thought that for years. Waterloo has had it longer than Cedar Falls yet it has never transfered to success at a higher level.

I think of you can teach them the offense 1st, run, pass and catch. Let kids learn how to defend against it, it would be more fun.

I'm not sure I'm not good enough I have heard.
Well, you probably wouldn't because it's very much more of an internal issue or excuse, but it definitely is one of the main reasons kids don't give themselves a chance to participate, or stick with sports long enough to even have a chance to gain an interest.

Reactions: franky1967
Spend some time in an urban public school. The problem isn't that the "kids have jobs", or that there isn't an opportunity. It is the parents. If you are a lucky teacher, maybe five percent of the parents show up for conferences. Fat chance that anyone is going to encourage you to play football, or that you are going to choose to play football when you can smoke weed in your basement and play video games.I think about 75% of the people who have kids in this country shouldn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT