ADVERTISEMENT

I guess the hard number is not 120

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
This is a serious question for Tom Keating and Todd Tharp, when you say the hard number is 120 then you allow teams to play down is rediculous. Stick to your word as you would expect the rest of us to do. If these teams were forced to play 11 man like the rule says then teams like Regina would not be in class A.

It looks like 3 schools less than 120 are playing 11-man football:
Gehlen Catholic, LeMars (110)
North Tama, Traer (110)
Bishop Garrigan, Algona (107)

and 7 schools over 120 are playing 8 man football

Newell-Fonda (133)
AGWSR, Ackley (131)
New London (129)
Iowa Valley, Marengo (128)
East Union, Afton (125)
Southeast Warren, Liberty Center (124)
Northwood-Kensett (122)

Good question about IAHSAA's thinking on this

I think it is very interesting that every single one of those schools that is above the BEDS cutoff and playing down is a public school and yet 2 of the 3 playing up are private schools.

I think it is very interesting that every single one of those schools that is above the BEDS cutoff and playing down is a public school and yet 2 of the 3 playing up are private schools.
What’s more interesting is that every school electing to play down Besides east union has had recent success in class A but before they all moved down we’re all starting to slip in the class.

Reactions: Anonymous111
Sidney had 37 on their roster last year, returns 12 seniors this year. Not sure I understand what pitch they can make to the state. Other than their record from last year. Why did the state specifically remove the exemption to let teams above play down if they were going to ignore it? Why aren't the other teams having to fight to stay down. Sure seems odd.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Not a fan of Regina being in class A, but the teams playing 8 vs 11 man , wouldnt make a difference as far as Regina's class. The classifications start from top to bottom, not bottom to top.
Class A is essentially the leftover box in the refrigerator. If the IAHSAA stuck hard and fast to 120, then there would just be four more teams in class A (64 instead of 60) . And I dont think IAHSAA would change anything back upstream in classes 3A -1A with that number? Of course predicting what IAHSAA might or should do is a whole other can of worms.

I think the bigger question , imo, is why to the schools and coaches continue to bow to whatever IAHSAA trots out? The IFCA has presented a plan for the last 2 cycles and it has been ignored each time.

Reactions: paxregis
Not likely that any school would allow that to happen, football coaches are all employees of schools, it would take school boards and superintendents to do this, and I am sure that this isn't a top priority for them.

I would say that the biggest argument is why are they letting Newell Fonda stay down when they are at 133.

Newell fonda maybe just has a large senior class with a small future ahead in the junior high. The states made their call, all we can do is focus on the upcoming season and the joy HS football brings. We knew the state would get it wrong, can't bitch about it now. Like Forest said 'stupid is as stupid does' the state is stupid, that cannot be fixed

I agree with the assessment of the top down cutoffs. There would have to be more than 4 schools entered back into the 11 player pool before it played a factor in changing the number per class.

As for the cut-off at 120, are any of those schools newly dropping to 8 player? I would suspect part of "Uncle Boone's" concern is that they don't want schools bouncing back and forth between 8 player and 11 player, just because of a few headcount fluctuation each cycle. Now, if they are newly dropping to 8 player, that doesn't seem fair, unless perhaps they are making a case that their upcoming numbers are trending lower. I suppose I could see some leeway coming due to that.

That could be the case, Newell Fonda would still be above 120 next year for redistricting because their big class is this years freshman. However AGWSR will never be below 120 for any class they currently have, over 40 kids in every class expect this years senior (which don't count towards next year) this years junior class and this years 2nd grade is 31 but is surrounded by classes in the 50s, so that is one school I don't get being allowed to stay down.

Not likely that any school would allow that to happen, football coaches are all employees of schools, it would take school boards and superintendents to do this, and I am sure that this isn't a top priority for them.

I know its a bit far fetched. But at some point if the coaches are not happy they have to make their voices heard.
I'm guessing a little momentum by a significant group of coaches toward something like that would at least make the IAHSAA take notice?
The association pry does more than we give them credit for, but c'mon, figure out classes, spit out a schedule, certify refs , ( do they assign refs for games) and then host semis and finals at the dome.
That could all be done separate and individual schools could host semi's and finals (or at kingston or valley stadium) for probably less $ than UNI
The schools and superintendents would probably like the revenue from a home playoff game or hosting a title game.

Somewhere else someone posted and if the state would go back to 56 a class instead of 54. So 8 districts N 7 teams not 9 and 6 it would have worked out the best but the Boone guys refuse to use common sense. Regina would have stayed in class 1a ( I am not one crying about that like so many others. Beat the best be the best) if they did this. Also a district champ wouldn’t have to travel doing it this way. Plus when you have 7 schools in 8man that r bigger than like 10 of the class a schools it’s messed up. So bring them 7 up and class A would have 54 teams.

Somewhere else someone posted and if the state would go back to 56 a class instead of 54. So 8 districts N 7 teams not 9 and 6 it would have worked out the best but the Boone guys refuse to use common sense. Regina would have stayed in class 1a ( I am not one crying about that like so many others. Beat the best be the best) if they did this. Also a district champ wouldn’t have to travel doing it this way. Plus when you have 7 schools in 8man that r bigger than like 10 of the class a schools it’s messed up. So bring them 7 up and class A would have 54 teams.

this would make way to much sense. That's why they didn't make sense. Caveman took many years to make fire. Boone take many years to get right

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I know its a bit far fetched. But at some point if the coaches are not happy they have to make their voices heard.
I'm guessing a little momentum by a significant group of coaches toward something like that would at least make the IAHSAA take notice?
The association pry does more than we give them credit for, but c'mon, figure out classes, spit out a schedule, certify refs , ( do they assign refs for games) and then host semis and finals at the dome.
That could all be done separate and individual schools could host semi's and finals (or at kingston or valley stadium) for probably less $ than UNI
The schools and superintendents would probably like the revenue from a home playoff game or hosting a title game.

I will say that it has been discussed behind closed doors for several years. Every time Boone screws up, more conversation takes place.

I think the 7 classes would be much better. I also think iahsaa needs some serious scrutiny. They just expect the numbers will never organize to do it.

Has anyone seen the enrollment report used to for 20/21? The only one I can find on the site is for 19/20.

If you use that list and keep 4A at 40 and the rest at 56. It keeps Solon in 3A (smallest in 3A, DNH just out of 2A by 1 place and Regina the smallest in 1A. Interesting....

I think the real story, though, is that they didn't do even the slightest adjustment to RPI. There was so much room to make it better and now it's another 2 years away.

Reactions: falconfanx3
1 year, they are redistricting again next year, I think essentially because of Waukee NW

It isn't completely unrealistic, South Dakota has 7 classes for about 1/2 the number of schools.

New Jersey has roughly the same number of football programs as Iowa and they play for 16 state titles.

It isn't completely unrealistic, South Dakota has 7 classes for about 1/2 the number of schools.

South Dakota High school football and its playoff system may have more flaws and holes than Iowa's. Unbalanced divisions, classes, scheduling, traveling. So on.

I could see 1 more class MAYBE. But anything after that is not needed

Sometimes more isn't always better

New Jersey has roughly the same number of football programs as Iowa and they play for 16 state titles.

one of those divisions has 2 teams....2 haha!!!! that is also based off public and non public, which I don't believe will ever happen. Though the whiny public has grown stronger. Also Iowa would never break into divisons like North and South like new jersey. Here's your class A north champion. Here is your class A south champion.. that's no state champion

Reactions: Pinehawk
I agree with what everyone is saying on here for the most part... but I think most people would agree that having a school like Lemars Ghelan and Algona Garrigan staying in class A makes more sense then Newell Fonda coming up. I have no ill will towards private or public schools... but did 8 man really need to see 3 private schools win the state title for the past 8 years (Don Bosco, Garrigan Gehlan) and the next 10. Personally, I say no

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT