ADVERTISEMENT

How other States do Playoffs

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
I looked at Minnesota so far and seen they have a 32 team field. They have 5 rounds of playoffs with the State Championship Game Ending next Friday on the 29th.

I haven't seen any team won/loss records yet. However they are getting it done and I'm sure other states are playing more games than the state of Iowa

In IL, the difference is only one game for the championship teams as they also take 32 teams to the playoffs. I'm not sure why more games is important, but I'll let you explain that. IL is going to districts either next year or in 2021, but currently they do not have districts. Any team that goes 5-4 is playoff eligible, although some 5-4 teams will not make it due to low "playoff points" which is the total of your opponents wins.

Then, and I think this is unique to IL, but technically they do not have enrollment classes until the playoffs. When the 256 playoff qualifiers have been determined, they then look at enrollments. The top 32 are 8A, the next group of 32 are 7A, and so on and so forth down to 1A.

Then, and I think this is unique to IL, but technically they do not have enrollment classes until the playoffs. When the 256 playoff qualifiers have been determined, they then look at enrollments. The top 32 are 8A, the next group of 32 are 7A, and so on and so forth down to 1A.
Additionally, they utilize an enrollment multiplier (x1.65) for schools which are non-boundaried (primarily the private schools).

Reactions: franky1967
The thing is lost everyone on this board thinks Iowa High School Football should be a model that other States follow.

We are so many years, players, teams and coaches away from competing with neighboring states on a regular basis.
In IL, the difference is only one game for the championship teams as they also take 32 teams to the playoffs. I'm not sure why more games is important, but I'll let you explain that. IL is going to districts either next year or in 2021, but currently they do not have districts. Any team that goes 5-4 is playoff eligible, although some 5-4 teams will not make it due to low "playoff points" which is the total of your opponents wins.

That I something, that many teams and classes. They are actually still on conferences

It is a lot, but IL also has way more football playing schools. I believe that 256 number is roughly half of the total teams fielded.

The thing is lost everyone on this board thinks Iowa High School Football should be a model that other States follow.

We are so many years, players, teams and coaches away from competing with neighboring states on a regular basis.

That I something, that many teams and classes. They are actually still on conferences

I don't know if it's a "model for others to follow", but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the Iowa system either. I would like the association to find something and just stick with it though as opposed to changing the system every two year cycle.

I don't know if it's a "model for others to follow", but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the Iowa system either. I would like the association to find something and just stick with it though as opposed to changing the system every two year cycle.
I thought about the two year cycle awhile back and thought the same thing. Really hard on struggling programs I think

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT