ADVERTISEMENT

How many A teams would decide to go 8 man in new formula?

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
Allot of talk about this new socioeconomic formula and it having a major effect on the smaller classes especially the bottom of class A and top of 8 man. With the sample the state sent out of what it would look like based on last years beds their were like 20 to 25 class A teams that could be 8 man in the new formula. My question is how many do you actually think would move to 8 man given the choice between 11 and 8 player, I personally don't think as many as people might think. In that sample that was sent they had West Hancock, St Ansger, Columbus, East Buc, Lynville and a few others that were not only A playoff teams but deep playoff teams that could go 8 man but I don't see any of them doing it at least in the next rotation. The team it probably does help the most is a school like Postville who has been in 1A and not remotely competitive would drop all the way to 8 player because they have 100% FRL. Will be interesting once new bed numbers are posted but I think what you will see for the next cycle is they lower the 8 man cap from 120 to a hard 110 or 112 for the next 2 years while they try this then quite possibly after this rotation going with 2 classes of 8 man and moving the cap back up.

Like I have said they need to make the cap be the total number of kids not the free and reduced number for the next two years as they figure this out.

Allot of talk about this new socioeconomic formula and it having a major effect on the smaller classes especially the bottom of class A and top of 8 man. With the sample the state sent out of what it would look like based on last years beds there were like 20 to 25 class A teams that could be 8 man in the new formula. My question is how many do you actually think would move to 8 man given the choice between 11 and 8 player, I personally don't think as many as people might think. In that sample that was sent they had West Hancock, St Ansger, Columbus, East Buc, Lynville and a few others that were not only A playoff teams but deep playoff teams that could go 8 man but I don't see any of them doing it at least in the next rotation. The team it probably does help the most is a school like Postville who has been in 1A and not remotely competitive would drop all the way to 8 player because they have 100% FRL. Will be interesting once new bed numbers are posted but I think what you will see for the next cycle is they lower the 8 man cap from 120 to a hard 110 or 112 for the next 2 years while they try this then quite possibly after this rotation going with 2 classes of 8 man and moving the cap back up.
Is there a link where the example of the adjusted beds from the last cycle can be found? I’d be interested in taking a look for myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT