ADVERTISEMENT

How good will Harlan be this year

moneyman83

Freshman
Sep 22, 2006
Obviously be an improved team this year. They only have three home games this year. They open up the season with Denison which should turn out to be one of there easier games. After Denison three tough games come up. At Carroll at Lewis Central then homecoming against Dallas Center. It will be key to stay healthy during those games.

Obviously probably see a lot of Tarney running the ball. Which most teams will try to stop the run. He hits his holes hard and can make big runs and break tackles. He is up to 240 and from what I hear they want him to get quicker. He had issues fumbling the ball and makes some bonehead decisions sometimes. As seen in baseball sliding in to second base man getting thrown out of the game and suspended the next one. He did it again in the state tournament to but they didn't throw him out in that game though even Ron on the radio said they could of. He will make the big play but he makes mistakes at key times most of the time mental mistakes. Fumbled the ball quite a bit last year. Doesn't always give his all every play.

Another key for Harlan will be keeping Juhl healthy and they need him to make better throws if they are going to win games. He had 14 interceptions last year and 5 td. He saw a lot of open targets last year he either overthrew or underthrew. Just wasn't accurate with his throws. People are going to try to stop the run and make Juhl beat them through the air. He is going to see a lot of blitzes and pressure we will see if he can stay healthy. He will have to be able to make the throws if Harlan is going to have a good season.

Hosack isn't coaching this year so obvious weak point is going to be the offense again. Juhl didn't coach last year but he decided to come back and coach this year. Harlan coaches are Bladt, Carstens, Kohorst, Juhl and Todd Bladt.

Im guessing Harlan improves from 3-6 to 5-4.

qb juhl was not good last year...hopefully he improves a lot..or they have someone eles....if a team has a poor qb, it more than not determines success of the team....i agree...5-4 prediction is a realistic prediction of this team

coach bladt stated in preseason article that qb juhl is healty this year, and throwing the ball well and also have serveral recievers this year that can catch it...also noted that harlan should be able to run the ball , with guys that can move it....will see friday night against dension, which returns a huge offensive line....harlan has 18 guys that started last year, and 22 seniors....complete opposite of last yr with 4 seniors....should be a better team this year...one conern is 2 sophs playing on offensive line, and line not that big except for center

Last edited:
3A Class Rank: 35 Conference: 3A-8 Record: (0-0) Overall: (0-0) Overall Strength = 149.58

N Date Location C Stren Pts Opp O Cl Rk ( W- L) Opponent Resid M Predict
1 08/28/2015 Away 3A 39 ( 0- 0) Denison-Schleswig 3.09
2 09/04/2015 Away 3A 3 ( 0- 0) Carroll -30.50
3 09/11/2015 Away 4A 10 ( 0- 0) CB Lewis Central -30.53
4 09/18/2015 Home * 3A 9 ( 0- 0) Dallas Center-Grimes -20.91
5 09/25/2015 Away * 3A 44 ( 0- 0) Atlantic 9.78
6 10/02/2015 Home * 3A 30 ( 0- 0) Winterset -4.53
7 10/09/2015 Away * 3A 14 ( 0- 0) Creston COM -17.99
8 10/16/2015 Away * 3A 43 ( 0- 0) Glenwood 8.97
9 10/23/2015 Home * 3A 32 ( 0- 0) Adel ADM -3.37
Averages 149.58 0.0 0.0

Bc computer model has Harlan just winning three games again. I talked to a guy that has a grandson on the team and he said he wouldn't be surprised if we won two games. Dad and sister went to the scrimmage said Juhl looks good but the defense looked horrible. Take what you will out of a scrimmage but like you said tomorrow night we can tell where they are at. Denison hasn't been much competition for Harlan at football since about 2004 but the computer only has us as 3 pt favorites going into tommorows game.

3A Class Rank: 35 Conference: 3A-8 Record: (0-0) Overall: (0-0) Overall Strength = 149.58

N Date Location C Stren Pts Opp O Cl Rk ( W- L) Opponent Resid M Predict
1 08/28/2015 Away 3A 39 ( 0- 0) Denison-Schleswig 3.09
2 09/04/2015 Away 3A 3 ( 0- 0) Carroll -30.50
3 09/11/2015 Away 4A 10 ( 0- 0) CB Lewis Central -30.53
4 09/18/2015 Home * 3A 9 ( 0- 0) Dallas Center-Grimes -20.91
5 09/25/2015 Away * 3A 44 ( 0- 0) Atlantic 9.78
6 10/02/2015 Home * 3A 30 ( 0- 0) Winterset -4.53
7 10/09/2015 Away * 3A 14 ( 0- 0) Creston COM -17.99
8 10/16/2015 Away * 3A 43 ( 0- 0) Glenwood 8.97
9 10/23/2015 Home * 3A 32 ( 0- 0) Adel ADM -3.37
Averages 149.58 0.0 0.0

Bc computer model has Harlan just winning three games again. I talked to a guy that has a grandson on the team and he said he wouldn't be surprised if we won two games. Dad and sister went to the scrimmage said Juhl looks good but the defense looked horrible. Take what you will out of a scrimmage but like you said tomorrow night we can tell where they are at. Denison hasn't been much competition for Harlan at football since about 2004 but the computer only has us as 3 pt favorites going into tommorows game.

Moneyball, do you understand using Moore at this point of the season is 100% based on last season? It completely in no way factors in anything which maybe be different with this years team.

Harlan is 2 waying much more in recent years than they used to just like many other teams. That often makes it difficult to get a good picture from scrimmages.

Well money dude gramps doesn't really know much now does he. A lot of your info if just wrong. Juhl is not coaching, Tarney is at 212 but a lot stronger and leaner and a bit faster. Defense is small but pretty feisty and quick as Carroll found out. Those little guys ate up the behemoths in Carroll.

Seeing as they are 2-0 right now it's a good bet grandpa would have lost money in Vegas

I never said he didn't know a lot. I am going by the fall sports schedule handed out by the Harlan Community High School so apparently they have the wrong info. I would be more than happy to show it to you. It says 2015 fall sports schedule. Hchs football it has the schedule and the coaches says assistant coaches: Ken Carstens, Mark Kohorst, Kelly Juhl, Todd Bladt. My only mistake is listening to something the high school hands out and believing it to be fact. Like I said I would be more than happy to show you, Curt Bladt, Ken Carstens, Kelly Juhl, or any one else that would like to see it. Its an error done by the school if it is correct he is not coaching. He is listed on propaganda as a coach put out by the school.

Say what you will about Carroll they were a preseason 3 beat Kuemper 24-7 dropped to 10 then lost to Harlan 36-0 and dropped all the way to 30th. They aren't even in the top half of teams in 3a.

I never said he didn't know a lot. I am going by the fall sports schedule handed out by the Harlan Community High School so apparently they have the wrong info. I would be more than happy to show it to you. It says 2015 fall sports schedule. Hchs football it has the schedule and the coaches says assistant coaches: Ken Carstens, Mark Kohorst, Kelly Juhl, Todd Bladt. My only mistake is listening to something the high school hands out and believing it to be fact. Like I said I would be more than happy to show you, Curt Bladt, Ken Carstens, Kelly Juhl, or any one else that would like to see it. Its an error done by the school if it is correct he is not coaching. He is listed on propaganda as a coach put out by the school.

Say what you will about Carroll they were a preseason 3 beat Kuemper 24-7 dropped to 10 then lost to Harlan 36-0 and dropped all the way to 30th. They aren't even in the top half of teams in 3a.
Maybe it's time for you to shut up before you dig a hole so deep you can't get out. There are so many inaccuracies in your first post besides the Coach Juhl comment that it's hard to believe. Not to mention your incorrect opinion and commentary. Do us all a favor and "zip it"

Reactions: ghost80
You know when the last time Harlan won a title at football was that's right 11 years ago. Todd doesn't have any titles in 12 years of coaching maybe 13. Im 6'2 302 you can think your real bad hiding behind your computer.

All right money man. I am 6' 2" 245 and Tarney's dad is 6' 225"....there you go. not hiding there. I know he sits at the very top of the stands and although he doesn't have an account he said if you'd like to talk you can't miss him...he has the giant scar on his neck from a recent surgery.....

Not quite sure if you are a harlan person or just someone that has a grudge...We think we have a good idea of who you are though....wink wink.....jealous?
Anyway here's a few facts for you.....

with regards to harlan and titles...yup you are right. pretty good observation there.

Some facts for you
Tarney fumbled twice last year - one against DCG and he was pulled and once against ADM on a play that might have got them into the playoffs...not quite fumbling quite a bit and he was asophomore stepping in at TB for a team that has not had too many underclassman step in at TB ever much less a sophomore.

Tarney is not 240 as stated

Tarney makes bonehead decisions sometimes? No S**T? He's 16...talking to his dad the mistakes he makes on the field don't compare to the crap he pulls at home

The slide into second against Creston was viewed on the film. Nothing wrong with it at and as a matter of fact the kid that got hurt ran about 10 feet toward the dugout before he collapsed. he was out the next inning with no limp at all. The ump even admitted that it wasn't that bad and it should not have resulted in an ejection.

The slide at state was not even questionable at all and Ron has tendency to overreact sometimes.and the kid came in to shut down one of if not the best teams in the state last year to get to the championship and hit the leadoff double to secure the lead against Pella.

Juhl threw 14 picks? Um....have no idea where you are getting that from.....he threw 6.

Juhl was hurt 75% of the season and did not play much. Oh by the way Tarney missed a block that caused Juhl to get hurt....bonehead decision.

Juhl threw 2 scores

Juhl was constantly on his back foot all of the time.

Juhl came back and was still keeping off his weak leg

Hosack coached DBs and the defense and really didn't do much with the offense.

I won't go into all of the other wrongs with calling out kids.

If you are from harlan and we know you are, how can you be so wrong about so much?

Reactions: ghost80
I get confused at the third sentence where you say :
if you'd like to talk you can't miss him...he has the giant scar on his neck from a recent surgery.....
I'm not going to the game to talk to myself.

I don't have a problem with Tarney, you, or anyone else on the team. My hole point is if I didn't win a title at something for 13 years you guys would tell me I don't know what i'm doing. Whether its fantasy sports, poker, work or whatever else. You would do what you can to get me banned as a matter of fact. I'll give an example. Say you go to school for 13 years and you get one A on a test in math in that period of time. Would you think that person knows what they are doing? Or someone goes to work and has one good day in 13 years would you think that's a good employee? Or a coach at iowa that coaches for 13 years and doesn't make a bowl game. Is that really a good coach? Would he not be fired. A Bladt does it and he is one of the greatest most intelligent people ever.

I am Tarneys father and I will tell you... Yup he's not the shiniest apple on the tree sometimes.

I will say 99% of what you said in your original post was wrong.I would go to your source and ask where this info came from.

I am my kids biggest critic and I will tell you if you want to call his slide anything but legit you have no clue. I apologized to the creston fans at the end of the game because I thought the same thing..
. until I saw the video. Bad call without a doubt and the second baseman should have been given an award for the acting job.

As for bladt you again show your ignorance. Believe me last year things got ugly and people were questioning. That's one season. Look around its high school and it happens everywhere.

I cannot see how the hell you can call bladt out on anything. Look at the record books. Show me anywhere at 3a or 4a that continued success. And I don't mean just Iowa. The guy does things with kids that is just short of unbelievable. Harlan may not ever have the best guys but bladt had proven he can coach a team up.

I also love how people get on these boards and criticize 15 16 17 year old kids. I am in no way defending my kid but only I can say he is an idiot because he is my idiot. I will tell you i am not the badass in my family nick is and i wouldnt make him mad. Hes a pretty tough kid and he handles all of my dirty work these days.

As oonfoofoo said I will be under the press box when dcg comes to Harlan and I will be backing my kid. Harlan football and Curt Bladt and his staff. You are more than welcome to sit with me and my family and meet us. I guarantee most of what you will here is what my little nutty job does wrong and not right as most people in Harlan that know me will say.

Yours truly not hiding behind a keyboard
Ted Tarney.

Hey - could any of you guys tell the rest of us, which of the below items y'all are using?
Perhaps y'all are overdosing? Wow, whichever one it is, it appears to be working:

Ageless Male, Alzare, Andro, Enlarge, Androzene, Argin Max, Argionic Capsules, Aspire 36, Avela, Avocet XL, Ball Refill, Betterman, Big Stick, Blast XL, Chainsaw, Climatrol, Colossal, Core Cutter Plus, Damiana, Deferol, Deltophan, Donginator, Elexia, Endowmax, Enzyte, Erectinol, Erotic, EV Strike, Excalibur, Extagen, Extendacal, Extendor, Extra, Grow XL, Hereberex, Horny Goat Weed, Horny Toad, Hot Plants, Irexis, Jenasol, Lean Muscle X, Levitrol, Lexaryn, Libido Fuel, Long Man, Luvtrak, Maca Magic, Maca Man, Male Fuel , Max Arouse, Max Viril, Maxativa, Maxoderm, Mojo Magnum, Natural Sex, Nitro Ignite, O Max, Orivax, P Boost, Paravol, PE Control, Predoxen, Pro Plus Pills, Prolixus, Promaxis RX, Promaxum, Provigro, Red Kat, Red Rhino,, Ripped Muscle X, Ropex, Russian Stallion, Sildenaflex, Size Gain, Size Max, Stim U Sens, Stimulin, Super Nature V, Triverex, Uprima, V 4 Men, Vahard, Vazomyne, Vazopren, Viag Cycle, Viridex XT, Viswiss, Vital Erotic, Vitrix, Vivaxa, Vydox, Wildman X, Wrecking Balls, Wydenz, Xanogen, Xytomax, Yohimbe Fuel, Zupro - (I was hoping to see some brand name like'Goat" something, or “She thinks my Tractor's sexy”).

This reminds me of some kind of a TV Soap show.

Give it a rest - please, it's just a comment board, not WWE.

Moneyman -- you claim Harlan hasn't won a title in 11 years. Wouldn't titles in 2005 and 2009 qualify as inside of 11 years?

By the way, you do know that Coach Bladt and the various members of his staff have 11 state championships and a 386-51 or 387-51 record, correct?

With the continued stagnation and/or declining population in the rural areas and the steady and/or growing population in urban areas, as well as the continued modernization of farming (farm many more acres with way less people leads to much smaller farm families), Harlan is fighting a tough battle to field teams similar to those in the past.

With that said, no one is going to feel sorry for Harlan, nor should they. But if you are going to disparage Harlan, at least come up with a credible argument that is factually correct.

IMO the answer to the name of this thread will play out this week. DCG is a solid team but as Pella proved they are not at the top of the food chain.

A win over DCG would further prove in my mind that Harlan is a good team.....BUT if they want to be considered a serious contender it will take a very convincing win over DCG.

My prediction is a Harlan win on Friday but I don't know by how much.

Agree, stick. This is a great test for Harlan and also a great barometer for DCG to see how they have progressed since the Pella game. I didn't think DCG would beat ADM by 28, so they had a nice performance last week. That district is shaping up to be pretty tough.

I'm not overly sold on ADM yet this season. They only beat Perry by 1 in week one and since then Perry has lost to North Polk and Gilbert by a combined 68-0. As expected Perry is really struggling to score without WW.

ADM and DCG is a good rivalry but I wasn't surprised by the outcome.

28 points? A beat down, no wiz bombs or whatever the guy a few years ago always yapped about.

Might be quiet b/c the answer is still unknown. Game against DCG did not tell much. Was an awful night for weather (not sure what they had). I see that DCG had given up 2 picks, but recovered 3 fumbles. Ground game for Harlan seems like it was underwhelming. Still questions lingering.....was not decisive on either side. One question I do have for Stick is why don't they play Washington on offense. With his punt return I would think he could play jet/WR?

Might be quiet b/c the answer is still unknown. Game against DCG did not tell much. Was an awful night for weather (not sure what they had). I see that DCG had given up 2 picks, but recovered 3 fumbles. Ground game for Harlan seems like it was underwhelming. Still questions lingering.....was not decisive on either side. One question I do have for Stick is why don't they play Washington on offense. With his punt return I would think he could play jet/WR?

Sorry El Doce, been busy getting ready for a trip and missed your question.

Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer about Washington on offense.

DCG seems to have good number of kids who can contribute so they tend to have fewer kids going both ways than some schools. Trey has done very nicely last year (SO) and this year on defense and special teams and his run back the other night won't hurt his chances to get into the offense. Personally I'd like to see him pulled in for a reverse or other exotic play but unless he gets reps in the receiver pool a defense will easily sniff that out. DCG will graduate enough of their offense this year that next year as a senior he may get more offensive opportunities.

As for Friday's game I think little was learned but in my gut neither DCG nor Harlan is going to be a title contender this season. Both are having good seasons and I'd expect DCG's season to play out similar to last year. They could make the dome but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a good showing there. As for Harlan it is looking to me that unless something unforeseen happens, I'm seeing them in the regular season either 8-1 or 7-2 and likely playing at Home in the first round of the playoffs.

CID....it must have sounded like an artillery barrage at my neighbors by the river. The 55 they hung on Atlantic is the most points scored in 4 years....they probably sent Caribou Lou to Missouri to restock before their next game !!!! (I wonder if they got those white helmets muddy?)

Good luck all and hopefully the injury bug keeps far away......see you around the playoffs!!

The only DCG player to play both sides of the ball this season has been Kloewer. Trey played WR last season some. For the last 3 seasons they have a defensive unit and DCG has not played its best football yet this season. I have my opinion why this game was closer than it really was but I will keep that to myself because it is just that, an opinion. Harlan is a good football team. DCG's defense played pretty damn well and held Tarney in check causing two fumbles. He is a pretty good running back. The game plan for DCG was to run the ball and Harlan pretty much put 10 men in the box. I believe there leading tackler was a defensive back. It was a good game and both teams are off to good starts. As Stickman said, see you around the playoff!

Bump.

Harlan. 8-1, District Champs. Lot of naysayers 2-3 months ago who are now mysteriously quiet. Moneyman?? BC?? (projecting a preseason 3-6 record).

Sorry El Doce, been busy getting ready for a trip and missed your question.

Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer about Washington on offense.

DCG seems to have good number of kids who can contribute so they tend to have fewer kids going both ways than some schools. Trey has done very nicely last year (SO) and this year on defense and special teams and his run back the other night won't hurt his chances to get into the offense. Personally I'd like to see him pulled in for a reverse or other exotic play but unless he gets reps in the receiver pool a defense will easily sniff that out. DCG will graduate enough of their offense this year that next year as a senior he may get more offensive opportunities.

As for Friday's game I think little was learned but in my gut neither DCG nor Harlan is going to be a title contender this season. Both are having good seasons and I'd expect DCG's season to play out similar to last year. They could make the dome but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a good showing there. As for Harlan it is looking to me that unless something unforeseen happens, I'm seeing them in the regular season either 8-1 or 7-2 and likely playing at Home in the first round of the playoffs.

CID....it must have sounded like an artillery barrage at my neighbors by the river. The 55 they hung on Atlantic is the most points scored in 4 years....they probably sent Caribou Lou to Missouri to restock before their next game !!!! (I wonder if they got those white helmets muddy?)

Good luck all and hopefully the injury bug keeps far away......see you around the playoffs!!

Week nine and the Stangs get bit hard by the injury bug. Carlisle has always been an opportunistic team and they may very well derail DCG this week.

I was unable to attend the game last Friday. Did the concussion occur while DCG was on offense or defense?

Week nine and the Stangs get bit hard by the injury bug. Carlisle has always been an opportunistic team and they may very well derail DCG this week.

I was unable to attend the game last Friday. Did the concussion occur while DCG was on offense or defense?

Kloewer's concussion happened on the first drive of the second half against Creston/O-M.

Stickman80, no disrespect but I believe they are district co champs. Just like DCG and Glenwood. But yes. I believe a few need a dish of crow and I would be one of them. I did not think they would be this good this season. Good luck in the playoffs.

Reactions: The_Neem
they turned out pretty good. score of glenwood game was not indicative for 3 quarters. Sacrificed a guy or two on Tarney all night but he came through in the fourth qtr.

You can't keep bladt and his tradition down too long. I think they are back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT