ADVERTISEMENT

Has sportsmanship changed? An observation

Sep 4, 2007
How has Sportsmanship changed?
I'll admit to being old school on many things, though I love the new athleticism-it is fun to watch! I'm even ready to jump in on the shot clock for high school, bring it on.

However, I'm not ready to give up on sportsmanship. Saturday I watched ISU's Cameron Lard foul Trey Young on a drive. It wasn't a particularly hard foul, but Young went to the floor as he does on most drives. Lard offered him a hand and Young very intentionally avoided and rejected his hand. I was impressed that Lard proceeded to ask if Young was ok. I liked what Lard did on that play - hard aggressive play, yet shows respect for your opponent. It's what I teach my kids and players I've coached.

This week, the exact same thing happened at a high school boys game and a girl's game - one on a team I was cheering for, and another by opposing team.

This is not an indictment on Trey Young - it seems this is what is being modeled and perhaps is being taught. When someone goes to the floor in an nba or college game, three teammates will sprint to help a teammate on the ground who in the meantime rejects a hand up by a worthy opponent. Who teaches this?

Again I admit old school tendencies, but I really dislike this mindset that is now down to the high school level and very prevalent in AAU ball, even at the grade school level.

Meanwhile, my boys will be offering a hand, whether or not it is accepted.

Do you know you posted in baseball? I see great sportsmanship from my son's team and his opponents in the south iowa cedar league.

I get your point, and it is a little more of a "me first" world right now, and more in-your-face. I don't like it either. However, I will say that in the conference I watch most often in person, the 14-team MVC (Mississippi Valley Conference) the sportsmanship is excellent, and may be even better than it was decades ago. Because so many of these kids play together in AAU ball or grade and middle school teams, there isn't the hostility of years past.

Reactions: ustabe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT