ADVERTISEMENT

harlan preview

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
i got the harlan paper today, they look like they are loaded this year, could be their year to loose...so much talent and experiecne returns from last year. connor frame(wr) and will mclaughlin(lb) were both 1st team all state last year, mclaughlin commited to iowa state. junior aidan hall(wr) was named 2nd team all state, while seniors bieker(dl) fah(lb) and moser were third team all state. returning junior qb kasperbauer lead 3a in passing last year with 2500 yds .here is the shocker, will mclaughlin will see time at fb, he will be a load in the back field, 6ft 3 -225lb coming at ya...then add new promising (te)jacob birch to the mix....coach bladt said he has some speed and wheels out there, and some others that will pop up too. the offensive line is not small like last year either, which average about 200lb last yr..this years group is around 225, and one at 265...most of the line retures....see what happens when the season starts, but that is a lot of talent returing for the cyclones. on defense, harlan returns 8 defensive players with starting experience that allowed 15 pts per game last year..harlan has a very tough non district schedule , with some heavy hitters in there- grinell, sargent bluff, glenwood, and lewis central...those game should be a good measuring stick for the cylones ....see what happens friday night aginst 4a lewis central

Last edited:
Seems odd harlan is not 4a
Harlan is the 22nd from the largest in 3A our of 36, so really in the bottom third, with a 363 BED counts, compared to the smallest in 3A with 322 (Atlantic) and the largest with 422 (Keokuk and Carroll). So they are 59 students smaller than the smallest 4A (Perry).

thks......yea, harlan is some ways from 4a for sure...they lost a ton of kids since i went there. i have a 1969 yr book from when i attended school there, will see if i can find it and see how many they actually lost........
i just looked at my 1969 yr book from harlan , 210 kids in my class. what a decrease in numbers over the years..if i remember right, harlan was allmost at big as lewis central back then.

Last edited:
Lewis Central has a really good offensive and defensive line, Hunter Deyo is headed to Iowa State and is a monster/ started since his freshman year. QB is coach's son, played well last year. Nick Miller is also someone to watch on both sides of the ball along with the Hatcher young man. Both are big, fast , and athletic. Harlan would have the edge this year, but LC should have last year. Good game for western Iowa!!

Lewis Central has a really good offensive and defensive line, Hunter Deyo is headed to Iowa State and is a monster/ started since his freshman year. QB is coach's son, played well last year. Nick Miller is also someone to watch on both sides of the ball along with the Hatcher young man. Both are big, fast , and athletic. Harlan would have the edge this year, but LC should have last year. Good game for western Iowa!!
lewis central has allways been tough, lot of close games over the years bewtween titans and cyclones. the last one i saw there harlan was just too good, it was sort of blow out. i believe that was when kruse was running back at harlan, they trouched everyone that year.
i wish i could come this year, but will be there for sure next year. my plans are i am going to take vocation at that time of year,it was 1995 since i saw the last game in sw iowa. i use to see a couple of games a year but since i changed occupations, that changed. lot of the games are online, though i dont believe this one is...i will be able to see harlan vs grinell online.maybe i can find that place that u pay to watch? i got a cousin that lives in coucill bluffs, and a girl that lived 5 miles from me while i lived on the farm,, works the food shack. not sure if she teaches there at lewis central

harlan,s coaching staff is sure changing, bummer was added last year i bleive, and another new coach this year. coach hoch that helped with the defense last year, is gone. i was wroing, matt hoch still teaching at harlan, not coaching this year..if i remember right, he might of got a new coaching job somewhere eles.i haterd to see that, but i quess he saw head job at harlan would not be there since bladt took over. it would not surprise me if another bladt becomes coach there too

friday nights game should be a good one, bcmore has the titans ranked 2nd behind north scott, and the register has the titans at #3....

Last edited:
Really Harlan has owned SW Iowa and Iowa for a good stretch. When Jim Duggan started coaching at LC, and of course his son Max who was and is really good was playing, the scales tipped in LC's favor. What's interesting is Lewis Central continues to produce D1 athletes in bunches, but can't seem to get over the hump. We will see if this year is different/ good measuring stick for both teams!!

Really Harlan has owned SW Iowa and Iowa for a good stretch. When Jim Duggan started coaching at LC, and of course his son Max who was and is really good was playing, the scales tipped in LC's favor. What's interesting is Lewis Central continues to produce D1 athletes in bunches, but can't seem to get over the hump. We will see if this year is different/ good measuring stick for both teams!!
i believe if jim duggan was still there, things maybe have changed for the better for the titans..jim wanted to watch his son play college ball, i cannot blame him.

there probably will be big crowd at this one and its one of the better games around friday. i just wondered if u know if its going to be streamed? i am going to look on the net myself and see if i can find someone streaming it.
i believe the key to stop harlan will be getting a rush on the qb, and stop the cyclones passing attack. l watched a bunch of their games last year, and the cyclones ablliity to get the ball down the field in the hurry with their 30 -40 yrd passes won them a lot of games last year..............going to be a barnburner

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be streamed, usually on one of the schools twitter accounts or related social media accounts. I actually think Harlan is a 10 point favorite.

Harlan pulled it out. Good game. LC fumbled with 3 minutes left and Harlan had 2 quick scores. Fans stormed the field. Came down to the last play. Great 1st game!!

i was shocked.....thought lewis central was going to win at half time.....they had 8 men in the backfield to stop the pass, and i thought it was over for the cyclones...the game must of had the fans shaking in their boots

schlemmer ......were u at the game....? if so , was there a big crowd...i had no idea lewis central has such a good team, they got some awesome players

schlemmer ......were u at the game....? if so , was there a big crowd...i had no idea lewis central has such a good team, they got some awesome players.....lewis central plays carlisle next week. .....they were loosers tonight...winterset 26....carlisle 3......
calprep-----
harlan 21
lewis central 20
very accurate.

next week
lewis central 40
carlisle 20

harlan 38
grinell 19

Last edited:
I was not, From what I was told Harlan's defense played 22 players which helped last night. Very hot and humid-also Harlan's line gave their QB a lot of time to throw the ball which really helped. LC fumbled and gave up some real quick scores which is a credit to Harlan. Was an outstanding game by all accounts.

ok, thks. i dont think anyone is going to run against lewis central, they have some studs on that defensive line, could be one of the better defensive lines in all classes. i wonder if harlan even had 5 yrs rushing

Well I don't think the QB from Harlan was touched all night. They really gave him time to "pitch and catch"

To your point the D- line is good, but dropping back 8 and still getting burned on the go ahead TD with a long , well thrown pass was partially a function of little or no pressure on the QB. The D- line needs to be more than 1 dimensional.

To your point the D- line is good, but dropping back 8 and still getting burned on the go ahead TD with a long , well thrown pass was partially a function of little or no pressure on the QB. The D- line needs to be more than 1 dimensiona
still think lewis central will be very hard to beat, my opinion.........what radio station did u listen to the game on????i might listen to a few of their games this year

the total yardage in the game was allmost even, 394 vs 384 ..onlly 2 turnovers, but both resulted in td,s. the stat that surprised me is the harlans qb threw for 46 times for 356 yds. how often u see a qb throw that much? appears to be 2 evenly matched teams, tough one to loose for the looser...if they happen to play again, which they will not, would not place my money on either. one cool factor in the game, 2 d-1 players that will be teamates next year at iowa state

Last edited:
Yes, talked to a Harlan dad tonight, he said Harlan would win it all this year.

they would be heavy favorites to win the district...its not a tough districk by any stretch of the imagination

I go to either teams football twitter page and one will usually have it available.

I saw a list of HS games on ESPN, there wasn’t any game involving Iowa team(s) listed.
should be a good game, some experince coming back on both teams. a rematch of state champs, how often does that happe,n?...hopefully i can watch it online....wanted to come back there and see it in person, wont happen this year.....

Last edited:
Ronsss, Travel is horrible right now. I talked to a buddy who has a kid on Harlan's team. I believe they feel they are a 7 to 14 point favorite. LC had a tough night against class 1A Underwood in week #0. I can tell you the place will be absolutely packed.

its was a good game. lewis central behind by 11 with 3m to go and pull out the win.....the titans wanted this one bad

Both teams played and were coached extremely well. LC's best player who has 2- D1 offers wasn't able to go, But I feel the biggest advantage was LC having a week #0 game. Around here they called tonight's game "Night of Champions"- biggest crowd ever at an LC game. They brought in extra vendors. Best of luck to both Western Iowa schools the rest of the way!!

wish i could see replay of lewis centrals on side kick they recovered...that was a great play...never seen one like that before

Last edited:
They work on it all the time.- Legal- Several questionable calls overall. Harlan's fullback hurdled over defenders which is not legal in H.S., but subject to interpretation. Also Birch ( excellent Cyclone receiver) by accounts on both sides got away with several offensive interference infractions. I believe the refs were cautious/ their 1st game of the season. People got their money's worth on this one. When LC was down 11 with 3 minutes to play the Harlan student section chanted " Maybe next year" as some LC fans left. They were right to be confident, I haven't seen Harlan give up 11 points in 3 mins/ usually, like last year/ other way around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT