ADVERTISEMENT

Harlan over rated??

Mar 7, 2007
I heard that Harlan lost to Oakland Riverside 2-0 .....if this is true wouldn't everyone agree Harlan does not deserve to be in the ratings?? Also I saw that Lewis Central only beat Atlantic by 1. Is Atlantic good this season or is Lewis Central just that bad??

What you need to understand is that most of the rankings for this 2007 season are from the finishing of the 2006 state tournement. Most of the time, if not all all the time, the teams that place in the tournement will be ranked the next season.

To say Harlan shouldn't have made the state tournament last year sounds like a little jealousy problem. It's simple, they won their playoff games and made the state tournament. Yeah, sure they didn't do the best once they got there.. but you're talking about a school that is dominant in all sports. Those players that are on their state championship basketball, football, and baseball teams are the players that make up their soccer team. Don't you think they know a little something about what it takes to be in the state tournament? Harlan will most likely drop out of the 'Preseason' rankings soon, because it sounds like they aren't doing too well now. Like Warrior said above, the preseason rankings are almost a mirror image of how the state tournament ended the previous season.

a jealousy problem....are u kidding me....i simply said they shouldn't have made it to state last year i didn't say anything about them being bad in other sports....and frankly they have been dominant in most sports...but that doesn't mean they are good at soccer.....i think if u were at their substate game last year you would have a differnt persepctive too......there is no way they should have made won it....

anyways grassferry i think u know who i am and u should know that I don't have a problem with jealousy

i was kidding about the jealousy problem.. but you can't say they shouldn't have made state. I would agree they weren't a top 8 team in the state, and I would also agree that Glenwood would beat them 8/10 times. The team that won the substate final is the team that deserves to be there.

No, I don't.. but i'm interested now.. what school do you go to?

Anybody watching the game they won to get to state would agree there was no way they should have won....i don't like to blame any game on the refs but this game was terrible.....and I know all Iowa refs are bad....but these ones were especially bad.....

anyways.....i dont wanna say what school im from but i have practiced against with u and against u many times.....so i dont know if that helps u or not...

quit complaining about them "sneaking their way into state." they made it and they got handled in the first round. who cares? stuff happens in substate play... look at adel last year? that substate was "STACKED," [note: sarcasm] with high record teams. i believe adel, bondurant, nevada, and perry were all in that substate. bondurant who was 20+ wins and 1 loss. nevada who was in the state tourney in 2004. perry who is always pretty successful and adel who is now starting to play up at the level. it all comes down to game tiem and who wants it more. harlan is a little over ranked, i agree. but give them the credit and the benefit of the doubt to start out the season with because they were in fact one of the 8 teams that made it to the tournament.

/thread

Yes, Harlan is overrated but that isn't their fault. They pretty much knew they shouldn't have been ranked 7th for a few reasons. First of all, they lost numerous players to graduation. Also, their best forward is out for 9 games due to grades, along with their goalie being out for 9 games due to other infractions. Without those two guys, they are hurting a little but are getting better game by game. They are lacking a true scoring threat and also are starting a sophomore goalie with very little experience.

Harlan Is amazingly bad this year, not to mention that last year was all luck for them... they play a Kick-n-Run style and just hope to out run you on a fast breeak. Lewis Central beat them 4-2 last night.

Harlan Is amazingly bad this year, not to mention that last year was all luck for them... they play a Kick-n-Run style and just hope to out run you on a fast break. Lewis Central beat them 4-2 last night.

I wouldn't say it was all luck. They had more athletic kids on their team. So if you broke it down athlete for athlete, it was always in Harlans favor.

if i just read that correctly... did u say that 9/10 soccer players are also football players?

are you retarded?

maybe more like 9/10 players at harlan play everysport. athletes..

I hate to break your heart but high school soccer is mostly football players playing soccer. There really isn't a team with 18 pure "soccer players" on this side of the state. With that said, athletism rules.

So I don't disagree with you Herren, but you don't find a high school team around that has 18 players that play all year round.

Husker- "There really isn't a team with 18 pure "soccer players" on this side of the state"

You right, and thats my point! you say ATL is on the rise( and they are; compaired to last year) but many teams in SW Iowa are behind, Lc Harlan ATl and all the rest. Teams in des moines, and eastern iowa are years ahead of the Hawk 10 and other SWI Conf. and other teams like Tri-center and Riverside. Ya its great to see schools that have been big in football and basketball, finally having a soccer team.

I like to see coaches like Jason Dulberg going out and taking the initiative and getting some more education. Which is more than what all but two mens coaches in the city do. Sid thinks he knows it all, as well as Lorkavic as does Anderson and that short little guy that looks like trailor trash. This is my reasoning behind saying that ATL is on the rise because your team will develope as your coach does.
This post was edited on 5/17 6:13 PM by husker_4 lifeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT