ADVERTISEMENT

Harlan @ Heelan

Crusader Power

Freshman
Nov 12, 2001
Pre-game article..from the SC Journal:

SIOUX CITY | If Bishop Heelan and Harlan haven't become
Iowa high school football's best new rivalry of the 21st century, the two
perennial gridiron powers aren't far from it.

And, they'll go at it again tonight at Memorial Field in
a 7 o'clock state quarterfinal playoff clash that marks their sixth postseason
meeting in seven years -- a tradition dating back to Heelan's second year as a
3A school.

"Heelan and Harlan, it's going to be fun -- it always
is,'' said Roger Jansen, whose top-ranked Heelan team improved to 11-0 with a
hard-earned 28-10 win over Spencer in a second-round battle Monday night at
Memorial.

Harlan, which has won a record 12 state championships,
kept its bid for a 13th alive with a 21-18 squeaker over Carroll in another
Monday contest. The win enabled the Cyclones, 10-1, to avenge their lone
setback, a 14-7 loss Sept. 20 in a game star running back Nate Gettys missed
with an ankle sprain.

The teams' first four playoff encounters were also all
quarterfinals, running in succession from 2007 through 2010 with Heelan winning
three out of four. However, a 2011 tussle was a first-round tussle at Olsen
Stadium, where Harlan rallied from an early 14-10 deficit to pull off a 35-30
upset win.

That come-from-behind verdict for a Harlan team that had
gone 6-3 -- remarkably, the worst regular season mark ever for longtime Coach
Curt Bladt -- allowed the Cyclones to maintain their spectacular streak of 32
wins in as many first-round state playoff games.

But the streak came to an end last year, when Carroll
sent Harlan to the sidelines with a 28-7 loss in the opening round. So, this is
Heelan's first opportunity to avenge the 2011 heartbreaker. And, the wound is
still surprisingly fresh.

"That was a game that I basically lost for that team and
I don't care what anybody says,'' said Jansen. "I just made some boneheaded
calls that didn't give those kids an opportunity to have a season.''

Jansen's primary regret is an unsuccessful fourth-down
gamble after Harlan sliced the early 14-0 deficit in half with Lucas Musich's
89-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Four plays after the Cyclones kicked it
back to Heelan, Jansen spurned a punt on fourth-and-one from Heelan's 29 and
paid the price with a Harlan stop that set up a short field for a game-tying
touchdown.

The game was tied 21-21 at halftime and then Harlan
quarterback Zach Osborn, now starting for Wayne State, hurled his second and
third TD passes of the night to help his team open up a 35-23 third-quarter
lead that Heelan was unable to surmount.
"That's something that's eaten at me for a long time,''

said Jansen.

Heelan, which has reached the 3A state championship game
four times in the last six years, leads Class 3A football with an even 44
points a game. Meanwhile, the Crusaders' defense has kept up its end of the
bargain, limiting Spencer, the No. 1 running team in 3A, to just 27 yards on 30
rushing attempts Monday.

Just 10 nights earlier, Heelan had managed a 42-17 win
over the Tigers despite allowing them 346 yards on the ground.

Harlan will confront the Crusaders with a far more
balanced attack, netting 1,988 yards rushing and 1,626 passing. Gettys, a
6-foot, 165-pound speedster, has 229 carries for 1,404 yards and 16 touchdowns
while quarterback Adam Juhl has completed 124 of 237 passes for 1,601 yards and
18 scores.

That's a potent offense, totaling 3,614 yards, but Heelan
is over 1,000 yards beyond that at 4,621 with quarterback Trent Solsma on track
to erase city records he set last year, passing for 3,149 yards and 39
touchdowns. Solsma is 156 of 226 this fall for 2,549 yards and 33 scores while
junior running back Tony Tobin pushed his season rushing total to 1,114 with a
career-high 168 yards on Monday.

"They're a darned good football team,'' said Bladt, whose
36-year record of 375-43 makes him the second winningest coach ever in Iowa.
"Solsma puts the ball on the money and (Philip) Jacobson is almost unstoppable.
And, then they throw a little running attack in there and play great defense.
That's a good combination.''

Bladt's reference to Jacobson, who has 35 catches for 637
yards and seven touchdowns, seemed to disregard Connor Niles, the 3A leader
with 17 touchdown receptions, hauling in 53 passes for 957 yards. However, the
69-year-old Exira native, a 1967 graduate of Morningside, has plenty of
information on an opponent he's been able to anticipate on nearly an annual
basis.

A pairing steeped in history, the game brings together
two of the most successful programs Iowa high school football has ever known.

Besides Emmetsburg (38) and West Des Moines Dowling (36),
Harlan and Heelan rank third and fourth in state playoff appearances with 34
and 33, respectively, in 42 years since the playoffs were introduced.

Harlan, indeed, is the runaway leader in wins with 90
(and only 21 losses), well ahead of Emmetsburg, second at 72. Meanwhile, Heelan
kept pace with Class 4A West Des Moines Valley on Monday as each picked up
their 50th postseason triumph, tied for fifth all-time.

Tonight's winner plays a semifinal next Thursday at the
UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls against either Clear Lake (11-0) or Grinnell (8-3), who
meet tonight in Clear Lake. The other two 3A quarterfinals send Solon (10-1) to
Decorah (11-0) and Washington (10-1) to Pella (11-0).
This post was edited on 11/8 1:36 PM by Crusader Power

great info... , the harlan victory over carroll was the first for the seniors at any level.,,...so that alone was an accomplishment for the team .. i do believe heelan is just too good this year, they handled everyone, and even a good east team. it might be a good game at first, but i believe once heelan gets rolling, its over with.

i do remember that 4th down play that basically cost heelan the game..that was a tough one for sure ...hard to forget a play like that.

This post was edited on 11/8 5:36 PM by ronsss

Two years ago Harlan had football talent with Obsorn now playing for Wayne State, Lansman playing for South Dakota State, Brummer playing for Morningside, Conry playing for Peru and Siebert playing for Drake.

I was a bit surprised to see Harlan's coach whining about the officials in the Omaha WH.....sure there were two tough calls in the end zones but they were probably correct after watching the tape several times.

Remember these officials get one look in real time and sure they miss some but they get a lot more correct than not.

On the punt return for TD, two of his players tripped over each other....that's likely what he saw from the sidelines on his one look in real time.....

I would think a coach with as many wins as him would better understand some years you have the horses and some years you don't....no reason to get all pissy about it and blame the officials.....I do think he understands that the better team won....just like last year for Heelan against Decorah.....they were just significantly better than us last year with a superior running game.....

And as for him saying Heelan tried to bash them in the mouth in the second half???, all I will say about that is that it's hard to play with the same intensity once you've opened up the 31 point lead and then sat down for 15-20 minutes at the half.....

But kudos to his athletes for playing hard the second half....just set a better example for your kids in the post game interviews. Officiating is part of the game and it hurts sometimes when calls are wrong and nobody feels worse about that than the officials. But THIS year, the better team won.....check back next year to see how it goes....always fun to meet rivals.

Best of luck in hoops to Harlan as well.

Bladt is a damn cry baby every year they lose you read this type of crap. He will never accept the fact that his team has gotten owned again. Just to get it straight im a fan of neither team But yes I did go watch and have seen every game these two schools have played. Heelan called the dogs off Friday night. I remember when Heelan got ripped off Mccabes senior year over a call at the goal line. One of the worst calls Ive ever seen in high school football and Ive watched a lot of games in my time. Roger Jansen did not cry or blame anybody he took the lose something Bladt needs to learn how to do.

Nwiaguy.....I had forgotten how rough that call was at Harlan....I was there and it was pretty bad I recall....but you are right you have to accept that and move on.....the thing I really respect about Roger Jansen is how he owed the blundered coaching decision on 4th and 1 two years ago....it was really a n assistants call but he took responsibility for the mistake and apologized to those kids 16 ways to Sunday.....I haven't paid as much attention in years past to the whining but I heard it with my own ears last night when Harlan came off the field at halftime.....yelling at Roger for telling the officials which calls to make.....
Seriously you are down 31-0..... Just own that and go regroup already. The Harlan kids did come out and played hard the second half....and that obviously is some good coaching at the half as well. It is a great rivalry and one I'm sure will continue.

Could not agree with you more Hogan. Roger Jansen has been out coached or has made some stupid decisions and he should of apologized to those kids I was there that night as well and the better team did not win. Back to Bladt I remember in 08 when the Heelan team with Wegher, the older Skibinski and Wright etc manhandled Harlan and he would not give them credit for nothing all he did was complain about officiating and the weather and what ever else he could think of. He is a whiner they did shut them out in the 2nd half however the Heelan offense just looked like they lost their fire in the second half and the Heelan defense was just that much better then the Harlan offense. As I said before I am not a fan of either team really not a Heelan fan at but I do go to a lot games the better for sure won.

i was wondering why coach jansen left his first team in late in the 4th, with a 31-0 lead...maybe he was trying to run the score up on harlan? there were many people surprised about that..maybe coach blladt had thoughts on the same thing.

This post was edited on 11/10 2:51 AM by ronsss

One can always tell the intelligence of a person by the names they call others. It would bode us all well to stop with the name calling.

Originally posted by ronsss:
i was wondering why coach jansen left his first team in late in the 4th, with a 31-0 lead...maybe he was trying to run the score up on harlan? there were many people surprised about that..maybe coach blladt had thoughts on the same thing.

This post was edited on 11/10 2:51 AM by ronsss
Was thinking the same thing. There was no chance Harlan was going to come back from a 31-0 halftime deficit, even if Heelan had substituted liberally beginning in the second half. Teams have played 12 games by this time in the season. Rest your starters, for crying out loud. You don't get up by over four TD's at halftime in a q-final game very often. That was a great opportunity to rest key people, and get a leg up on your next opponent, who probably had to play their starters the whole game just to get by.

In Heelan's last two appearances in the dome ('10 & '12) those teams entered a final or semifinal game as only a shadow of what they were earlier in the season, and it showed with one-sided losses. There's not a lot of depth, and a good number of players--esp linemen--go both ways. You'd think that--with the recent past in mind--they'd jump at the chance to rest people in a q-final game.

I use the term idiot because if anybody would of heard the language or use of language toward his own players, refs, and anybody in general during that game they would have been appalled. Particularly the names he called his own players. I heard it out of his mouth at halftime while he was walking across the field yelling at the refs and jansen and during the game from people who were on the sideline said for Bladt being such a coaching legend they were greatly disappointed in his actions and words Friday night. That's why I say idiot You can talk about my intelligence all you want Im not the one who sounded like an idiot Friday night as Ive said not a fan of either team the better team won good luck Heelan.

This post was edited on 11/12 2:09 PM by nwiaguy

Harlan did not have football talent this year, Heelan was by far the superior team with stronger, bigger and faster players. If Harlan wants to win championships maybe coaches should not be playing the one sport athletes plus Harlan coaches need to start leading by example like maybe lifting in the weight room and stop shoving tobacco products in their mouths.

Harlan was still a good team; they knocked off a good Carroll team to get into the q-finals, and they had only one other loss all year. Heelan was just on a different level. A lot of people think Heelan is a really good 4A team in a really, really good 3A team disguise. Most years and in most sports, that's probably true.

i am sure there are many that do like bladt, due to his success over the years....jansen would more and likely have a view advisories out there too...not going to loose any sleep over this thread

First you are correct, Heelan was better, bigger and faster, Harlan does have to hit the weights - quite frankly it doesn't happen at all in Harlan - the lifting programs sucks. Harlan will see rougher days coming up. However, playing one sport athletes? What do you mean by that? Most kids in Harlan that are somewhat good play basketball and baseball and some do wrestle.

And it's not only tobacco!

Beyrink plays against harlan in playoffs and it's carroll getting the crap beat out of it in Sioux City instead of Harlan

Yes a lot of the starters do play in other sports, but a lot do not. 3 do not on the o line and 2 do not on the d line. I am not including golf as an other sport. Some kids that do play in basketball, wrestling, baseball and soccer are standing on the sidelines. That is why you are seeing decreased football numbers. Do not understand the coaches rewarding laziness. Harlan needs to get a teacher/trainer in the system to help with correct lifting , programs for different sports, speed & agility drills and nutritional education. That's what schools are now embracing.

This post was edited on 11/21 1:24 AM by cyfan15

Who is your Physical Education Teacher and what does she or he do then? Most times we only hear of the PET's who just become post turtles. If you want to make an improvement in kids, you have to be involved in more than just going through the list of what's been done in the past. If your wieght room isn't getting the numbers of kids out or the results, it could be that there is no direction from the staff.

I'm not sure kids playing on the football field who aren't out for other sports is rewarding laziness, maybe they are better players, than the ones on the sidelines, and are concentrating on football.

Ok this makes absolutely no sense. I agree Harlan is going downhill but it has nothing to do with 1 sport athletes. THERE ARE NO KIDS ON HARLANS SIDELINES BETTER THAN WHAT IS ON THE FIELD. One sport, two sport three sport, whatever. Rewarding laziness? It is what it is...kids can be lazy in Harlan because they have no competition. When the best kids are lazy and the kids below them are lazy....well it is what it is. There's the top and that's it....they have very few kids that are big enough,strong enough or mentally ready to jump in unless they are forced to.

The best kid they have coming up is a monster frosh that had shoulder surgery so he was out for the year. He was supposedly brought up to varsity but I never saw him step on the field. As for the lifting and training side of things yes it sucks. It's old school and unless it changes...soon then they will not be able to compete at the state or playoff level. The freshman that I am talking about is 5'10" about 205 pounds and from what I have heard he was the strongest kid in the weight room - this was before he even started his freshman year and his training comes from his father not the schools program. His father played ball at Fresno State and used to be a competitive bodybuilder in California. I saw the kid at state baseball and he is there starting catcher and he is a freaking beast. Now I did hear rumors that he would be transferring but not sure where he is going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT