ADVERTISEMENT

Give me your dark horse state tournament team

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Doesn't matter the class, just a team that one wouldn't expect based on record.

I really, really like St. Albert. That schedule is ridiculous for a 1A program.

It is not much of a dark horse, but I'll take Earlham to get in for class 1A. Most picks I have seen have Colo-Nesco making it in over them. They are team with a lot of length and have 5 guys that can go off for 25, but are better on night's when they are balanced.

Also, I'll take Creston in class 3A in a substate with a some similar quality teams including Harlan, D-S, Carroll etc. They are no stranger to tight games, which is great for this time of year. Get on the back of Jay Wolfe and hold on boys.

Burlington Notre Dame in 2A... They have to get by Regina. Williams and Giantinno (sp) will have to play very well

There are so many dark horses this year, it would make for a rather large herd.

Oh well, what the heck- here goes some wild and not so wild picks, for what it's worth.

4A- I'm picking the best team (at least in the one game I saw lately) that NOBODY ELSE will pick-- CR Washington, and their tremendous but pretty unheralded 6-5 guard- Jared Printy.
3A- Easily the most dangerous team not ranked in most top ten polls- CR Xavier.
2a- Monticello- because they are a good team and I like people from Monticello.
1A- Gehlen, LeMars- They play awfully good basketball in LeMars and area.
This post was edited on 2/18 10:02 PM by EastIowaHawk

Originally posted by Bearsball:
Burlington Notre Dame in 2A... They have to get by Regina. Williams and Giantinno (sp) will have to play very well
I second this one. I think ND has a good shot. They could taste the state tournament last year before Matt Baker of Albia stole it away from them. Those two Nike guys are extremely talented, and most importantly, Danville is in 1A so they don't have to get by the Bears to do it!

I'm picking Highland to be in Solon playing I/C Regina in the sub state game. I thought Highland let BND off the hook after leading comfortably most of the game at Southeastern Community College.

South Obrien in Class 1A. In district 1, I wouldn't just assume that it's a battle between Boyden-Hull and Central Lyon.

Yeah, South Obrien's a good team, but their draw is terrible. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost tonight. They only beat TC by two in their last meeting, and trailed most of the game. They will probably will win tonight, but then they need to beat CL and BH next week too just to make the Substate final. Honestly, their game tonight sets up just like TC's upset over CL last year. No other state contender has a road like South OBriens

Take Notre Dame out they got hosed last night.. ND had its chances to manysstupid turnovers bad passing and just bad bounces of the ball. And don't normally bitch about the refs but those three last night sucked. They might be good enough for Y peewee ball but not high school.

Yes, Keokuk is ranked, but if the matchups play out, they'll be decided underdogs in both the district final game and substate game. To me, that would make them a "dark horse" because while they are ranked, very few people are going to predict it.

Dark horse. Gotta be Xavier. Giant killers of Dowling, Linn Mar, Wahlert. Will roll all the way through state. WSR and Wahlert ONLY team in their way.

Originally posted by thinkpad1:
Dark horse. Gotta be Xavier. Giant killers of Dowling, Linn Mar, Wahlert. Will roll all the way through state. WSR and Wahlert ONLY team in their way.
You answer Xavier for every question. You said in a previous thread they should be the favorites. So how can you be the favorites and a "dark horse team"?

I will just put my opinion as simple as this. WSR, Wahlert, or Xavier. One of these will be the next 3A State Champs.

Originally posted by thinkpad1:

I will just put my opinion as simple as this. WSR, Wahlert, or Xavier. One of these will be the next 3A State Champs.
Ok, well, those were the 3 favorites going into the year. So do you have a dark horse team to throw in there as well?

Do you think perhaps Thinkpad1 does not know what the term "dark horse" means? Case in point, the term "Texas Leaguer" in baseball. I would guess most HS kids that play baseball in this day and age do not know what it means.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT