ADVERTISEMENT

Finals

cidhawkeye

All District
Jun 21, 2009
Since we all wanted to stick to football talk and since that happened there has been soooo much activity :) I wanted to consolidate the only football talk in this thread.
Thoughts on the final?
As much as you want the team that beat your team to win it all I don’t see it happening. I don’t think VM has enough big horses to pull it off. I look for the trophy to end up out west.

I agree. West Lyon wins it.

I watched all four games on Saturday and I think that Van Meter, West Sioux and West Lyon would also win 2A this year. 1A overall is stronger than 2A this year.

Going with Van Meter in the upset. Well disciplined and fundamentally sound. I would like to see West Lyon win, but don't think it will happen. Hope I am wrong

Great matchup for the title game. Both teams are very talented and deep. Both play sound defense. Will come down to who takes care of the football.

BCMoore: West Lyon (11.11) over Van Meter
Cal prep: West Lyon (28), Van Meter (20)

It goes without saying that Computers are never wrong.

Sure I am glad this board has cleared up all the ‘activity’ issues that we were having and all the people who just wanted to talk football have stepped up and chimed in. For some out there that is called sarcasm.

West Lyon 27-Van Meter 21. Van Meter puts the ball on the ground once to often and West Lyon grinds out the clock.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Abrahamson with a surprise return in the Championship game for Van Meter. Pretty cool he could get back on the field for his final game.

I think his knee was down before crossing the goal line! No replay in HS football though. That's huge right before the half....

Hard to tell, from the first look it kind of looks like he does then when they show the endzone view I don't think he does. Regardless there shouldn't have been single coverage on a jump ball in a hailmary situation.

Reactions: WHANCOCK
I don't think he was in...but, doesn't seem like it will matter much in the end. West Lyon is running away with it.

It's a shame that D1 couldn't have been separated to meet in the championship

You had no idea how they really stacked up though. Plenty of people here thought it could go either way.
Brought to you by the Dumb———‘es in Boone. What a joke of a finals. Van Meter’s final ranking should be down about 6th.

Final; West Lyon 50, Van Meter 14.

Congrats to West Lyon, a dominating performance in their biggest game.

Congrats to WL - It's interesting when you look at the talent, and capabilities in the top 5, then the top 10, then the rest of the field. Anybody wanting to make a case for expanded playoffs, is hard pressed with results like this.

Final; West Lyon 50, Van Meter 14.

Congrats to West Lyon, a dominating performance in their biggest game.

I actually think BCMoore's last rankings have the top 5 right, West Lyon, West Sioux, Van Meter, Dike-New Hartford and South Central Calhoun.

DikeNH should have been in the Dome over Regina.

Brought to you by the Dumb———‘es in Boone. What a joke of a finals. Van Meter’s final ranking should be down about 6th.

Why are the guys in Boone dumb? They did what they said they would do? If West Sioux beats Western they are probably close the the #1 RPI. If West Branch beats Regina then its West Sioux/West Lyon in the championship. That's football. I have been critical of the state before, but they they did what they said they were going to do and each team knew what they needed to do to get there.

Why are the guys in Boone dumb? They did what they said they would do? If West Sioux beats Western they are probably close the the #1 RPI. If West Branch beats Regina then its West Sioux/West Lyon in the championship. That's football. I have been critical of the state before, but they they did what they said they were going to do and each team knew what they needed to do to get there.
West Branch has no business in the dome this year. Maybe the team did, talent wise but not as an entirety

West Branch has no business in the dome this year. Maybe the team did, talent wise but not as an entirety
You are right about WB, but he is responding to the idea that WS and WL didn’t play in the finals because the IAHSAA screwed up. If WB beats Regina than WL and WS probably play in the finals. There isn’t much the IAHSAA can do about that.

Reactions: bobbyboy44
You said West Branch didn't deserve to play in the dome. If that is true, neither did Regina, or Van Meter. Both got handled pretty easily. I personally think any team that gets there is deserving. They did not pick their opponents, all won the games they had to win. Are there as good, or better teams that would have competed better, absolutely . However, they all had the same opportunity, and I think the state did a pretty good job of seeding. There will never be a perfect system. There can only be one state champion. Instead of hating on teams or coaches or schools we don't like, give them their due and respect when they win. They played the schedule they were given. Personally I am not a fan of Regina or Van Meter, but they both have great programs, and did what was necessary to get to the Dome. Hating on teams that consistantly make the playoffs makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
You said West Branch didn't deserve to play in the dome. If that is true, neither did Regina, or Van Meter. Both got handled pretty easily. I personally think any team that gets there is deserving. They did not pick their opponents, all won the games they had to win. Are there as good, or better teams that would have competed better, absolutely . However, they all had the same opportunity, and I think the state did a pretty good job of seeding. There will never be a perfect system. There can only be one state champion. Instead of hating on teams or coaches or schools we don't like, give them their due and respect when they win. They played the schedule they were given. Personally I am not a fan of Regina or Van Meter, but they both have great programs, and did what was necessary to get to the Dome. Hating on teams that consistantly make the playoffs makes no sense to me.

I don’t think pointing out that they lost a game and didn’t deserve to be in the dome this year is considered ‘hating’

I get why people dislike Regina, right or wrong, but why are you not a fan of VM?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT