ADVERTISEMENT

FED rule change questionaire

Herdcyclones

Varsity
Jul 29, 2006
Got an email today from the Association, as an official, to a link to the Fed asking how rule changes went this year. As they do each year, they ask about potential rule changes for the next year. Had 8 of them, here they are, with my opinion.

Instant replay in the regular season---Hard no

Allowing a passer to save yards by throwing beyond the neutral zone if outside the free blocking zone. I think this would match the rule in higher levels of football--- definite yes

Allowing numbers, logos, etc on mouth guards--I don't really care, so yes

Allow spikes from shotgun--yes

Giving automatic 1st down to offense for defensive pass interference.--No 3rd and 26 and get an auto first down for a penalty 12 yards downfield? Hard No.

Auto 1st down for defensive personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct---a weak yes

Ability to shorten halftime, by agreement of both coaches, if a weather delay was within 3 minutes of halftime.---yes

Eliminate free blocking zone in shotgun--yes

I wish they would clarify a hurdle penalty. We had too many instances this year where it was a complete judgment call. One time it wasn't called and the next time it was. I think it is very tough for officials to call. If the defender is standing up- hurdle. If the defender is attacking low, no hurdle.

The throwing ball away out of "pocket " for high school QB is a no brainer , every other level you can , but High School kids are suppose to take a hit

How about IR in semifinals & finals?

Offensive holding 10 yards from previous LOS?

The current pass interference penalty is bad. Pass interference in the endzone is not a first down. So for instance if it is 4th and goal from the 6 and a defender is beat he can interfere and the worst that happens is it is 4th and goal from the 3. I know for a fact that teams coach their defenders to play that way to take advantage of a bad rule, as they should.

I would like to at least see a change where if a first down can not be gained then pass interference will give the offense a first down or if the interference occurs past the first down marker then it is a 10 or 15 yard penalty from the previous spot and a first down. This would eliminate the reason for a defender to interfere because he is beat.

If pass interference occurs in the end zone with line of scrimmage inside the 20 then it should be half the distance to the goal and first down every time.

Reactions: dtk913
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT