ADVERTISEMENT

Early Class A First Round Matchups

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Obviously there are two weeks of games to go that can change the seedings but here is what I have

1vs4
North Union at HMS
South O'Brien at Woodbury Central
Hudson at West Hancock
Belle Plaine at Grundy Center
Westwood at AHSTW
Earlhan at Lynnville Sullly
Wapello at North Linn
Bellevue at Alburnett

2vs3
Tri Center at Gehlen
Hinton at Newman
Saint Ansgar at Wapsie Valley
Lisbon at East Buc
Maquoketa Valley at Columbus Community
Nashua Plainfield at Madrid
Ogden at Mount Ayr
Southwest Valley at Lo-Ma

Last edited:
I think your close, some big games the next 2 weeks and the last week Alburnett is at Columbus junction for the district championship. I think it is district 3 or 5 where Hudson, Nashua and AGWSR all play each other for that 3rd and 4 th spot. The 4 team pods will be interesting but I can see NL, Wapsie, Columbus and EB in the eastern pod and Grundy, Lynville, Alburnette and Newman in the other to match up. One thing is for sure West Hancock and Grundy will be split up until semi finals. Would be some very interesting 1 st round games.

If there is a tie for 4th in D3 I believe Hudson gets in on points, BCLUW plays Wapsie so that is probably a loss for them. If Hudson beats Nashua Plainfield they would get the 3 and NP would get the 4th.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
If there is a tie for 4th in D3 I believe Hudson gets in on points, BCLUW plays Wapsie so that is probably a loss for them. If Hudson beats Nashua Plainfield they would get the 3 and NP would get the 4th.
If Nashuia wins and BCLUW loses to wapsie witch is expected nashua would be the 3 seed and you would have a three way tie for 4th with Hudson, BCLUW and AGWSR at 2-4. Since each beat each other it would come down to points because you can use head to head in a 3 way. Now if Hudson beats nashua then basically they are the 3 and NP the 4.

Correct and if it is a 3 way tie for points I believe Hudson gets in. Hudson's worst point differential would be -25, right now BCLUW is at -24 so they would have to lose to Wapsie 1 to tie Hudson, then I believe they would have the tie breaker since they won head to head, AGWSR is eliminated.

BCLUW in the general discussion is a huge win for that program. I’d agree, would take an upset for them to get that 4th spot, it kudos to that 1st yr coach for getting them back to being respectable!

That district championship game with Alburnette and Columbus and the game with Hudson and Nashua for 3rd will play big in first round pairings.

Here is an update, although not much has changed.

The BC Moore rankings seem updated for some of my information, but I did see he had Newman losing to West Fork, instead of the other way around.

District 1
HMS is the champ, Gehlen is #2, Hinton and South O'Brien winner is #3, loser is #4. South O'Brien is a favorite according to BC Moore.

District 2
West Hancock is the champ, if North Union beat Newman then that could create a 3 way tie in which I think Saint Ansgar would be the #2, but I think you will see Newman at #2, STA #3, and North Union #4

District 3
Grundy Center is the Champ, Wapsie is #2, Nashua Plainfield vs Hudson is for #3, more then likely both of those teams are in no matter what (NP is), however if BCLUW pulled the upset on Wapsie they could get in.

District 4
North Linn, East Buc, Maquoketa Valley are all in, if Maquoketa Valley beat North Linn it would cause a 3 way tie. I believe Bellevue is in as the #4 no matter what also. I expect North Linn to win (BC Moore predicts this) and win the title with East Buc at #2 and Maq Valley #3

District 5
Columbus vs Alburnett (this is the proper way to spell it) for the title. BC Moore has Alburnett as a slight favorite. Lisbon is #3 and Wapello is #4.

District 6
This district is all wrapped up 1. Lynnville Sully 2. Madrid 3. Ogden 4. Belle Plaine

District 7
AHSTW is the champ, Mt. Ayr vs. Southwest Valley for the #2 (Mt Ayr is the favorite) and Earlham should be the #4, however there is a 3 way tie possibility .

District 8
Woodbury Central is the champ, Lo-Ma is #2, Tri Center vs. Westwood for #3, Tri Center is a favorite.

Here is what I have for matchups

HMS vs. North Union
West Hancock vs Hudson (or NP)
Grundy Center vs. Belle Plaine
North Linn (or East Buc) vs. Wapello
Alburnett/Columbus vs. Bellevue
Lynville Sully vs. Earlham
AHSTW vs. Westwood (or Tri Center)
Woodbury Central vs. Hinton or South OB

Gehlen vs. Tri Center or Westwood
Newman vs. NP (or Hudson)
Wapsie vs. St Ansgar
Eac Buc (or North Linn) vs. Lisbon
Alburnett/ Columbus vs. Maq Valley
Madrid vs. SW Valley
Mt Ayr vs. Ogden
LoMa vs. South OB or Hinton

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Here is an update, although not much has changed.

The BC Moore rankings seem updated for some of my information, but I did see he had Newman losing to West Fork, instead of the other way around.

District 1
HMS is the champ, Gehlen is #2, Hinton and South O'Brien winner is #3, loser is #4. South O'Brien is a favorite according to BC Moore.

District 2
West Hancock is the champ, if North Union beat Newman then that could create a 3 way tie in which I think Saint Ansgar would be the #2, but I think you will see Newman at #2, STA #3, and North Union #4

District 3
Grundy Center is the Champ, Wapsie is #2, Nashua Plainfield vs Hudson is for #3, more then likely both of those teams are in no matter what (NP is), however if BCLUW pulled the upset on Wapsie they could get in.

District 4
North Linn, East Buc, Maquoketa Valley are all in, if Maquoketa Valley beat North Linn it would cause a 3 way tie. I believe Bellevue is in as the #4 no matter what also. I expect North Linn to win (BC Moore predicts this) and win the title with East Buc at #2 and Maq Valley #3

District 5
Columbus vs Alburnett (this is the proper way to spell it) for the title. BC Moore has Alburnett as a slight favorite. Lisbon is #3 and Wapello is #4.

District 6
This district is all wrapped up 1. Lynnville Sully 2. Madrid 3. Ogden 4. Belle Plaine

District 7
AHSTW is the champ, Mt. Ayr vs. Southwest Valley for the #2 (Mt Ayr is the favorite) and Earlham should be the #4, however there is a 3 way tie possibility .

District 8
Woodbury Central is the champ, Lo-Ma is #2, Tri Center vs. Westwood for #3, Tri Center is a favorite.

Here is what I have for matchups

HMS vs. North Union
West Hancock vs Hudson (or NP)
Grundy Center vs. Belle Plaine
North Linn (or East Buc) vs. Wapello
Alburnett/Columbus vs. Bellevue
Lynville Sully vs. Earlham
AHSTW vs. Westwood (or Tri Center)
Woodbury Central vs. Hinton or South OB

Gehlen vs. Tri Center or Westwood
Newman vs. NP (or Hudson)
Wapsie vs. St Ansgar
Eac Buc (or North Linn) vs. Lisbon
Alburnett/ Columbus vs. Maq Valley
Madrid vs. SW Valley
Mt Ayr vs. Ogden
LoMa vs. South OB or Hinton
Im just curios as to how the state will work the 4 team pods. Obviously they will keep West Hancock and Grundy separate but what other teams will they separate. Witch #1s will be paired together in the four team pods.

So if seeds would hold true, Lynville, columbus in same pod and North Linn and Grundy, thats assuming they are all 1 seeds. AHSTW, Woodburry together ans WH and HMS together? I think you are going to see some 2 seeds in place of some of these 1s, pods will be interesting.

If all 1s and 2s won (I bet you see at least one or two 3s win) I think you would see things paired up like this

HMS vs Newman
West Hancock vs Gehlen

Grundy vs East Buc
North Linn vs Columbus

Lynnville Sully vs Mt Ayr
Alburnett vs Wapsie

AHSTW vs LoMa
Woodbury Central vs Madrid

There are essentially 3 far western districts, which makes things weird geographically.

I know the state does use some common sense and to an extent use bc moore and some of their own rankings when doing pods. that pod you have with Grundy would be the only pod with 4 ranked teams. I think you could flip both Alb and wapsie to Grundy and NL as I think Columbus beats Alb then have EB vs them at Columbus. But I also see a 3 seed spoiling the party depending on the matchups and I think that's ST Ansger as they are going to be a very tough 1st round out. And if PNATION is right in his first round pairings that would be a St Ansger wapsie matchup.

It will be interesting to see who travels for quarters. According to the IAHSAA post season manual the way they determine host sites for quarters this year is by 4 set of criteria. 1. Better overall record host. 2. Better district record host. 3. Head to head result. And 4. If the 1st 3 criteria does not determine a host it comes down to alphabetically which school is LAST. So teams like Woodbury and West Hancock would host from that criteria if it's a match up of unbeatens in their pods in the quarters. Unless those two get paired together then West Hancock could be traveling to Woodbury for quarters. Ultimately Woodbury if stays unbeaten (plays missouri valley this week so it's likely) and wins the first two rounds will be hosting a quarter final round. They are the 1st last school alphabetically in A that will be in the playoffs.

PNation with the on point predictions. hahaha What 2nds beat the 3rds.
I think Husdon will run with Newman
SW Valley might beat Madrid
Hinton over LOMA

All others the higher seed wins. All 1st move on.

I think Hudson gives Newman a game as well, I think that district was very tough, and honestly Hudson may be the favorite against a few of the 2s but I do think Max Burt is enough for Newman. Heck in NP wasn't playing West Hancock they might be able to give a few of the 1s a game.

I know I am contradicting what I just said but Saint Ansgar will probably battle Wapsie just because they are well coached, but Wapsie will probably pull away late.

Southwest Valley has played the tougher schedule compared to Madrid. I actually like LoMa over Hinton, but I see why it could be a good game.

I'll go with this for second round

AHSTW vs. LoMa
Woodbury Central vs. Gehlen

Grundy Center vs. Mount Ayr
North Linn vs. Columbus

Lynnville Sully vs Southwest Valley
Alburnett vs Wapsie Valley

West Hancock vs. East Buc
HMS vs. Newman

There is travel with this especially Mount Ayr to Grundy Center, but I think this is the way you get the top 4 teams to the dome, to me North Linn and Alburnett need to be separated as they don't seem like top 4 teams.

I see
Columbus Junction playing Alburnett
L-S playing Mout Ayr
NOrth Linn vs Hudson
Grundy vs East Buc
Wapsie vs Britt
HMS vs Gehlen
AHSTW vs SW Valley
Woodbury vs Loma or Hinton

I know some of these may be rematches but in the round of 16 things get tight

I think Hudson gives Newman a game as well, I think that district was very tough, and honestly Hudson may be the favorite against a few of the 2s but I do think Max Burt is enough for Newman. Heck in NP wasn't playing West Hancock they might be able to give a few of the 1s a game.

I know I am contradicting what I just said but Saint Ansgar will probably battle Wapsie just because they are well coached, but Wapsie will probably pull away late.

Southwest Valley has played the tougher schedule compared to Madrid. I actually like LoMa over Hinton, but I see why it could be a good game.

I'll go with this for second round

AHSTW vs. LoMa
Woodbury Central vs. Gehlen

Grundy Center vs. Mount Ayr
North Linn vs. Columbus

Lynnville Sully vs Southwest Valley
Alburnett vs Wapsie Valley

West Hancock vs. East Buc
HMS vs. Newman

There is travel with this especially Mount Ayr to Grundy Center, but I think this is the way you get the top 4 teams to the dome, to me North Linn and Alburnett need to be separated as they don't seem like top 4 teams.
Who are you considering your top 4 teams and overall #1? I would assume West Hancock and if so you wouldn’t match them with East Buc who bcmoore has on top 7 overall including better than 2 number 1s. I think you see a lot of rematches in round 2, I think you see Wapsie if they win go to WH and if Newman wins goes to Grundy. East Buc to Either NL or Alb in a rematch either way and Columbus to the other. I think Lynville is the weakest #1 as their district is not as strong as others

My true top 4 are

West Hancock
Grundy Center

Those two either one or 2

HMS

Then either ASHTW or Woodbury Central

I put Wapsie Valley with Lynnville Sully because I think that they are better then L-S.

Couple games that really stand out to me in the first round is the Saint Ansger vs Wapsie Valley, a lot of tradition here and playoff appearances and state championships between them. Wapsie lost to Grundy and 1A Denver and SA lost to WH and Newman in double OT and also to 1A Osage week 1. This game could go either way but just have this feeling SA wins with its power run game and keeps the ball out of the hands of waspsies offense by eating up clock. Wapsie can score quick thou but stopping the run concerns me in this game as i Think it was a few weeks ago South Winn ran for quite a few yards on them and SA is a much better team. Imgoing SA 28 - 24. The second game is the Hudson vs Newman game as Hudson 4-4 really only has 1 bad loss but they also played Grundy, North Linn and Wapsie so facing Newman wont be shocking to them. The Burt kid is a stud for Newman throwing the ball but their defense is a little suspect. I think Newman wins with the home field advantage. A few other good matchups, Lisbon at East Buc and that SW valley vs Madris game.

I see
Columbus Junction playing Alburnett
L-S playing Mout Ayr
NOrth Linn vs Hudson
Grundy vs East Buc
Wapsie vs Britt
HMS vs Gehlen
AHSTW vs SW Valley
Woodbury vs Loma or Hinton

I know some of these may be rematches but in the round of 16 things get tight
If Wapsie and HMS would meet it would be a 4 hour trip. This would be absolutely ridiculous.

Here's my guess.

Pod 1:
(3) Hinton @ (1) West Hancock
(2) Gehlen @ (1) HMS

Pod 2:
(2) Newman Catholic @ (1) Grundy Center
(2) Wapsie Valley @ (1) North Linn

Pod 3:
(2) East Buc @ (1) Alburnett
(2) Columbus Community @ (1) Lynville Sully

Pod 4:
(3) Southwest Valley @ (1) Woodbury Central
(2) Mount Ayr @ (1) AHSTW

Last edited:
Here's my guess.

Pod 1:
Hinton @ West Hancock
Gehlen @ HMS

Pod 2:
Newman Catholic @ Grundy Center
Wapsie Valley @ North Linn

Pod 3:
East Buc @ Alburnett
Columbus Community @ Lynville Sully

Pod 4:
Southwest Valley @ Woodbury Central
Mount Ayr @ AHSTW
I’d flip Wapsie and east buc. Then I got the same. If bcmoore really plays a factor at all that’s why I’d flip them two.

I’d flip Wapsie and east buc. Then I got the same. If bcmoore really plays a factor at all that’s why I’d flip them two.
Here's my guess.

Pod 1:
(3) Hinton @ (1) West Hancock
(2) Gehlen @ (1) HMS

Pod 2:
(2) Newman Catholic @ (1) Grundy Center
(2) Wapsie Valley @ (1) North Linn

Pod 3:
(2) East Buc @ (1) Alburnett
(2) Columbus Community @ (1) Lynville Sully

Pod 4:
(3) Southwest Valley @ (1) Woodbury Central
(2) Mount Ayr @ (1) AHSTW
Actually I see East Buc to Lynville Columbus to NL Wapsie to Alb and Newman to Grundy

Just what has been going around. Obviously not any truth to it that they do
Weakest Pod in south west with Lynville whitch the state must like. Toughest Pod is Grundy pod as not making it easy on them with 4 ranked teams. The state didn’t seem to give much love to North Linn and Wapsie putting them with West Hancock as your basically say NL was their lowest 1 seed and Wapsie lowest 2. Plus the way it’s set up both Grundy and WH would host all the way thru because of alphabet. Will be some interesting games that’s for sure. Columbus junction all the way to Grundy has to be a haul.

Weakest Pod in south west with Lynville whitch the state must like. Toughest Pod is Grundy pod as not making it easy on them with 4 ranked teams. The state didn’t seem to give much love to North Linn and Wapsie putting them with West Hancock as your basically say NL was their lowest 1 seed and Wapsie lowest 2. Plus the way it’s set up both Grundy and WH would host all the way thru because of alphabet. Will be some interesting games that’s for sure. Columbus junction all the way to Grundy has to be a haul.
If West Hancock wins against Wapsie, which is no gimme, they would host the quarterfinals due to them having the best record of those teams left in their pods. Alphabet doesn't come into play unless teams have same record is the way I read it.

If West Hancock wins against Wapsie, which is no gimme, they would host the quarterfinals due to them having the best record of those teams left in their pods. Alphabet doesn't come into play unless teams have same record is the way I read it.
No, overall record isn’t a factor. It’s district record which north linn and Britt both r undefeated. So it would be alphabet if it was those two left in that pod but it won’t be those two left :)

No, overall record isn’t a factor. It’s district record which north linn and Britt both r undefeated. So it would be alphabet if it was those two left in that pod but it won’t be those two left :)
I stand corrected. If not those 2, who do you think is going to be the 2 left out of that pod?

I stand corrected. If not those 2, who do you think is going to be the 2 left out of that pod?
Go Panthers has been a Wapsie supporter for years so I’m guessing he thinks Wapsie will beat WH but I’m also guessing as much as he didn’t want Wapsie in with Grundy in his previous playoff pairing picks he never would have guessed they would get shipped to WH. West Hancock rolls at home. The other game with ML and Newman is interesting as Newman does score a ton of points but also can’t stop anyone and NL gives up very few points according to varsity bound. This thing is all set up for a WH Grundy final

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT