ADVERTISEMENT

Dub. Senior- Iowa City West

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Congrats to Dubuque Senior for their thrilling win over Iowa City West. Eight hours after the game was played, I finally went and looked for the score because I was so busy with work. It was 39- 36, Senior. Then I read a post here in which somebody said a shot clock was needed to keep games like this from happening. What? I went through the second-by-second printout of the box score by quarters (on the IHSAA site) and there was no stalling whatsoever, unless you call an occasional 30- 40 second possession a stall. What happened (on both sides) was tremendous defense. Both top scorers for their teams, Patrick McCaffery for West and Noah Carter for Senior were held to about half their usual point totals, and both shot poorly (because of defense and the stress of the game). It's too bad one of these teams had to lose. Iowa City West has been a juggernaut for a decade, but half their losses in the past five years have been to Dubuque teams. Senior has won three times and Wahlert twice. I say this to attest to the excellent basketball in Dubuque. None of these teams stall. Senior played a somewhat controlled offense because they were out-heighted by West by about three inches per man and West has two Div. 1 caliber players in the front court. Ram coach Eimers plays in order for his teams to win- which is tremendous defense. If you want offense, I remember the Iowa City West vs. Wahlert game in Dubuque three years ago in which Iowa City West, with Connor and Patrick McCaffery, shot 70% for the game, and lost because Wahlert (with Pemsl, Till, etc.) shot 74% for the game. I can't remember the score, but it was high. Anyway, congratulations to Dubuque Senior and Coach Wendell Eimers. Now on to #1 seed Waukee, which will be a very tough game.

Reactions: mylameusername
West tried to stall with a 1 point lead and about 1:10 to go, but lost the ball on a steal which led to the go ahead lay up.
Perhaps it was great defense, but it's not a great look when Iowa's best big schools can't reach 40 points on the biggest stage.

West tried to stall with a 1 point lead and about 1:10 to go, but lost the ball on a steal which led to the go ahead lay up.
Perhaps it was great defense, but it's not a great look when Iowa's best big schools can't reach 40 points on the biggest stage.

That was a tremendous play by the Dbq Sr reserve. Was rooting for West, but really impressed with SR. Made the plays when it counted.
Also impressed with the SR fans/cheering as well. Great fan base.

I was impressed with the defensive play by both teams. West scored 18 points in the first quarter and things looked bleak for Senior. Then Senior held West to just 18 points the rest of the game. Great steal by Daquon Lewis and a 2 point basket and two gusty free throws by Cooper Medinger as they scored the last 4 points of the game.

Congrats to Dubuque Senior for their thrilling win over Iowa City West. Eight hours after the game was played, I finally went and looked for the score because I was so busy with work. It was 39- 36, Senior. Then I read a post here in which somebody said a shot clock was needed to keep games like this from happening. What? I went through the second-by-second printout of the box score by quarters (on the IHSAA site) and there was no stalling whatsoever, unless you call an occasional 30- 40 second possession a stall. What happened (on both sides) was tremendous defense. Both top scorers for their teams, Patrick McCaffery for West and Noah Carter for Senior were held to about half their usual point totals, and both shot poorly (because of defense and the stress of the game). It's too bad one of these teams had to lose. Iowa City West has been a juggernaut for a decade, but half their losses in the past five years have been to Dubuque teams. Senior has won three times and Wahlert twice. I say this to attest to the excellent basketball in Dubuque. None of these teams stall. Senior played a somewhat controlled offense because they were out-heighted by West by about three inches per man and West has two Div. 1 caliber players in the front court. Ram coach Eimers plays in order for his teams to win- which is tremendous defense. If you want offense, I remember the Iowa City West vs. Wahlert game in Dubuque three years ago in which Iowa City West, with Connor and Patrick McCaffery, shot 70% for the game, and lost because Wahlert (with Pemsl, Till, etc.) shot 74% for the game. I can't remember the score, but it was high. Anyway, congratulations to Dubuque Senior and Coach Wendell Eimers. Now on to #1 seed Waukee, which will be a very tough game.

Which game was that? I saw a 76-68 game. The shooting %’s didn’t match up though

Finally saw the Senior- ICW game on the IHSSN replay and it was a pretty grueling and ugly game, but Senior has now beat two teams in a row that had the #1 (D.J. Carton) and #2 (Patrick McCaffery ) players in the state, although I was very disappointed that McCaffery didn't at least try to bang inside a bit more. He's going to have to hit the weights and get a lot more aggressive before he plays at Iowa next year. Of course, I could say the exact same thing about Xavier Foster, whose team eeked out a 2 point win over Marion.

This was a great game for those that appreciate the coaching chess match. Two teams that know each other very, very well. You cannot assume a high scoring game in a first round classic like Senior-West as both coaches are of high quality and know how to slow great players. Obviously both teams struggled on the offensive end and this was due to coaches that stress defense and had a week to prepare. Semi-final and finals are often better (scoring) games as teams just have to play and there is little to no prep. As for Senior-West, I've seen both teams this season and feel Senior will be tough to beat. They were fortunate to get past this game with that late steal but that's why you have to play a full 32 min. They do face an uphill battle having to play on consecutive days vs quality 4-A teams...should be interesting. Senior-Waukee will be another classic. As for West, great season. They had multiple opportunities to blow this game wide open as they missed several great looks, shots they made all season. Those shot fall and the game isn't close. Early foul trouble and a couple missed lay-ups helped senior keep it tight early with Carter on the bench due to foul issues himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT