ADVERTISEMENT

Districts

Congratulations, Cody! 5 years ago I got second in my district at Atlantic. Guess that means you did better than I did.

The Fairfield course was the worst course I have seen in 5 years. Weaving in and out of narrow paths and 90+ degree turn 150 meters into the race which caused a boy to fall in the pack. The course was also 200~ meters long on the boys side and 250 meters long for the girls. L-M should be ashamed of choosing that course. The only bright side was that one of the runners I was cheering for was outside the top 10 at the correct finish line and made a pass to get to state in the final 150-200 meters.

West Delaware/Manchester was an above average difficulty course with strong winds. No PR's but fair, solid course. Decorah dominated on both boys and girls sides. Decorah's 3/4 runner was essentially out with a hammy but Decorah beat Wahlert by 12 even without him. Haldeman and Huff from Waverly easily controlled their races. After top two teams there were no strong teams on boys or girls side. The race was well run with results/awards being very quickly after conclusion.

Good luck to all runners this weekend. Enjoy your time in FD. St. Edmond should be the favorite in 1A- hometown and all helps too :) Be nice to hold both titles in track and cross country.

Originally posted by hawk44ever:
Good luck to all runners this weekend. Enjoy your time in FD. St. Edmond should be the favorite in 1A- hometown and all helps too :) Be nice to hold both titles in track and cross country.

really? #1 rated team, largest school in 1a, home course and hometown. if you don't win it what will the excuses be? too much sleep in your own beds?

I don't know I think West Lyon should be #1 after SE only beat #5 Dike-New Hartford by 11 points.

I don't pretend to know everything about cross country but to me it looks like its St. Ed's to lose. Wrong?

I wouldn't say it is theirs to lose. They should be considered a favorite, but not overwhelming by any means. They probably have the best 1-2 punch in 1a, but it takes 5 guys as we all know. and all it takes is 1-2 guys running a little bit off of what they do and 1-2 guys from another contender stepping it up a little bit. Should be a good meet.

Class 1A Boys CC

Here is my top 10 for Class 1A Boys

CBSA
BCLUW
Ft Dodge SE
Riverside
West Lyon
Trinity Christian
Wapello
Dike New Hartford

Re: Class 1A Boys CC

If I had to bet:
St. Eds first
BCLUW second
I agree with Hawk- senior runners, at home.

West Lyon
St. Edmond
CBSA
BLCUW
Dike New-Hartford
I like that way West Lyon has been running lately and, even though they don't have any outstanding runners, they run in more of a pack than SE. However, if SE gets 3-5 under 18 I think it will be a very close finish.
This post was edited on 10/25 4:15 PM by Jako18

I didnt even know they had this board but here is my guess

Hurtz to say it but St Eds wins. I didnt know they were 1a until i read it plus its at home. Is St Eds 1a in other sports? I thought they were 2a.

I believe it was awfully close to being 2a, always is a big advantage to be one of the larger schools in a class thats for sure. Im interested to see if Kolocia (sp) will be up to his tricks of cutting runners off as he's been known to do, if he can avoid putting so much effort into tactics such as that he could have a shot for individual state title. Seems wide open with Wanders being the favorite right now.

Was the cheap shot really necessary? Nope, didn't think so.

agreed- I never call out guys on these boards. Too easy to be cheap. I do agree that is is a big advantage to be the biggest school in your class. SE is usually about the smallest or lower middle of 2A classes. Don't know what happened here- fewer schools with cross country teams?

Here's my list for the Class 1A top 5....which also happens to be fairly close to the Iowa Coaches rankings.

Moser - Wapello
Kolacia - FD St Ed's
Wanders - North Mahaska
Storjohann - BCLUW
Van Ginkel - Trinity Christian

The wild card to win is Storjohann of BCLUW. He ran above his projected finish last year and finished 4th with Moser not far behind. Storjohann also won the tough NICL conference meet and based on who he beat there....makes me think he is better than how he ran at the Districts meet.....if he's healthy.

Saw Kolacia and Storjohann three times this year and run. Was at the Knoxville district and saw the race between Storjohann and Wanders. Wanders was impressive on an extremely difficult course. Of the three I've seen run, I would go Wanders, Kolacia, Storjohann. Someone else can place Moser in that mix as I have not seen him run this year.

No cheap shot was intended, hes obviously very talented and has put the work in but hes been known for such behaviors in the past and to be honest he doesnt need to do such things because he could challenge with out them in track and xc. Race could really come down to 4 kids and who out kicks who the final 200 yards after the turn.

I think Kolacia has one of the best 800 meters but if somebody should stay with him the last 200 may be the most exciting part of the race. Right now I think it is up for grap with him and Wanders being the top 2 contenders with Moser close behind

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT