ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorses?

Football211

Freshman
Feb 27, 2016
One of the most open seasons I can remember in recent history with no true dominant #1 team in any class. Any darkhorses to make it to state or even win it all?

No dominant team over a bunch of weak or so-so teams. There are probably more pretty strong teams than most any year I can remember; that's why the top of the classes are so balanced. My idea of a dark horse is a non-rated or "forgotten" team that comes out of nowhere and makes state or even wins it. Sure, it could happen. I think in 4A there are no darkhorses. One of the top teams will win it. 3A is so even at the top that a dozen or more teams could make state or even win it, although I think Norwalk will eventually prevail if Born stays on course, whatever their record is. If Norwalk falters, I think one of four teams from 3A substate 4 could surprise. Mt. Vernon is very, very good and weren't ranked early in the year. Could they be a "darkhorse" even if they are #1? 2A is the same with terrific balance. I wouldn't be surprised if Cascade or Beckman of Dyersville make it to state, although Pella Christian is my pick for a darkhorse. In 1A, it could be anybody. For a darkhorse, I'd pick WACO because so many posters think they play a weak schedule. Saw a feature on their basketball team on TV, and they are a determined bunch, I have to say..

Last edited:
Hmm intresting question. In 4A I would go with Dowling. They have the most talented front court duo in the state along with other nice key role players that compliment them well. Need to be more consistent though if they want a shot. In 3A I’m going to say Ballard. They beat the breaks off a really good Carroll team twice this year and have a great shot of making state. Also matchup nightmare for #1 ranked Norwalk because of size. In 2A my dark horse is Cherokee. They use to be one of the best teams back when they were younger. Would destroy my nephews high school team and my new phew is on one of the top 3 1A schools in the state now. They randomly will just play extremely well and kill great team. The opposite is true as well. Maybe they can string together 4 games? And finally in 1A my dark horse is Remsen St Marys. People on here talk about Easton Valley, SOB, Bishop Garrigan, and Lake Mills. Everyone forgets about this squad. I don’t understand why they are not ranked higher then SOB. SOB in there 4 toughest conference games is -29 with only one win. RSM won the conference! Remsen St Mary’s is a better shooting team then them and plays better defense. I think this team right now is going to either get third, runner up, or win it all

Reactions: Anonymous500
Hmm intresting question. In 4A I would go with Dowling. They have the most talented front court duo in the state along with other nice key role players that compliment them well. Need to be more consistent though if they want a shot. In 3A I’m going to say Ballard. They beat the breaks off a really good Carroll team twice this year and have a great shot of making state. Also matchup nightmare for #1 ranked Norwalk because of size. In 2A my dark horse is Cherokee. They use to be one of the best teams back when they were younger. Would destroy my nephews high school team and my new phew is on one of the top 3 1A schools in the state now. They randomly will just play extremely well and kill great team. The opposite is true as well. Maybe they can string together 4 games? And finally in 1A my dark horse is Remsen St Marys. People on here talk about Easton Valley, SOB, Bishop Garrigan, and Lake Mills. Everyone forgets about this squad. I don’t understand why they are not ranked higher then SOB. SOB in there 4 toughest conference games is -29 with only one win. RSM won the conference! Remsen St Mary’s is a better shooting team then them and plays better defense. I think this team right now is going to either get third, runner up, or win it all
Agreed that they are the better 1A team then South O’ Brien. I wouldn’t really say they are a dark horse though then maybe on these forms because people on here seem to think South O’ Brien are better then the Lakers lol

Agreed that they are the better 1A team then South O’ Brien. I wouldn’t really say they are a dark horse though then maybe on these forms because people on here seem to think South O’ Brien are better then the Lakers lol
If Remsen and SOB had to play in the playoffs I would take Remsen for sure. They have, in my opinion, the better stand out players.
I said GLR wouldn’t come within 20 points of SOB because of the way they match up. You think that means I’m saying they are better than the Lakers. At some point you either got confused or upset by that so I hope this clears it up.

If Remsen and SOB had to play in the playoffs I would take Remsen for sure. They have, in my opinion, the better stand out players.
I said GLR wouldn’t come within 20 points of SOB because of the way they match up. You think that means I’m saying they are better than the Lakers. At some point you either got confused or upset by that so I hope this clears it up.
RSMs is just better overall. They can all shoot, defend, and handle the ball at a high level

It’s a joke I’m essentially saying that you think south O brien is way better then they actually are lol.

It’s a joke I’m essentially saying that you think south O brien is way better then they actually are lol.
There is a very big chance SOB doesn’t even make the state tournament. I think they are a good team with the possibility to beat some top contenders. They aren’t a stand out special team but they just seem to know how to pull out some tough wins

What makes SOB look so good on paper is their zone D. Are they good? Yes, absolutely. Are they top 5, probably not. But like NWIowaSioux said they can beat about anyone and in my opinion. Really all you have to do to beat them is break the zone and or shoot well. They match up well with most teams in NWIA. They will definitely give BG a run but I'd definitely take BG. But I think SOB would beat N-F unless they shoot well.

What makes SOB look so good on paper is their zone D. Are they good? Yes, absolutely. Are they top 5, probably not. But like NWIowaSioux said they can beat about anyone and in my opinion. Really all you have to do to beat them is break the zone and or shoot well. They match up well with most teams in NWIA. They will definitely give BG a run but I'd definitely take BG. But I think SOB would beat N-F unless they shoot well.
Completely agree never said SOB is bad. Cuz they aren’t. I’m just saying I think some people are acting like they are way better then they actually are don’t get me wrong they are a tough out for anybody.

Reactions: RJV2324
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT