ADVERTISEMENT

CR Jefferson

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
This is not meant to be a slam post or anything like that, but what exactly is going on there? They used to be a very proud program, but now it appears they are struggling to even have a program. I also think across the board the entire athletic program is down.

The entire program is down. Rumor is they are entertaining discussions with Marshalltown to leave the MVC and join the new conference with Waterloo East/Ottumwa/DMPS schools. Which would have nothing to do with their football schedule, of course, but indicates worries about the rest of their athletics.

For football, there’s several issues - one class (I don’t know if it’s this year’s seniors or juniors) has always been hollowed out by guys just not going out for football; there were a significant number of players from last year who transferred (their 2020 starting QB is now starting for Kennedy, where at least a couple of Jeff players transferred, and I think others may have moved to Prairie); all the CR schools have dropped in enrollment (the derecho didn’t help); and it’s just really, really tough to revive a struggling program.

They did have a decent number of freshmen turn out this year, but that’s not helping when you’re trying to field a 5A MVC roster. They’re only dressing 21 or so varsity kids - I’d be shocked if they’re able to finish their season this year.

For football, there’s several issues …….there were a significant number of players from last year who transferred (their 2020 starting QB is now starting for Kennedy, where at least a couple of Jeff players transferred, and I think others may have moved to Prairie); all the CR schools have dropped in enrollment (the derecho didn’t help); and it’s just really, really tough to revive a struggling program.
🤔 Well that would explain how this class at CRK improved so much from 2 years ago.

Yeah, that’s not allowed.
But, I do appreciate their effort of trying to play the games short handed.

How is that possible? It’s only allowed for summer sports between 8th-9th.
That was my understanding as well. I've heard lots of conversations about high performing 8th graders and wanting to play them up and not being able to because of state rules.

Yeah, I saw AJ Derby play against my kid in 7th grade. All us parents kept wondering who that large man was out there dragging our sons down the field as he carried the ball. If AJ Derby didn't get called up to the varsity in 8th grade, nobody could (and yes, I realize he didn't play varsity as a freshman, either, because I watched him play QB for the IC West sophomores against my son that season).

I give Jefferson credit for getting back on the field last night. Hope they just keep working hard, and helping the younger kids get experience.

uh yeah 100%, know kids on the team.
Then they are doing it against state rules. The only time that can happen is in baseball/softball since technically they have graduated from 8th grade. They cannot even play in the high school game until they have graduated.

Maybe they don't care? Or couldn't field a team otherwise so are willing to risk it. I don't know... but it is happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT