ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A - Week 7

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
Districts are really taking shape now with just a couple of weeks left in the regular season. Here’s a look at some solid games in week 7:

Regina at West Branch
MFL MarMac at Cascade
Denver at Dike-New Hartford
Durant at Mediapolis
Sumner-Fredericksburg at Beckman
Kuemper at Treynor
Woodward-Granger at SSC

*Anyone want to take a try at predicting each district top 4?

EASTERN SIDE

1A-3

1 Dike
2 AP
3 Denver
4 South Hardin

1A-4

1 MFL
2 Columbus
3 Cascade
4 Sumner-Fred

1A-5

1 WB
2 Mepo
3 Regina
4 Durant

1A-6

1 SK
2 Central Decatur
3 PC
4 Pleasantville

3 Regina @ 2 Central Decatur
4 South Hardin @ 1 MFL
3 Cascade @ 2 Mepo
4 Pleasantville @ 1 West Branch
3 Denver @ 2 Columbus
4 Durant @ 1 SK
3 PC @ 2 AP
4 Sumner @ 1 Dike

EASTERN SIDE

1A-3

1 Dike
2 AP
3 Denver
4 South Hardin

1A-4

1 MFL
2 Columbus
3 Cascade
4 Sumner-Fred

1A-5

1 WB
2 Mepo
3 Regina
4 Durant

1A-6

1 SK
2 Central Decatur
3 PC
4 Pleasantville

4 South Hardin @ 1 MFL
3 Cascade @ 2 Mepo
3 Denver @ 2 Columbus
4 Durant @ 1 SK
3 PC @ 2 AP
4 Sumner @ 1 Dike
Are the pods of 4 after the first round set up geographically?

More then likely I35 will finish 3rd in district 7, you would have to think they would get sent you Central Decatur or Pella Christian for the 2/3 game.

Regina being sent to Waterloo Columbus or AP makes a lot of sense.

If WB can end their longstanding 'Regina curse' this week it would say alot about their team.

If WB can end their longstanding 'Regina curse' this week it would say alot about their team.

...that to finally beat them, they had to bring in a 4A QB for one year? Yes, that would say a lot about this team.

Transferring only happens in SE Iowa. At a few select schools. Otherwise there'd be far more complaints about it on here elsewhere, no? :)
I just don’t want this turning into another Regina/WB takeover post. They can create a post specifically for that if they choose.

Reactions: gdkid2010
I'm not taking the bait, Brother. Let's stick to football. That horse is beyond dead.

Typed out a well thought out post about ‘when the shoe is on the other foot’ but as blame said people beat the hell out of that horse so it is what is……

Reactions: Pinehawk
I'm not taking the bait, Brother. Let's stick to football. That horse is beyond dead.
Yup, let the kids play the game, what has happened year after year, really has no impact on what can happen this year - that's HS FB. If WB prevails it will be because their kids out-performed Regina's. If Regina wins it's because they found a way. I'm all for leaving it on the field. The whole rivalry thing is really counterproductive. It comes down and will always come down to this year's team against this year's team. My perfect situation is for this to be a great battle - hope it comes down to this.

The really interesting thing is the 1A-5 playoff impacts - conceive of a situation where Regina beats WB and Durant beats Mepo. If Regina would then go ahead and beat Durant, that would set up WB and Regina as the 1-2 (I guess the head-to-head would make Regina the 1) and Mepo who beat Regina would drop to a 4.

Not at all saying that's what's going to happen, I'm not pre-supposing ANY outcome, I really feel like anything could happen, it's just really interesting.

Ask me what I predict? I predict WB beat Regina, Mepo beats Durant and Regina beats Durant. That would make the district 1) WB 2) Mepo 3) Regina 4) Durant - Either way these 4 are a lock on the playoff spots (unless you think Wilton will beat WB week 8....)

EASTERN SIDE

1A-3

1 Dike
2 AP
3 Denver
4 South Hardin

1A-4

1 MFL
2 Columbus
3 Cascade
4 Sumner-Fred

1A-5

1 WB
2 Mepo
3 Regina
4 Durant

1A-6

1 SK
2 Central Decatur
3 PC
4 Pleasantville

4 South Hardin @ 1 MFL
3 Cascade @ 2 Mepo
3 Denver @ 2 Columbus
4 Durant @ 1 SK
3 PC @ 2 AP
4 Sumner @ 1 Dike
Interesting that this would set up a re-match of Durant / S-K. I don't think any other of the matchups are rematches unless you ended up with Regina/Mepo as a re-match

Yup, let the kids play the game, what has happened year after year, really has no impact on what can happen this year - that's HS FB. If WB prevails it will be because their kids out-performed Regina's. If Regina wins it's because they found a way. I'm all for leaving it on the field. The whole rivalry thing is really counterproductive. It comes down and will always come down to this year's team against this year's team. My perfect situation is for this to be a great battle - hope it comes down to this.

The really interesting thing is the 1A-5 playoff impacts - conceive of a situation where Regina beats WB and Durant beats Mepo. If Regina would then go ahead and beat Durant, that would set up WB and Regina as the 1-2 (I guess the head-to-head would make Regina the 1) and Mepo who beat Regina would drop to a 4.

Not at all saying that's what's going to happen, I'm not pre-supposing ANY outcome, I really feel like anything could happen, it's just really interesting.

Ask me what I predict? I predict WB beat Regina, Mepo beats Durant and Regina beats Durant. That would make the district 1) WB 2) Mepo 3) Regina 4) Durant - Either way these 4 are a lock on the playoff spots (unless you think Wilton will beat WB week 8....)

I don’t see WB losing and Wilton was a little underwhelming the little I saw of them. WB is strong across the board. Someone from out west will need to bring a bunch to beat them

Reactions: rc1963
I don’t see WB losing and Wilton was a little underwhelming the little I saw of them. WB is strong across the board. Someone from out west will need to bring a bunch to beat them
Underwood and West Sioux both have a solid offense that could match them. Would be fun to see them against either of those two teams.

underwood had scrimage with #1`4a ranked lewis central , first game of year for both teams, lewis central won 35-20....underwood played them tough.....underwood actually outgained lewis central, 507 vs 427 yd...lewis central stopped underwood twice on 4th down playes in the red zone...underwood is very good team, and will beat a lot of teams this year

west branch if very good team also, i look for underwood and west branch in the dome

Last edited:
west branch if very good team also, i look for underwood and west branch in the dome
There is still alot of hay left to put in the barn.
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Reactions: ISUfan00
Heard WB scrimmaged with Chicago Bears in August. No score was kept but WB drove the ball at will. Defense picked off Fields twice……like BlameIT said “still a lot of Hay left to put in the Barn”

Reactions: gdkid2010
Heard WB scrimmaged with Chicago Bears in August. No score was kept but WB drove the ball at will. Defense picked off Fields twice……like BlameIT said “still a lot of Hay left to put in the Barn”

It was a game. Ultimately had to be counted as a scrimmage because Hoover ended up having a team.

The big question for Regina is, how healthy are they going into this week then next?

The big question for Regina is, how healthy are they going into this week then next?
Certainly is an issue, but it is what it is, it's 1A football, you lose a strong contributor or two and it has a massive impact on what you do. I don't dwell too much on it. It can't be an excuse and can't dwell on what the situation is going into a game - anything can happen first play of the game, right? You play with what you have.

Certainly is an issue, but it is what it is, it's 1A football, you lose a strong contributor or two and it has a massive impact on what you do. I don't dwell too much on it. It can't be an excuse and can't dwell on what the situation is going into a game - anything can happen first play of the game, right? You play with what you have.
As a team no it can’t be an excuse or be dwelled upon. However, as fans we can certainly talk about injuries and the impact they have on the game each week.

I can take a swing at Central/Western Iowa for Class 1A Districts:

District 1
1. West Sioux
2. Western Christian
3. Emmetsburg
4. Ridge View

District 2
1. South Hamilton
2. South Central Calhoun
3. Woodward-Granger
4. Eagle Grove

District 6
1. Sigourney-Keota
2. Pella Christian
3. Central Decatur
4. Pleasantville

District 7
1. Van Meter
2. ACGC
3. Interstate 35
4. West Central Valley

District 8
1. Underwood
2. Carroll Kuemper
3. Treynor
4. MVAOCOU

1st Round matchups

1 South Hamilton vs. 4 Ridge View
2 South Central Calhoun vs. 3 Interstate 35
1 West Sioux vs. 4 MVAOCOU
2 Western Christian vs. 3 Treynor
1 Sigourney-Keota vs. 4 Iowa City Regina (yes, I think WB and Durant beat them)
2 Pella Christian vs. 3 Durant
1 Van Meter vs. 4 Eagle Grove
2 ACGC vs. 3 Woodward-Granger
1. Underwood vs. 4 West Central Valley
2 Carroll Kuemper vs. 3 Emmetsburg

Did my best to avoid rematches (SCC vs. Emmetsburg for example), but still ended up with one (ACGC/WG)

The state has said they will avoid district rematches in the first round with the games no longer on school nights. There are a bunch of "east teams" that are within reasonable distance to "west teams" that it wouldn't have to happen. For instance WG could easily go to AP or Waterloo Columbus.

The state has said they will avoid district rematches in the first round with the games no longer on school nights. There are a bunch of "east teams" that are within reasonable distance to "west teams" that it wouldn't have to happen. For instance WG could easily go to AP or Waterloo Columbus.
There will most likely be a west team traveling East or the other way around for that reason. That’s a good point. It doesn’t have to be all East teams playing each other in the first round.

As a team no it can’t be an excuse or be dwelled upon. However, as fans we can certainly talk about injuries and the impact they have on the game each week.
Sure you can, I prefer not to. Too much speculation and dangerous ground when we're talking about individual kid's health. I prefer to stay out of that one (I've jumped in before and been wrong, It's just not a good discussion for me.

Sure you can, I prefer not to. Too much speculation and dangerous ground when we're talking about individual kid's health. I prefer to stay out of that one (I've jumped in before and been wrong, It's just not a good discussion for me.
Well you don’t have to name specific athletes and injuries, but it’s part of the discussion. You’ll never see me comment specifically on someone, but it’s worth noting that if a team was missing key player(s) and another team hasn’t that it could be a different game than what many expect. And I’m not talking about games that have already been played.

HUGE week for seeding and pecking order. In Eastern Iowa, there a few games I'm keeping an eye on:

Sumner-Fred @ Beckman
- if Beckman loses, they are more than likely out of the postseason.

Durant @ Mediapolis
- the winner has an inside track on a top half seed.

Regina @ West Branch
- if the Bears win, they are the D5 Champ. Regina needs to win to have a shot at being the district championship or #2 seed. If they lose they'll be fighting for 3/4 next week.

Central Decatur @ SK
- with a win, SK locks up the D6 title. If CL wins, they will play Pella Christian next week for a chance at D6 #1 seed.

After tonight alot of the playoff teams will be set. Gonna be fun to keep an eye on the games.

@WBBearsFollower those are definitely biggies. I'll be in Dyersville tonight. My cousin is a OL for Sumner-Fredericksburg. They're really keyed up for this one. Doesn't matter if Beckman is down 8 guys or not. They're tough at home on the turf.

Also, Go Bears! 🐻

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
HUGE week for seeding and pecking order. In Eastern Iowa, there a few games I'm keeping an eye on:

Sumner-Fred @ Beckman
- if Beckman loses, they are more than likely out of the postseason.

Durant @ Mediapolis
- the winner has an inside track on a top half seed.

Regina @ West Branch
- if the Bears win, they are the D5 Champ. Regina needs to win to have a shot at being the district championship or #2 seed. If they lose they'll be fighting for 3/4 next week.

Central Decatur @ SK
- with a win, SK locks up the D6 title. If CL wins, they will play Pella Christian next week for a chance at D6 #1 seed.

After tonight alot of the playoff teams will be set. Gonna be fun to keep an eye on the games.
Some really good games tonight. Wish I could be in multiple places at once or at least streaming all of them. It’s Homecoming in Mepo so they’ll definitely be fired up and hopefully the crowd shows up similar or better than when we played IC Regina this year. Mepo could land anywhere from 2nd-4th in the district. Be nice to have at least one home playoff game.

Some really good games tonight. Wish I could be in multiple places at once or at least streaming all of them. It’s Homecoming in Mepo so they’ll definitely be fired up and hopefully the crowd shows up similar or better than when we played IC Regina this year. Mepo could land anywhere from 2nd-4th in the district. Be nice to have at least one home playoff game.
I truly think Mepo is the better team. DeLong and Isley are must-see kind of players. Egan will be the key in this game, along with Lipper (I hear he's playing).

Mepo wins 28-20. I am going to try and keep an eye on it during timeouts in WB.

I truly think Mepo is the better team. DeLong and Isley are must-see kind of players. Egan will be the key in this game, along with Lipper (I hear he's playing).

Mepo wins 28-20. I am going to try and keep an eye on it during timeouts in WB.
I’d say the key is tackling DeLong and discipline; minimize penalties and turnovers.

Yes, Lipper is playing, how much I don’t know. He only played offense last week. If I had to guess he’d be full go, but I have no insider knowledge despite having a kid on the team. I’m sure Durant prepared like he is playing.

Mathematically, Mepo could still win a #1, It would take, Mepo winning out, Regina beating WB and losing to Durant and WB losing to Wilton, I believe. Not that I'm making those predictions, just saying it's still possible.

Sorry, just having some fun with possibilities

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT