ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A - Week 5

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
Week 5 is coming up and we’re getting into more great district matchups. Here’s some headline games:

Mediapolis at West Branch (game of the week in 1A)

Cascade at Waterloo Columbus (can Cascade continue their solid play against a hard-nosed Sailor team?)

West Sioux at Western Christian (for the district title)

MFL MarMac at Sumner-Fredericksburg (pair of 3-1 teams)

Any other games? Thoughts on the games above? Mepo your thoughts coming into this week and the game at WB?

Maybe West Sioux at WC is the co-game of the week with Mepo/WB

Week 5 is coming up and we’re getting into more great district matchups. Here’s some headline games:

Cascade at Waterloo Columbus (can Cascade continue their solid play against a hard-nosed Sailor team?)

Any other games? Thoughts on the games above? Mepo your thoughts coming into this week and the game at WB?

Mepo & WB is going to be a battle. Obviously WB is better than last year and I believe Mepo is as well, but who has improved more. WB is more balanced this year. I think it comes down to can Mepo stop and big passing plays and maybe hit 1 or 2 of their own. Big factors (same as all close games) will be penalties, turnovers and field position (special teams).

Mepo & WB is going to be a battle. Obviously WB is better than last year and I believe Mepo is as well, but who has improved more. WB is more balanced this year. I think it comes down to can Mepo stop and big passing plays and maybe hit 1 or 2 of their own. Big factors (same as all close games) will be penalties, turnovers and field position (special teams).
Mepo has to get the Bears guessing on misdirection. Isley will have to wear out WB for 200 yards. Isley is very good. Arguably the best athlete in 1A.

Is #15 Lipper gonna be healthy enough to play? Will the weather play a factor? Will the lack of game reps in 3 of 4 games be a negative for WB? The Bears have struggled against the pass. Do the Dogs have enough time/speed to take advantage of it?

Mediapolis: slow it down and play physical. Be above your pads. Limit turnovers as WB is turning pennies to dollars so far (7 def TD).

WB: have to limit the big play and continue to be multi-faceted on O.

Predictions?

Reactions: EIHCGuy
Mepo has to get the Bears guessing on misdirection. Isley will have to wear out WB for 200 yards. Isley is very good. Arguably the best athlete in 1A.

Is #15 Lipper gonna be healthy enough to play? Will the weather play a factor? Will the lack of game reps in 3 of 4 games be a negative for WB? The Bears have struggled against the pass. Do the Dogs have enough time/speed to take advantage of it?

Mediapolis: slow it down and play physical. Be above your pads. Limit turnovers as WB is turning pennies to dollars so far (7 def TD).

WB: have to limit the big play and continue to be multi-faceted on O.

Predictions?
BC has West Branch ahead by just under 6. Cool weather and a chance of rain Friday could just up strategy a bit. WB is up for the challenge and protects home field with some big plays in the second half. They get it done, 21-17.

Watching the Regina game on YouTube, the Bulldogs are very dependant upon RB6 Isley. I agree with GoEagles in that he has to have a big night for Mepo to be there in the end. Their interior line on defense is strong. WB QB1 Hughes is a pretty solid passer from the highlights I've seen. Henson is gonna be really fresh as well. Gonna be a fun battle in trenches.

Final score: WB 28, Mepo 14.

michael jackson mj GIF

• Haha
Reactions: EIHCGuy
Other big game in 1A D5 is Wilton @ Iowa City Regina. Who rebounds with a win and who gets out behind the eight ball with a second district loss?

Other big game in 1A D5 is Wilton @ Iowa City Regina. Who rebounds with a win and who gets out behind the eight ball with a second district loss?
There is a pretty good chance that whoever loses that game is out of the playoffs. A good team won't make the playoffs and in 3 or 4 Districts there is only 1 or 2 good teams.

-WB wins handily. Too much offense.
-Cascade wins a close one.
-West Sioux conquers their demon
-MFL by 3+ scores. Boring, effect FB

-WB wins handily. Too much offense.
-Cascade wins a close one.
Cascade score was a bit of a shocker. WB definitely one handily. It was ridiculously dominant. I was surprised.

If there are 1 or 2 teams in 1A better than WB right now, I'd be shocked. They just held Mepo RB to about 20 yards. Mepo only TD came on final drive of game. I left with WB up 35-7 and 2:00 remaining. The Bear defense is outstanding.

Mediapolis P/K is ridiculously good. He spanked his first punt. After that he had a couple of 60 yard punts and a 50. All touchbacks when kicking. One of them he actually put through the uprights. @MepoDawg# you can definitely be proud. Well deserved and earned

Cascade score was a bit of a shocker. WB definitely one handily. It was ridiculously dominant. I was surprised.

If there are 1 or 2 teams in 1A better than WB right now, I'd be shocked. They just held Mepo RB to about 20 yards. Mepo only TD came on final drive of game. I left with WB up 35-7 and 2:00 remaining. The Bear defense is outstanding.

Mediapolis P/K is ridiculously good. He spanked his first punt. After that he had a couple of 60 yard punts and a 50. All touchbacks when kicking. One of them he actually put through the uprights. @MepoDawg# you can definitely be proud. Well deserved and earned
Mepo RB had 17 rush attempts for 7 yards I believe is the final stat line. WB offense left points on the board also by not closing out 1-2 drives deep in Mepo territory. Could have easily been 49-13

Thanks. He said it appeared to him WB was coming after the first punt so he just put his head down and got it off as quickly as he could. Of course he shanks it into the wind. After that he just relaxed and kicked. He ended up with a 51.7 yard average even with that punt. He punts best swinging about 70%.

Hopefully Mepo will get back to full strength soon and get some time in before the playoffs with everyone playing. WB impressed last night particularly in the trenches (where Mepo struggles) and on defense. Good team. Was also impressed with how both teams were helping each other up after plays particularly Isley and Henson.

Definitely wasn’t making an excuse, don’t think it would have mattered. Just said I’d like to see them get healthy before the playoffs. WB looks like the real deal. Good luck.
^^^THIS is how you post. Thanks, MepoDawg. Get healthy. D5 representation will be strong in late October.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT