ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A Substate Assignments

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
Class 1A Substate Assignments

https://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2021-Soccer-Assignments-1A-5.6.21.pdf

SUBSTATE #1
East Sac County
Kuemper Catholic, Carroll
MOC-Floyd Valley
Sioux Center
Unity Christian, Orange City
West Sioux, Hawarden
Western Christian, Hull

SUBSTATE #3
Anamosa
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville
Cascade, Western Dubuque
Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg
Marquette Catholic, Bellevue
Monticello
North Fayette Valley
Postville

SUBSTATE #5
Central Lee, Donnellson
Columbus/WMU
Danville/New London
Hillcrest Academy
Mediapolis
Notre Dame/West Burlington
Wapello

SUBSTATE #7
Atlantic
Des Moines Christian
Grand View Christian School
Greene County
Panorama, Panora
PCM, Monroe
Van Meter
WCV-NV

SUBSTATE #2
Belmond-Klemme
Clear Lake
Columbus Catholic, Waterloo
Denver
Garner-Hayfield-Ventura GCGR,
Gladbrook-Reinbeck
Hampton-Dumont-CAL
New Hampton

SUBSTATE #4
Cedar Valley Christian
Prince of Peace, Clinton
Regina, Iowa City
Solon
Tipton
West Branch
Williamsburg

SUBSTATE #6
Albia
Centerville
Chariton
Clarke, Osceola
Highland, Riverside
Mid-Prairie, Wellman
Pella Christian
West Liberty

SUBSTATE #8
AHSTW, Avoca
Logan-Magnolia
Missouri Valley
Riverside, Oakland
St. Albert, Council Bluffs
Treynor
Tri-Center, Neola
Underwood

thanks @MepoDawg#

I wasn't even aware those were releasing!

I looked to see if they have a date for seedings and didn't see anything. I assume it will be the 14th or 17th, in support of first round matches 5/20

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the 7 vs 8 brackets. If you're a 1 seed, would you rather have the powder-puff first round match to warm up (and risk the 8 v 1 upset) or would you rather be in the 7 bracket and get a first round bye and save fresher legs?

thanks @MepoDawg#

I looked to see if they have a date for seedings and didn't see anything. I assume it will be the 14th or 17th, in support of first round matches 5/20

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the 7 vs 8 brackets. If you're a 1 seed, would you rather have the powder-puff first round match to warm up (and risk the 8 v 1 upset) or would you rather be in the 7 bracket and get a first round bye and save fresher legs?
Great question. I'd lean towards the fresher legs, unless you can get away with barely playing your starters before the game is put away. Plus there's ALWAYS the injury risk in an extra game.

thanks @MepoDawg#

I think pairings will be released next week. I’m assuming Thursday to give a weeks notice. It did say on the manual it would be the week of May 10th.

Reactions: rc1963
I’d say fresh legs, especially if conferences have conference tournament like us. Our Substate group is our conference less Highland, so we’ll be playing the same teams again a week later. For us I think it’ll be Wapello, that would be 4 times we’ll play them, Solon tournament, regular season, conference tournament and Substate.

Reactions: rc1963
Substate 1
1Western Christian (8-1)
8Bye
Wester Christian
West SiouxWestern Christian
4West Sioux (3-6)
5Unity Christian (2-8)Western Christian
3Kuemper (6-6)MOC
6Sioux Center (6-7)
Kuemper
MOC
7East Sac (0-11)
2MOC (7-6)
Substate 3
1Beckman
8Bye
Beckman
4Cascade (5-3 28th)Clayton Ridge (3-4 40th)
5Marquette Cath (4-8 41st)Beckman
CascadeBeckman
3North Fayette Valley (7-2 15th)
6Monticello (0-6 60th)Postville
North Fayette Valley
7Anamosa (1-9 53rd)Postville
2Postville (10-2 22nd)
Substate 5
1WNB
8Bye
WND
4Danville (2-1 8th?)WNB
5CentralLee (3-5 34th)
Danville
3Columbus Comm (6-4 28thWNB
6Hillcrest (2-3 38th)
Columbus Comm
7Wapello (1-8 45th)Mepo
2Mepo (9-3 12th)
Mepo
Substate 7
1Greene County (8-3 17th)
8Atlantic (1-11 59th)
Greene County
4WCV ( 6-4 36th)Greene County
5PCM (2-8 51st)
WCV
3VanMeter (7-6 36th)Greene County
6Grandview Christian (1-9 55th)
Van Meter
7Panorama (2-9 58th)DSM Christian
2DSM Christian (7-4 18th)
DSM Christian
Substate 2
1Columbus Catholic
8Hampton Dumont (??)
Columbus Catholic
4Clear Lake (4-6 30th)Columbus Catholic
5Gladbrook Reinbeck (3-6 27th)
Clear Lake
3Garner-Hayfiled GCGR (7-5 24th)Columbus Catholic
6New Hampton (2-6 47th)
Garner - Hayfield
7Belmond-Klemme (2-7 48th)Denver
2Denver (8-3 11th)
Denver
Substate 4
1Regina
8Bye
Regina
4Williamsburg (6-6 26th)Regina
5Prince of Peace (4-5 31st)
Williamsburg
3West Branch (7-1 9th)Regina
6Tipton (3-6 44th)
West Branch
7Cedar Valley Christian (0-10 56th)Solon
2Solon (10-3 6th)
Solon
Substate 6
1West Liberty
8Highland, Riverside (0-7 54th)
West Liberty
4Clarke, Osceola (4-3 32nd)
5Centerville (3-6 42nd)West Liberty
Clarke
3AlbiaWest Liberty
6Pella Christian (2-8 43rd)
Albia
7Chariton (2-10 50th)Mid Prairie
2Mid Prairie (7-2 14th)
Mid Prairie
Substate 8
1St Albert (7-5 7th)
8Tri-Center (3-8 52nd)
St Albert
4Underwood (7-5 33rd)St Albert
5AHSTW (4-4 46th)
Underwood
3Riverside, Oakland (9-1 13th)Treynor
6Mo Valley (4-7 49th)
Riverside
7LoMa (4-9 57th)Treynor
2Treynor (8-3 10th)
Treynor

Sorry for the ugly format - apparently pasting out of excel doesn't work very gracefully.

I'm really only picking one "upset" (based on paper rankings) I think Treynor is going to take St Albert. Just feels like it to me.

Of course, this is all subject to what happens over the next week or so. There could be some seedings change based on that. West Liberty meets Mid Prairie next week, so my view of Substate 6 might change. Any changes you forsee? Any matches you're looking for, upsets to pick?

One of two things needs to happen with conferences - enough schools need to build their programs to the point that conference play becomes quality for more than about the top 2 teams or conference play needs to be abandoned and you play the schedule you can set up that best achieves your team goals

Reactions: GitRDone_51
I did the points for the teams I'm projecting to state

Beckman has the number 1 seed right now, if they lose out and WND (current number 2) wins out, they'd be 1 seed ties.

Regina is the 3 seed, If they lose and Treynor and or WL win out, they could be the 4 or 5 seed. Treynor is the current 7, could become a 5 with winning out. WL is the 5 could be 4 winning out.

Greene County is the 4 - could be a 7 is everyone else wins out.

Columbus is 7 and could be the 8

Quite a few variables yet, and then, of course, everyone still has to win their substates. Lots of assumptions, so I'm not carving anything in stone.

Awesome. Love home games. Hillcrest jumped to #4 in our Substate from being #6 in our conference tournament. An additional week of games changed it. Shifted Danville to 6 and Central Lee to 5. Those 3 have all beaten each other, but Danville’s lack of games got them.

So, you have to buy tickets online. It's not really clear to me if the ticket is per game or per session.

There are two matches at Solon tonight, If I buy one does it get me in for both? It may be more of an academic question. As much as I'd like to see some soccer tonight. I don't know I want to witness either of these blood baths

There doesn't seem to be too many games that look competitive tonight. Hope the weather holds out.

Nice win for Mepo, some momentum going.

Wonder what happened with West Branch? That 3-2 win over Tipton was a lot closer than the 10-0 win a week ago.

ND scored 40 seconds into the game. Mepo ties it up with 13:30 left first half from the sideline about 30 yards out.

Last edited:
Mepo starting keeper gets yellow in the box. My son comes in for penalty shot from playing midfielder. He pushes it to the post as he dives left. Then saves the rebound diving back right. He hasn’t played keeper in 2.5 years. Good to see him back in between the posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
ND scores with 2:30 left. Offsides clearly not called. Goalkeepers switched back with 4:00 left. 2-1 at half ND.

Last edited:
Tough out for the season. I hope they take some pride in being a substate finalist. Being one of the last 16 is something important.
They are, already talking about next year. Only 1 of 6 losses was a to a team not in Substate finals. Good luck to those moving on.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT