ADVERTISEMENT

CIML

Jun 3, 2020
Was out with a few co workers last night and the topic of CIML football and this transfer fiasco came up. They were from 4 different schools, so got a good perspective. Mine are all done with school so I sat back and enjoyed the discussion/bickering

Here is what I took from it:

Valley: runs the table, easily, and the new QB is just icing on cake. D1 players at QB, RB, TE, WR, and DE. Very speedy D. One said that he does not think any team will be within 17 points of them all ear and the Dowling game will be over at half. Bold!

SEP: No one knows what to think of the 3 kids with the P5 offers, said the safety was real deal but not sure about the rest of them and the OL has never seen a Friday night and may have a lot of pressure on him. Their defense is rebuilt due to graduation. Sounds like there may be some discussion of their transfers situations

DC: thinks they have a down year. They lost a lot from graduation and did not bring in any of their usual difference making transfers. New OL, QB, and RB. WR and TE are good. DL may be very good. Lost key tacklers on D. The streak ends if the season is completed. But it is Dowling, so coaching may prevail.

Ankeny: Offensive skill players may be the best in the state, with QB, WR, and new transfer, who might be the best one on team. OL/DL will be issue as young and undersized. Defense lost best DB this week as he quit for some reason

Waukee: Strength are DBs. Smith is a play maker, will play both sides, a lot, fastest kid in state. Sounds like new QB is transfer from 3A school, not sure which one. RB is a big bruising guy that gets tough yards. DL might be good. Very tough schedule

Centennial: Down year. Hit really hard by graduation. Brutal schedule. RB/LB is good, but may have to go both ways to be a difference maker, hard to go both ways in 4A football. They do not have the speedy RB to take it to the house like past several years.

Urbandale: very good defense, lead by 2 D1 guys and an FCS guy. Not sure what offense will be like, lost some key contributors including QB and all state RB.

Roosevelt: they are building something there and may be a couple years away from being in the conversation every year. Great young coach that put together a good staff. Have some play makers on D and a good RB, depth will be an issue against suburban schools.

Last edited:
I can confirm I heard the same thing about the SE Polk transfers from out of state, and am also hearing whispers about the Ankeny transfer...I can confirm the Centennial story as RB/LB is my son and he is playing both ways as one of the RBs and the MLB, and probably punting. He has some really good d2 offers, but I'm honestly worried about his d1 prospects from having to play both ways. Unfortunately, Centennial is going to have multiple two way guys I'm told.

I don't mean this as a negative towards Urbandale, since they beat us in the playoffs last year, but we thumped them in the regular season, and I know they have talent but frankly their D1 guys were never really a factor against us, at least on defense.

Ankeny should be good, it will all come down to their line play.

I agree that Valley is loaded and should be the favorite...that being said you never know, our seniors thumped them as freshman, but haven't really played since, and now they have a few new faces to add to the guys that were good as freshman.

Waukee--deep squad, with lots of talent..maybe this is their year....

Roosevelt--Just hoping they get to play..would be a shame for them not to play due to circumstances beyond their control.

Yeah, at this point in the season I think it’s safe to say the winner (and possibly final four) will come from the capital city. Being on the east coast I can confirm there were no ringers crossing the Mississippi (none that were allowed to stay) and it’s going to be a rough go.
Just curious, what were the coworkers honest thoughts on the transfers (hopefully discounting if their school benefits).

Yeah, at this point in the season I think it’s safe to say the winner (and possibly final four) will come from the capital city. Being on the east coast I can confirm there were no ringers crossing the Mississippi (none that were allowed to stay) and it’s going to be a rough go.
Just curious, what were the coworkers honest thoughts on the transfers (hopefully discounting if their school benefits).

They were not in favor, two were even recipients. They thought it was all dirty and all about resources; the Valley kid has the resources to rent an apartment, the speculation of the others is they were here alone. This falls on the school districts, coaches and AD's for not doing their due diligence.

They were not in favor, two were even recipients. They thought it was all dirty and all about resources; the Valley kid has the resources to rent an apartment, the speculation of the others is they were here alone. This falls on the school districts, coaches and AD's for not doing their due diligence.
Amen, nice to hear...makes one wonder about the coach/administration of the districts which are the “winners” of the interlopers. To me, this doesn’t set a good example for the young men under their leadership.

Amen, nice to hear...makes one wonder about the coach/administration of the districts which are the “winners” of the interlopers. To me, this doesn’t set a good example for the young men under their leadership.

Personally, I just feel bad for the kids that lose time to these new guys. I know that some/most will simply say "get better."

There is a kid from Ankeny who has been getting some NAIA and D2 looks and now Bruce will come in and take some of his reps, which just sucks for the kid, considering Bruce is already committed to presumably his school of choice.

Personally, I just feel bad for the kids that lose time to these new guys. I know that some/most will simply say "get better."

There is a kid from Ankeny who has been getting some NAIA and D2 looks and now Bruce will come in and take some of his reps, which just sucks for the kid, considering Bruce is already committed to presumably his school of choice.
another buddy said that word is the Ankeny transfer is better than the Brecht kid, so guessing Brecht loses touches too, however it is moot point for him but see your point about other offensive kids on the team and the other schools

We argued about this issue; I said all their seasons were not cancelled, they were postponed, whether Rubley and Bruce enroll at respective schools in January, is irrelevant, they have a chance to play in their states, it just not work out with their plans

Yeah I got to say, between the enrollment discrepancies and now the transfer debacle, it’s getting to the point where the capital city schools play in one bracket and the others in another.

Everything sounds spot on from what I’ve heard as well with the exception of new Waukee QB. The transfer from DCG only played defense last year as a junior so I wasn’t sure who was taking the snaps this year since he didn’t start over a fellow classmate and a sophomore last year at 3A DCG. Saw pictures online of him working with QBs, however. Deep deep CIML. Dowling coaching can never be counted out but their line and run game is the slimmest I’ve ever seen. May be airing it out more than usual.

Sounds like you are from Ank Cent... where was this concern last year when you guys got 3 kids from Ankeny? I believe it was your guys starting QB, CB, and WR...

Sounds like you are from Ank Cent... where was this concern last year when you guys got 3 kids from Ankeny? I believe it was your guys starting QB, CB, and WR...
When did I say I wasn't concerned last year? I didn't join this site until late in the year, and no one asked me.

Valley is the team to beat... I dont know if I think it will be 'easy' though. I think the theme this year is O lines struggling for alot of teams including Valley. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I see the CISN (Central Iowa Sports Network) is planning on streaming 3 games a week as in the past, however this year is charging $11 per game or $40 for the season if your team is listed.

Seems like an interesting decision now that most games will have serious restrictions on attendance numbers.

Anyone aware of other sources streaming 4a games?

When did I say I wasn't concerned last year? I didn't join this site until late in the year, and no one asked me.

Well through articles I've read and on twitter it seems Ank Cent is taking the 'we are homegrown' response. I just found it ironic that they had 3 transfers that started on last years team. Figured you were touting that same idea.

I see the CISN (Central Iowa Sports Network) is planning on streaming 3 games a week as in the past, however this year is charging $11 per game or $40 for the season if your team is listed.

Seems like an interesting decision now that most games will have serious restrictions on attendance numbers.

Anyone aware of other sources streaming 4a games?

I think Johnston streams all their home game for free.. but I dont know of any other. Its crazy because last year they were all free. Pretty steep to go from free to 11 a game. I used them for a couple baseball games this year and the technology wasn't the best. Alot of buffering and freezing. Its crap if you are paying and it doesn't work right. Hope they got it figured out.

Reactions: oldtimefootball
this is getting out of control, Ankeny's prized recruit must have been deemed ineligible, Ankeny coaches calling out IHSAA on Twitter on game day🤦‍♂️

Meanwhile, SEP's transfers said to be living in hotel are playing against Waukee tonight.

Someone needs to get control of this mess.

this is getting out of control, Ankeny's prized recruit must have been deemed ineligible, Ankeny coaches calling out IHSAA on Twitter on game day🤦‍♂️

Meanwhile, SEP's transfers said to be living in hotel are playing against Waukee tonight.

link to tweets please??

That train left the station weeks ago. Competitive schools were looking for that missing piece or two to get them to the dome...or more, and so this is what you get.

Unlike previous years where there were some East/West matchups to gauge competitiveness (not only week one but future weeks) due to Covid scheduling we possibly won’t see any. While not much can be gleaned by first week performances, I still stand by my previous post the entire final four comes from CIML (Valley, Ankeny, Dowling & SEP). As far as the East, while I don’t expect anyone to make the Dome, top four CF, CRK, PV, CRP/Hemp.

I'll be updating the Ankeny at Fort Dodge game tonight.

There's a light mist that's been going on throughout the day when it's not raining, so that would seem to favor Fort Dodge's more ground-based offense. Footing could also be an issue.

2,000 fans were allowed into the game, and given the weather, that number is probably well below that.

Ankeny maybe has 75 fans on their side.

Ankeny with a methodical 6 minute opening drive capped by a Jase Bauer rushing TD. Passing is definitely gonna be a challenge. Bauer just 1-5 on that drive with 3 drops.

7-0 Ankeny in the 1st

Dodgers with the trickier early as Dayson Clayton fakes the wildcat run on 3rd down and hits a wide open Tyler Schrier for a 70 yd score.

2 pt conversion fails so its still 7-6 Ankeny.

Ankeny, aided by a shorter field from a face mask penalty, marches down quickly and Bauer runs in his 2nd score of the night.

14-6 with 5:39 to go in the 1st, and it's starting to rain.....yay.

Dodgers get their first stop of the game, albeit unconventionally, as Ankeny fakes a FG but the holder overshoots his open receiver.

Dodgers with a number of missed opportunities for turnovers on that drive, which was also kept alive by BAU drive-extending penalties.

Nevertheless, Dodgers have the ball in the waning moments of the 1st Qtr.

Ankeny with another rushing score, this time by Reid Johnson to take a 21-6 lead with 5:18 to go in the 2nd.

Both teams are struggling to catch passes in these soggy conditions.

21-6 at halftime. Difference in the game thus far is the OL play of both teams. Ankeny is creating space for their runners, and Fort Dodge has very little space. Clayton has had to bring 2 or 3 tacklers with him for everything he gets.

Also, unlike the past several years, the Dodgers do not have that solid passing threat at QB to keep good defenses honest.

Their defense has come up with some key stops including a pick in the endzone and another on 4th down late in the 2nd to keep within striking distance, but that's only gonna go so far until they can find ways to create holes for their running game.

The Dodgers finally get on the board in the 2nd half as Schreier hauls in a tough catch in double coverage and runs away from would-be tacklers for the 50+ yard score.

31-12 as the 3rd Qtr comes to an end.

After recovering the onside kick attempt, Ankeny takes advantage of the short field and caps off the scoring drive with a short TD pass to Brody Brecht to make it 38-12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT