ADVERTISEMENT

CIML Central and Valley and Hoover 2009 season

Oct 14, 2007
what are your thoughts on this upcoming season? Whos supposed to be good and who is supposed to be bad

If Huse decides to play High School then Hoover will make another run at state. Other than that Dowling will make another appearance at state.

The CIML Central will once again be one of the toughest conferences in the state. The Central conference has produced the last two state champions in Dowling and Ankeny. Both Urbandale and Johnston will be very good as well. Urbandale qualified for the State Tournament last year and returns a very dangerous player in Noel Medina. Johnston will again have top 10 talent but will have to adjust to a new coach and potentially a new system. When the rankings are released, I'd expect all four of those programs to be ranked in or near the top 10. Dowling and Ankeny will likely be the favorites, but don't count out Urbandale.

Valley will always be strong. Year in a year out, they produce State Tournament teams. I think by their standards, they are probably a little down. With that said, a down year for Valley is a great year for most programs. I'd expect them to win the Iowa conference again but Waukee and Ames may have something to say about that. Valley belongs in the top 5 and she be considered a state championship contender each year.

Hoover surprised a lot of people last year. They are a talented side. They have arguably the top player in the state in Husref Jupic. He has DI talent and has shown the ability to dominate at the HS level. As long as he is wearing a Hoover uniform, they will be able to compete with the state's elite. I think Hoover will be pushed by Roosevelt in the Metro conference.

My Pre-Season Top 10:
1) Dowling
2) IC West
3) Valley
4) Bettendorf
5) Ankeny
6) Cedar Rapids Kennedy
7) Hoover
8) Urbandale
9) Waukee
10) Pleasant Valley

Receiving Votes: Roosevelt, Johnston, Ames, Cedar Rapids Washington

i do agree the central conference are the toughest teams this year and bettendorf and hoover
should be an interesting season cant wait to get started

Any word on who will be coaching Johnston this year? I heard the candidates have been narrowed down to three people. Two of those candidates being in house and the other is an assistant coach from another CIML school. Any truth to this? Is anyone in the know? This is a program that could really take off if under the right leadership.

Why wouldn't Huse play with his HS team?

Hopefully he can work out any conflicts with his HS coach and let him continue with club soccer.

The only thing that would prevent Husref from playing with his HS side is the coach of whatever D1 program he choses. A lot of college coaches do not like Iowa's spring season for fear of injury to a committed player and sometimes ask for the player to sit out. I do not believe this will be the case with Hus, he is very excited for the HS season. Look for Hoover to have an even better attack this year then they did last year. Despite graduating 8 starters and a grueling schedule, they will tough..

I was looking at Hoover's 2009 schedule and it may be amongst the toughest in the state. They should know well before regionals how good they are. They face #5 Ankeny, #6 Urbandale (possibly twice), and #8 Roosevelt at home, and #3 Valley (possibly twice), #2 Dowling, #9 Johnston on the road. Rankings vary according to where you look...

Ya johnston as i know of has two coaching candidates one is the assistant last year Russ Fortune who most of us hope get the job theres a new teacher in the district Mr Mead who was last year head coach at PCM. He might get the assistant job. Ive also heard rumors that the dowling assistant applied for the job to but thats just what i heard and hes not really a favorite by some of the players because how rude he was when we played dowling last year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT