ADVERTISEMENT

CF vs Bettendorf

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
This will be a hard game for both, you can look back to the regular season game and if not for the lightening delay, wonder what the score would have been.

The QBs
Edge- CF, I think Loecher has proven he can win with his arm and feet. He maybe more of a accurate passer only because CF offense is geared to do both. His experience should be a plus and a advantage

The RBS
Edge- Bettendorf. They are a run 1st offense and he is a great back, their QB can run well and is included in this mix.

Harrison Bey-Buie can rush for 250yds. However this does not mean victory. CF let two CR Prairie backs break off several big runs and was always a touchdown or to away from CF.

CF counters with Ostrich, Loecher and you can throw Grossed in their, which they seem to pick up the yards when they need to.

The OL
Edge- Even, although Bettendorf has shown it can control time of possession. I think CF could do the same but is using everything it has on the field.

The WR & TE
Edge- CF has 5 proven ones, plus Ostrich out of the backfield. Like Bettendorf CF uses the Tight End. I have never seen where CF had this many players to throw too.

Defensive Line
Edge- I'm calling this even, even though CF has two starters back from last year and Neiman who rotated in and out.

LBs
Edge- Bettendorf, however if CF limits the passing game then the LBS should be able to focus on their running game.

Secondary
Edge- CF. CF does have experience back at that position. CF will give up yards passing only because of their bend but don't break defense. Bettendorf has to try to control up to 6 WRs where CF have to control up maybe 3 WRs.

Special Teams
Edge- Even

Kicking
Edge- Even.

Coaching
Edge- Even

This is a tough game to call. However as someone posted before CF, I think CF has faced stiffer competition. I'm not sure if Bettendorf has beaten anyone with a winning record except Linn-Mar and did not beat anyone that made the playoffs.

This game very well could be won by who turns the ball over less. If Bettendorf gets down, I don't think its impossible for them to come back, but maybe not likely They have only 9TD passes and 7 Int all season

I will take a guess and say
CF 35 Bettendorf 26

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of that. CF is going to win if they get just enough of a rush game. I think the same goes for Bettendorf in that their QB is going to have to make some plays. Loecher will get his passing yards and I bet that Harrison Bey-Buie has a much better game.

Bett has two d-line starters returning too. Liddle is a big D1 recruit and plugs everything up in the middle, but it seemed as if CF handled him pretty well in September. Likely to be different this time. CF's D-Line is fast. Any dropbacks by Bett will result in a lot of pressure.

I already made my pick in the other thread.

Cedar Falls over Bettendorf. 42-35

Reactions: franky1967
This will be a hard game for both, you can look back to the regular season game and if not for the lightening delay, wonder what the score would have been.

The QBs
Edge- CF, I think Loecher has proven he can win with his arm and feet. He maybe more of a accurate passer only because CF offense is geared to do both. His experience should be a plus and a advantage

The RBS
Edge- Bettendorf. They are a run 1st offense and he is a great back, their QB can run well and is included in this mix.

Harrison Bey-Buie can rush for 250yds. However this does not mean victory. CF let two CR Prairie backs break off several big runs and was always a touchdown or to away from CF.

CF counters with Ostrich, Loecher and you can throw Grossed in their, which they seem to pick up the yards when they need to.

The OL
Edge- Even, although Bettendorf has shown it can control time of possession. I think CF could do the same but is using everything it has on the field.

The WR & TE
Edge- CF has 5 proven ones, plus Ostrich out of the backfield. Like Bettendorf CF uses the Tight End. I have never seen where CF had this many players to throw too.

Defensive Line
Edge- I'm calling this even, even though CF has two starters back from last year and Neiman who rotated in and out.

LBs
Edge- Bettendorf, however if CF limits the passing game then the LBS should be able to focus on their running game.

Secondary
Edge- CF. CF does have experience back at that position. CF will give up yards passing only because of their bend but don't break defense. Bettendorf has to try to control up to 6 WRs where CF have to control up maybe 3 WRs.

Special Teams
Edge- Even

Kicking
Edge- Even.

Coaching
Edge- Even

This is a tough game to call. However as someone posted before CF, I think CF has faced stiffer competition. I'm not sure if Bettendorf has beaten anyone with a winning record except Linn-Mar and did not beat anyone that made the playoffs.

This game very well could be won by who turns the ball over less. If Bettendorf gets down, I don't think its impossible for them to come back, but maybe not likely They have only 9TD passes and 7 Int all season

I will take a guess and say
CF 35 Bettendorf 26

Great breakdown Franky! I like CF too, should be a really fun game and the only one that will not be played out in the elements. The other games should be dry with some wind 10-15, but no rain/snow in the forecast for Des Moines or Cedar Rapids.

Reactions: franky1967
Great breakdown Franky! I like CF too, should be a really fun game and the only one that will not be played out in the elements. The other games should be dry with some wind 10-15, but no rain/snow in the forecast for Des Moines or Cedar Rapids.
That is the other thing in Cedar Falls favor, the passing and the play calling won't affect CF, which
Well Good Luck to Urbandale, very unlikely they will win. I wish coach Anderson a former CF player the best of luck and hope he can coach them in the next round

I agree with a lot of that. CF is going to win if they get just enough of a rush game. I think the same goes for Bettendorf in that their QB is going to have to make some plays. Loecher will get his passing yards and I bet that Harrison Bey-Buie has a much better game.

Bett has two d-line starters returning too. Liddle is a big D1 recruit and plugs everything up in the middle, but it seemed as if CF handled him pretty well in September. Likely to be different this time. CF's D-Line is fast. Any dropbacks by Bett will result in a lot of pressure.

I already made my pick in the other thread.

Cedar Falls over Bettendorf. 42-35

Trying to find kind of a two deep for each team. Just looking at Quick Stats, it appears Bettendorf does not have much depth or they have guys going both ways. They are way more undersized than Cedar Falls

So I'm sure the weather delay may have played a factor in the last meeting, however I'm also wondering if Bettendorf didn't get worn down.

I look at the Kennedy/Bettendorf game and Kennedy only completed 2-3 passes, yet they overcame two deficits running the ball

I've read articles where they refer to CF Defense being leaky and giving up points. I have int argue that they give up yards.

In bigger games I've seen them give up yards wether it was in the year 2000 or now. That's the style defense they have always run.

However this year they are giving teams that really don't rely on the passing game and some teams that were not really good to many opportunities to make a catch and make a big play.

I'm not sure why they haven't tighten up their coverages to at least try to make any team they played one dimensional.

Let's hope the secondary can create problems for Bettendorf

Trying to find kind of a two deep for each team. Just looking at Quick Stats, it appears Bettendorf does not have much depth or they have guys going both ways. They are way more undersized than Cedar Falls

So I'm sure the weather delay may have played a factor in the last meeting, however I'm also wondering if Bettendorf didn't get worn down.

I look at the Kennedy/Bettendorf game and Kennedy only completed 2-3 passes, yet they overcame two deficits running the ball

Bettendorf was on a drive that could have put them up 10, I believe, when the lightning struck. Short offensive drives (and scores) by CF had the D out there for a long time. The hour break didn't help either team, but CF came out much stronger afterward. By the mid 4th, yes, I think Bettendorf was tired.

Kennedy is very, very physical from what I have seen and heard. They racked up huge yards against them.

The Register made the 'leaky' comment.

For anybody interested in watching the game and can't be there in person.

I was afraid of this. CF really did get lucky the first time around with the lightning delay giving them their second wind. No such thing this time. Bett just controlled the ball and clock the same as last time without the weather delay. That being said, Bett HAS been holding on every damn play, and getting away with it 80% of the time. The zebras need to get with it.

I was afraid of this. CF really did get lucky the first time around with the lightning delay giving them their second wind. No such thing this time. Bett just controlled the ball and clock the same as last time without the weather delay. That being said, Bett HAS been holding on every damn play, and getting away with it 80% of the time. The zebras need to get with it.
The holding was unreal. Right in front of the ref in the backfield...anywhere on the field. Crazy. But that isn’t why CF lost. Their D Line was better than our O-Line tonight.

Reactions: CF_93
The holding was unreal. Right in front of the ref in the backfield...anywhere on the field. Crazy. But that isn’t why CF lost. Their D Line was better than our O-Line tonight.

No doubt. I was in no way implying that the zebras stole the win from CF. Bey-Buie’s gonna be a beast at the next level for sure. I really felt that all year long, the CF defense was just too small to go up against the elite teams of the state. They did well against everybody else (apart from Prairie).

And on the bright side, this will be two more weeks the 2-time defending state basketball champions will get to practice together than they had last year, so they got that going for them...lol

Last edited:
I said this last year and earlier in the year after the 1st game. Jack Campbell made up for any mistakes the defense made because of his ability to run to the ball. Complete domination by Bett offense and the only thing that held them back was penalties. Other than that, CF looked very pedestrian as a team and their QB didn’t have the ability to take advantage of a lot of space in the passing game or when he busted out of the pocket to run with any consistency. No big time WRs this year hurt them. We will see what happens when Bett plays a different type of animal in the semis, one that will have way better speed and ability up front.

The first series for CF you have a 3rd and 2 and you don't give the ball to the guy that helped you get this far. This they didn't get the 1st down.

There also comes a point in time in the game where you have to start taking chances on both sides of the ball.

CF did on offense, but not on defense. They really should have tried to jam the WRs b instead of giving up easy pass plays. 5yd catches turn into 10-15yd plays.

CF was just out coached the talent was there

On an unrelated note, when is UNI going to replace the “carpet” turf?

Last time it was replaced it was done through the Gaming and Gambling Association.

Otherwise they have not replaced it hardly over the past 40yrs

Isn't it that Mondo turf now? It's still light years better than that stuff they had in the 80's and 90's!

The first series for CF you have a 3rd and 2 and you don't give the ball to the guy that helped you get this far. This they didn't get the 1st down.

There also comes a point in time in the game where you have to start taking chances on both sides of the ball.

CF did on offense, but not on defense. They really should have tried to jam the WRs b instead of giving up easy pass plays. 5yd catches turn into 10-15yd plays.

CF was just out coached the talent was there

I think the game was lost when Loecher forced that first pass of the game into double coverage on the slant in the 1st quarter. He just wasn't open there. Gotta either check down, or get out of the pocket and run for it on that play. The turnovers were killers. Ostrich's fumble resulted in another 7 points for Bettendorf as well. Good teams will make you pay for turnovers. And a team like Bettendorf is no good time to play fast and loose with the ball.

I said this last year and earlier in the year after the 1st game. Jack Campbell made up for any mistakes the defense made because of his ability to run to the ball. Complete domination by Bett offense and the only thing that held them back was penalties. Other than that, CF looked very pedestrian as a team and their QB didn’t have the ability to take advantage of a lot of space in the passing game or when he busted out of the pocket to run with any consistency. No big time WRs this year hurt them. We will see what happens when Bett plays a different type of animal in the semis, one that will have way better speed and ability up front.

The line got worn down and the LBs are undersized. Bohnenkamp had a great game at DE, but they seldom ran to his side. They rolled the QB his way with double or triple team blocking. Clements had a few plays. They just couldn’t get off the field with giving up short passes like they were. Barnett was getting hit a lot at MLB. I wouldn’t be too down on the defense when they got little rest. Oh well, I’m definitely pulling for Bett against Valley. Hoping Kennedy wins it all.

No doubt. I was in no way implying that the zebras stole the win from CF. Bey-Buie’s gonna be a beast at the next level for sure. I really felt that all year long, the CF defense was just too small to go up against the elite teams of the state. They did well against everybody else (apart from Prairie).

And on the bright side, this will be two more weeks the 2-time defending state basketball champions will get to practice together than they had last year, so they got that going for them...lol

Oh yeah, I know. I was making sure people knew I didn’t blame it on the refs. We’re good..

The line got worn down and the LBs are undersized. Bohnenkamp had a great game at DE, but they seldom ran to his side. They rolled the QB his way with double or triple team blocking. Clements had a few plays. They just couldn’t get off the field with giving up short passes like they were. Barnett was getting hit a lot at MLB. I wouldn’t be too down on the defense when they got little rest. Oh well, I’m definitely pulling for Bett against Valley. Hoping Kennedy wins it all.
The Tigers probably exceeded expectations this year and if they can find a replacement at QB next year they will be just as strong on offense.

They should be set on Defense, with the exception of the DL. However they will have to live with undersized LBs next year.

The Tigers probably exceeded expectations this year and if they can find a replacement at QB next year they will be just as strong on offense.

They should be set on Defense, with the exception of the DL. However they will have to live with undersized LBs next year.

If I were betting, I would bet on Landon Wolf converting from WR to QB. It seems to me like Brad Remmert and company like having taller QB’s that can see the field, as opposed to the late Pat Mitchell, who more often than not, had smaller and more mobile QB’s. They’ve got no shortage of tall, athletic WR’s returning next year as it is. One thing that could help CF next year is a little bigger, more physical RB in the mold of a Bey-Buie, or a Barkley Hill, Taylor Brookins, or Terrance Freeney of the past.

If I were betting, I would bet on Landon Wolf converting from WR to QB. It seems to me like Brad Remmert and company like having taller QB’s that can see the field, as opposed to the late Pat Mitchell, who more often than not, had smaller and more mobile QB’s. They’ve got no shortage of tall, athletic WR’s returning next year as it is. One thing that could help CF next year is a little bigger, more physical RB in the mold of a Bey-Buie, or a Barkley Hill, Taylor Brookins, or Terrance Freeney of the past.
One thing for sure is they should be better than great the next 2-3 yrs. They will have a strong offensive be line and Ostrich will fill that role.

They will plug the holes on Defense and I actually see CF and the team to beat in the East next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT