ADVERTISEMENT

Central Springs Forfeit?

dadthencoach

Freshman
Jan 17, 2009
Did I see correctly that Central Springs is forfeiting tonight at Regionals Duals? If so, does anyone know what's up with that? Can't say I've ever heard of that happening before.

Geez. And I thought this forum got nasty sometimes. I couldn't care less about the duals tournament and never have, and holding the day before traditional State is even dumber than the old plan. The only thing this new plan has done is it has gotten traditional State back to a three-day tournament, as it should be.
No, I have a feeling that Wednesday could be the March of the Junior Varsitys in many cases. And that's pretty pathetic.

Why bother with dual team competition in the first place? If we HAVE to have it, at least run it after individual State is done.

Doc:
I totally agree. I think the Association has been looking for an excuse to do this for years and they are using the "closed for remodeling" sign on the U.S. Cellular sign in Cedar Rapids as an excuse to change. Plus, they get to have four days in Des Moines -- even though the majority of the state isn't going to care one bit about duals. I will be really interested in seeing what attendance is Wednesday, as opposed to past Wednesdays.
Like you, I think if we are going to have the thing, it needs to move back. If it were me, if I were still coaching, we qualified for duals and we had a couple of studs with a chance to win individual titles, but we didn't have a real chance to win duals, I'd probably hold them out. Maybe that sounds bad, but I have to be honest.
My biggest problem with duals have always been this:
1. Kids that get beat out at Sectionals have to hold their weight for three weeks without competition.
2. Kids that get beat out at Sectionals have to practice everyday without competition.
3. The week of State is a logistical nightmare for coaches. Do you bring your whole team to Des Moines then find a place to practice, or do you leave the non-qualifiers (and half your staff) behind to practice at home? I've heard it done both ways.
4. To balance things out and to make it easier on everyone, why not have 3A Sectionals. Four-team Sectionals into four-team Districts. Then 3A could pick their State Duals teams the same time 2A and 1A do.
5. But the biggest thing is: GET THEM BACK AFTER REAL STATE!

1000 years ago we were in dual meet competition. Junior and one of the other starters were somewhat banged up so the coach wisely held them out of the dual meet competition. I was glad he did; NO sense getting hurt worse for the REAL competition.

I like how so many in that thread were critical of Central Springs yet they know NONE of the facts as to why it happened. Message boards are breeding grounds for idiots.

SPOONER: That's exactly what I thought when I read the Central Springs thread on the OTHER message board. I figured here I would get an accurate answer here. And for whatever reason it was, neither the program, the coaches or the kids deserved to raked over the coals the way they did over there.

The way they have screwed up the duals this year, I wish all schools would just forfeit and not have the duals at all. Then maybe the idiots that are money hungry would think for a minute about the wrestlers instead of the bottom line. The schedule is idiotic and God forbid, a kid gets hurt and is unable to compete in the individual tourney.

That is why I would seriously consider holding all of my REAL tournament qualifiers out of the duals tournament. Make it JV State. Maybe that would send a message to Boone that this was a dumb idea.

Just drop the whole Dual Team concept. Wrestling is an individual sport just like track. The team concept is fine, but why risk injury prior to Individual State???????? The ONLY logical time to run Dual State is after Individual State IF it has to be done at all.

Doc, liked the artical in the gloge today on Steenlage, another legendary beast!!

Everything is about money now. The state dual scheduling has zero consideration for the kids. I'd like to see the morons who created this schedule wrestle 3 matches in a day and then go out and try to win a state title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT