ADVERTISEMENT

Boys 3200 (1A?)

BandGetsToPlay

Freshman
Nov 3, 2002
Willys Pool Hall
What's this I am hearing that they lost track/miscounted the number of laps that had been run and called the race after 7 laps? Some runners stopped, some kept running?! What a joke...

The first part of the video here shows the end of the "bell" lap, then they fast forward to the actual end of the race.

We were sitting just past the finish line (my daughter had just run the 3000) and started yelling that they had the count wrong as soon as we saw the counter put her hand on the bell to ring it.

But, at least the decided to give both runners 1st place medals and name them co-champs, which was the best way to handle a bad situation.

Probably the best solution to a really challenging problem. The obvious answer is "don't let this happen", but it did happen and I have no clue how you fix it. It was certainly the talk of the state meet and I doubt the bell-ringer is able to volunteer for the Salvation Army after this.

Probably the best solution to a really challenging problem. The obvious answer is "don't let this happen", but it did happen and I have no clue how you fix it. It was certainly the talk of the state meet and I doubt the bell-ringer is able to volunteer for the Salvation Army after this.

Agree about the best solution.

Keep in mind, the bell ringer isn't the only one who lost count. None of the officials on the track, there were at least 2 plus the bell ringer, or in the booth noticed. It was announced as they were heading to the finish line on lap 6 that they were about to start the bell lap, and after the bell, it was announced a couple of times that it was the last lap. This wasn't on one person, this was a failure of any official to have the right count.

Agree about the best solution.

Keep in mind, the bell ringer isn't the only one who lost count. None of the officials on the track, there were at least 2 plus the bell ringer, or in the booth noticed. It was announced as they were heading to the finish line on lap 6 that they were about to start the bell lap, and after the bell, it was announced a couple of times that it was the last lap. This wasn't on one person, this was a failure of any official to have the right count.

Here's what I am hearing...a lot of the 'officials' have done this for MANY years and maybe have lost a step so to speak, but the association can't find 'younger' blood to step up, therefore these 'mistakes' are going to happen...sad, actually embarrassing. But hey, that's the Boone Boys for you...keep on truckin' right Budd?

ADVERTISEMENT