ADVERTISEMENT

Big week 3 games?

Zowwy21

Freshman
Nov 6, 2013
Wapsie at MFL will be a big measuring stick for both teams. East Buc gave all Wapsie could handle in first half last week but then Wapsie scores 33 in and pretty much had their way with them in the second half. Curious which team will show up.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I believe both teams have fairly inexperienced O & D lines, but the skill guys on both teams are very good. Wapsie's skill guys (QB, RB, FB, WR, TE) are all seniors and MFL has two good juniors in the backfield, a senior QB and WR, and a really fast sophomore wingback. Nod probably goes to Wapsie but it's at MFL, so should be a heck of a game.

I think this is a measuring stick game for MFL as a program, I think they have a good team, but I think people still question their program a bit, are they going to be a school that is there consistently.

Reactions: IGo42
I know MFL is a pretty young team, mostly sophs and juniors. If they have a solid season this year, I would imagine next year they'll be a Top 5 team to start the season.

Last edited:
St. Albert at Riverside should be interesting. SA starting off 0-2, though losing to Lewis Central was a given, losing to LoMa was not. Riverside is 2-0, both blowout wins vs weak competition. SA can not afford to lose this game on the road.

I’ll be at Sidney for the Tri-Center matchup. Shouldn’t be much of a game. Sidney is wishing their petition to stay in 8 man would have been granted. TC needs to bounce back after a drubbing by Underwood. Underwood is a team to watch in 1A. Big boys on the line and solid skill players.

I don't know Sidney has at least been competitive in their first two games, Shenandoah is a 2A school and they only like by a touchdown.

I'm also interested in ...
Ed-Co vs Alburnett, expect Ed-Co to win, but Caves is always tough to handle

Bishop Garrigan vs West Hancock, two perennial powers maybe down a tad from prior years, giving West Hancock the nod.

AHSTW vs SW Valley - Not sure what to think here. AHSTW lost close one to Shenandoah and SW Valley 3-0? Are they for real?

Other thoughts?

Bishop Garrigan vs West Hancock, two perennial powers maybe down a tad from prior years, giving West Hancock the nod.

AHSTW vs SW Valley - Not sure what to think here. AHSTW lost close one to Shenandoah and SW Valley 3-0? Are they for real?

Other thoughts?
I think edco should run away with this one. If they don’t I think they may not be as good as ppl think. I would think a score similar to the MFL and alburnett game.

Garrigan hasn’t put up stats all year on quik stats so I’m assuming they are down this year. Any garrigan ppl want to fill us in on expectations for this year team? 0-2 definitely not a normal year for them.

West is weak this year my thoughts on that game lol

I think East Buc and Maquoketa Valley will be a decent game tonight. MV has put up a lot of points the first two weeks and EB is pretty big and physical up front. With the weather looking nasty, I'll side with EB on this game. I think this match up might have gone to OT last year. Both teams are actually pretty solid I think.

ed-co and alburnett played in pretty similar conditions 2 years ago at alburnett, the year ed-co went to toe semi's.
Pirates actually dominated most of the first half , but couldnt finish drives off . Vikings scored late in the half and then twice in about 3 minutes to start to the 3rd. I think the final was 35-7 or something like that?

I could see something similar. But if the Pirates could get a lead early and establish some belief, then it could be interesting. Alburnett has athletes but ed-co, I think , is just a little too seasoned at this point

Would rather be in Monona for the Wapsie -MFL game though.

This weather may favor MFL. WV relies heavily on speed and balance which may be difficult to maintain in the rain. Should be a battle.

Alburnett is not very good. .500 team this year is my guess. Caves has lost a step or three from that knee injury. He's still their best athlete, but he's not what he was before the injury. Beyond him, they don't have much. RB probably deserved 2-3 unsportsmanlike penalties against MFL. Coach had to get in his face and sit him on the bench to calm him down.

MFL is an above average Class A team this year. Maybe a year away from being a true contender. That coach has done a great job turning the program around though. FB is a shifty runner. He'll make some plays. But their line is much smaller than last yr. A well disciplined defense that watches film will cause them problems.

Ed-co has speed... lots of it. Not sure if that helps on a wet muddy field in a downpour though. Ed-Co should win by 21 or more this week if it was on turf. They're a good team, although that Starmont score baffles me. Not sure how they match up against power run teams.

In the long run, it only matters if you can beat the best. If you can't beat the best to get to the dome, get better in the offseason. Yes, it sucks when the top team is in your region, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Don't pull a West Branch and whine about how close you are to Regina, figure out a way to win. Participation trophies are for the losers.

Just looking at the top 10

Grundy Center vs. North Mahaska- blowout
St. Ansgar vs. Nashua Plainfield- blowout
Regina vs North Cedar- blowout
Ed-Co vs. Alburnett- closer than the first 3 put not competitive
Wapsie vs. MFL- Probably the game of the week
South Winn vs. Clayton Ridge- blowout
Lisbon vs. Columbus- blowout
West Hancock vs. Garrigan- I don't think that WH is a top 10 team yet, Garrigan is their rival this could be close???
LoMa vs Westwood- Westwood has been good the last couple of year, could be a closer game.

Overall in class A, you're either a have or a have not

Regina at winless North Cedar in the rain and heavy fog tonight. Up 48-0 at half, final was 62-0.

I don't know Sidney has at least been competitive in their first two games, Shenandoah is a 2A school and they only like by a touchdown.

Shenandoah is not very good. Sidney should have been allowed to stay in 8-man. Sidney will be 0-7 this season. 49-14. Sidney’s two TDs were off a muffed punt that TC lost inside their own 25. The other was their varsity vs our JV In garbage time. I really felt bad for Sidney last night.

My kid had an 85 yard run BTW.

Other thoughts?

AHSTW is a year or two away from being really good again. Only 3 seniors on this team, 2 of them starters.

Shenandoah is not very good. Sidney should have been allowed to stay in 8-man. Sidney will be 0-7 this season. 49-14. Sidney’s two TDs were off a muffed punt that TC lost inside their own 25. The other was their varsity vs our JV In garbage time. I really felt bad for Sidney last night.

My kid had an 85 yard run BTW.

Why should Sidney be allowed to stay down? They have a BEDs number of 136...so they're 16 students over. If you look at past BEDs numbers, they were at 154 in 2018 (39 kids over) and 138 in 2016 (23 kids over). They've been allowed to play down a classification for a number of years when they shouldn't have been allowed based on their BEDs numbers. They're not good....that's not a reason for them to stay in 8 man.

Why should Sidney be allowed to stay down? They have a BEDs number of 136...so they're 16 students over. If you look at past BEDs numbers, they were at 154 in 2018 (39 kids over) and 138 in 2016 (23 kids over). They've been allowed to play down a classification for a number of years when they shouldn't have been allowed based on their BEDs numbers. They're not good....that's not a reason for them to stay in 8 man.
^^^great post.

I guess I felt sorry for them. They had 2 wins last season in 8 man. Probably 0 this season. My post was based on what I saw on the field. I was not aware of their bed count.

I guess I felt sorry for them. They had 2 wins last season in 8 man. Probably 0 this season. My post was based on what I saw on the field. I was not aware of their bed count.
Yeah no reason to feel sorry for them they knew they were going to have to play 11 man for a awhile, Should have been playing 11 man for few years. They just thought they could cry their way into staying in 8 man.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
My only problem with the Sidney situation is that they let 3 or 4 other schools stay in 8 man who had an enrollment over 120. Those schools should also be playing in class A.

But how many years have they been over? I guess I'm not sure what schools you're talking about, but the state has granted exemptions in the past if you can show you'll be back under the limit the following cycle. Obviously, Sidney has been playing a game with the system for a couple of cycles, as they have been over the limit for at least the last two. I didn't go back any farther in my initial post, but I can't seem to find any BEDS numbers from before 2016 now either. I found overall enrollment, but that's it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT