ADVERTISEMENT

BH-RV

Feb 27, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why Boyden-Hull and Rock Valley are allowed to join forces in sports other than basketball? Both schools are big enough to field teams in baseball, football, wrestling etc on their own. It can't be a financial issue as both districts are likely swimming in money with tremendous tax bases in that area.
I'm assuming the reason the state allows districts to share programs normally is to provide opportunities to kids at schools too small to put a team on the field/court/mat.
In my eyes, allowing BH-RV to combine forces gives them an advantage in hoops. It becomes more of a big school situation, where not every kid can make the starting 11 in football, maybe they decide to put more of their focus on basketball?
In terms of football, there are a lot of small schools playing class A or 1A ball that would love to take a shot at BH or RV on their own.
Am I missing something? What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks in advance!

They joined together for football in 1990 when both school districts we're significantly smaller. Boyden-Hull had always struggled to get enough kids for football and was actually combined with George during the 80's untill they merged with Little Rock. Since then both schools have seen growth but I think they have been combined for so long there is no desire to separate again even if they could do it feasibly.

I get what you are saying but I don't think your hypothetical argument is actually happening. The best athletes are playing both sports. It is still two small schools and these kids want to play all the sports they can.

Can anyone explain to me why Boyden-Hull and Rock Valley are allowed to join forces in sports other than basketball? Both schools are big enough to field teams in baseball, football, wrestling etc on their own. It can't be a financial issue as both districts are likely swimming in money with tremendous tax bases in that area.
I'm assuming the reason the state allows districts to share programs normally is to provide opportunities to kids at schools too small to put a team on the field/court/mat.
In my eyes, allowing BH-RV to combine forces gives them an advantage in hoops. It becomes more of a big school situation, where not every kid can make the starting 11 in football, maybe they decide to put more of their focus on basketball?
In terms of football, there are a lot of small schools playing class A or 1A ball that would love to take a shot at BH or RV on their own.
Unless it has changed in the last couple of years, I don't think Boyden-Hull is that will off financially.

The situation where kids don’t do football to focus of basketball doesn’t happen much at all. With anyone that gets into the game for BH they all were on the football team. RV has one player that gets god minutes that didn’t go out. So from about 16 players, 1 kid didn’t play both sports.

BHRV has the highest participation numbers in the state for football. Over 100 kids out. They are not skipping other sports to focus on basketball

Manipulating the system through selective sport sharing agreements. Perhaps the IHSAA can add that to their list of things to review.
They still are a 2a football program so whine all you want they won’t be splitting up.

So, it sounds like could easily split the football team up if they wanted to.
In fact, they probably should if there are over 100 kids out.
That's probably correct.

They combined when it was really necessary, & continue because it worked so well.
I don't think its anything sinister, just "why change until they make us?"
The shared programs have worked great for many sports (XC, BB, FB) that originally were hurting for numbers, but it was a move that was also beneficial for the communities involved.
The original fears about rivalry wound up being the exact opposite. I'd say the communities involved get along better now, even when playing each other.

That's probably correct.

They combined when it was really necessary, & continue because it worked so well.
I don't think its anything sinister, just "why change until they make us?"
The shared programs have worked great for many sports (XC, BB, FB) that originally were hurting for numbers, but it was a move that was also beneficial for the communities involved.
The original fears about rivalry wound up being the exact opposite. I'd say the communities involved get along better now, even when playing each other.

So now they have access to more FB players than the other ‘true’ small towns? Boys in Boone better get on this.

But they don’t have access to more football players than any of their competition. They are still classified into a class wether it’s 2a or 3a just like everyone else. They didn’t find a loop hole to get into a smaller class with a larger amount of students. They have to fit into the same boundaries as all the other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT