ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player in Class A Football?

IGo42

Freshman
Sep 10, 2019
Who's the best overall football player in Class A football? I've seen a lot of different teams in eastern Iowa play this year and will chime in with my opinion after I hear from some of the rest of you.

He's done playing for the year but Caleb Bacon from Lake Mills was the most complete defensive player I have seen at the class A level in quite a while. Most of the time when you see that many tackles from a player I figure the stats were padded, but with him I honestly thought that his total was too low.

Reactions: hmshawk12 and IGo42
He's done playing for the year but Caleb Bacon from Lake Mills was the most complete defensive player I have seen at the class A level in quite a while. Most of the time when you see that many tackles from a player I figure the stats were padded, but with him I honestly thought that his total was too low.
Agree, that kid is a beast. He will most likely play division 1 ball somewhere. He is being recruited by both Iowa State and Iowa as well as Waldorf. He has visited Iowa twice. No scholarship offers yet though.

I may be biased, but I say Alec Wick. Second in receiving yards in 1A last year. Currently sits at 2nd in Class A this year (only because of the bye two weeks ago), and leads Class A in receiving touchdowns. He also plays cornerback well and handles the kicking duties. He's a multi-sport athlete, two time soccer state champ and all-state selection. Plays and has started for the basketball and baseball team as well.

Second choice would be Ashton Cook. 6'5" lefty QB. 2nd in class A in passing yards (due to the bye two weeks ago). Accurate passer with a strong arm and has played well against all levels of competition, this season and in previous seasons.

I haven't seen Lake Mills this year, so I can't comment there, but Alec Wick would be the best one I've seen this year. He's a phenomenal athlete. Maybe an even better corner than WR which is saying a lot! He could play either at the next level. Fast, excellent hands, and aggressive. After him, I would actually put Theo Kolie above Cook as far as a pure football athlete. He is more raw talent that isn't yet completely refined as a player, but it's hard to beat his quickness and speed. Plus he plays both ways. Cook is an excellent QB, don't get me wrong, but it helps having those two athletes around him for sure.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I may be biased, but I say Alec Wick. Second in receiving yards in 1A last year. Currently sits at 2nd in Class A this year (only because of the bye two weeks ago), and leads Class A in receiving touchdowns. He also plays cornerback well and handles the kicking duties. He's a multi-sport athlete, two time soccer state champ and all-state selection. Plays and has started for the basketball and baseball team as well.

Second choice would be Ashton Cook. 6'5" lefty QB. 2nd in class A in passing yards (due to the bye two weeks ago). Accurate passer with a strong arm and has played well against all levels of competition, this season and in previous seasons.
Regina players don't count for best in Class A.

Big stat lines for Regina’s Cook and Wick in last night’s playoff victory.
Cook 19-29 for 391 yards passing and 3 TD’s, 0 INT.
Wick, 10 receptions for 241 yards receiving, 1 TD, and 1 INT on defense, and 4/4 on PAT attempts.

Big stat lines for Regina’s Cook and Wick in last night’s playoff victory.
Cook 19-29 for 391 yards passing and 3 TD’s, 0 INT.
Wick, 10 receptions for 241 yards receiving, 1 TD, and 1 INT on defense, and 4/4 on PAT attempts.
You are insulting Wick by including him in the same class as Cook.

The name always makes me think of this Fishbone album cover.

61G10I8Gg-L._SX466_.jpg

Bump. The correct answer was Alec Wick.

The LBer from Lake Mills is the best player in class A, heard from many coaches and watched him on film. Everyone gets caught up on offensive stats thinking those players are the best but This kid is the real deal.

Season highlights from the new Iowa high school all time reception record holder.
Wick made some incredible catches this season. Also played great at corner and handled placekicking duties as well.

ADVERTISEMENT