ADVERTISEMENT

best 4A state champion that lost a game?

DSMan

Varsity
Nov 12, 2006
here are some I can think of:
73 Davenport Central
75 Heelan
89 Linn-Mar

all well before my time

If I can remember that far back....73 Davenport Central had Curtis Craig?

02 WDM Valley - Went 10-3, Jason Scales Junior year, ran the table the following year. This is actually the only team in 4A in the 2000s to win a title with a loss.

The 1997 Ankeny team was a pretty impressive team that could run, pass, and had probably the best kicker in Iowa HS history. They lost two games, but then got to play three loss teams in the semifinals and championships after a ton of upsets. I still think they were a great team.

Yes, Curtis Craig was on that '73 Davenport Central team which lost to Assumption in an OT thriller at John O'Donnell Stadium (now Modern Woodman Park).

Only field I played on that you could go from grass, to turf, to gravel, to having a raised foul line all on one field in play.

My cousins played for Assumption in 1973 game against Central. On a rainy night, Craig fumbled ball just short of goal line and Assumption player recovered ball in end zone to preserve the win.

Until Tim Dwight-led 1992 City High football and 1993 track teams, that 1973 Central team had the best overall speed of any Iowa high school football team I've ever watched. Curtis Craig ran 9.8 100 yd dash, sprint relays and long jumped over 22'; Chris Bryant won the State 120 yd high hurdles; Tony Steverson won the State 180 yd low hurdles; & 160 lb pulling guard / middle guard Bobby Bostic won the State 100 yd dash in 9.9 seconds.

If memory serves me correct, they set an all-time Iowa State Track Meet record for team points in 1974 that City High broke in 1993. Regardless of being undefeated or not, both of those Central and City High teams were among the very best Iowa high school football and track teams ever!

Originally posted by RLStrack:

My cousins played for Assumption in 1973 game against Central. On a rainy night, Craig fumbled ball just short of goal line and Assumption player recovered ball in end zone to preserve the win.

Until Tim Dwight-led 1992 City High football and 1993 track teams, that 1973 Central team had the best overall speed of any Iowa high school football team I've ever watched. Curtis Craig ran 9.8 100 yd dash, sprint relays and long jumped over 22'; Chris Bryant won the State 120 yd high hurdles; Tony Steverson won the State 180 yd low hurdles; & 160 lb pulling guard / middle guard Bobby Bostic won the State 100 yd dash in 9.9 seconds.

If memory serves me correct, they set an all-time Iowa State Track Meet record for team points in 1974 that City High broke in 1993. Regardless of being undefeated or not, both of those Central and City High teams were among the very best Iowa high school football and track teams ever!
What ever happened with Curtis? Obviously everyone knows what happened with Roger.

Originally posted by RLStrack:

might add that Dowling had a good 4x100 team in 99 which all four played football - Ollie (tailback), Smith (wingback), Landolt (corner) and Jones (split end).

'91 Bettendorf Football. 11-2 State Champs

Starting QB hurt all season until last game. Tavian Banks missed 3 games.

Lost to Burlington 1st game
Lost to Clinton

Playoffs with everyone healthy

31-3 Assumption
55-17 Burlington avenged loss
41-9 Dubuque Whalert beat Clinton week before 33-0
6-0 Heelan State Title Game

Curtis Craig went on to play WB at Nebraska after graduating from Davenport Central in 1974 - 2 years after Cornhuskers' Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers career ended. He started his sophomore, junior and senior years from 1975-1977 and was Academic All Big Eight in 1977. After graduating from Nebraska, Curtis was employed by the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services and currently works with the Lincoln, NE school system. One of the greatest all-around athletes in Iowa high school history, he starred in football, wrestling and track & field as a Davenport Central Blue Devil.

2003 Washington. The only problem is that the game they lost was in the state championship. Does that count?

1965 Permian Panthers from Odessa, Texas... 13-1 State Champions. Lost 2nd game of the season 7-6 to Lubbock Monterey

Otherwise the 1997 and 1999 St. Thomas Aquinas State Championship teams which both last 1 game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT