ADVERTISEMENT

Beef Bowl!!!

Nov 7, 2015
Game lived up to the hype. West Lyon played a great game. Ball control offense was their script and they stuck to it. Everything fell into place for them. Idk the actual stats but I would guess time of possession was somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-12 in favor of WL. CLGLR had 3 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter.

About the 9 min mark of the 4th quarter CLGLR put the best drive together they had all game up until that point and punched it into the end zone to bring it back within 3. At 2:11 left in the game WL coaching staff had a tough decision to make on a 4th and 5 on the 38 yard line going in. They elected to punt it that went into the end zone. Lions ball with 2:04 left. The Lions went 80 yards down the field and went up 20-16 with 20 seconds left. Hell of a game. Next one hopefully will be in the dome in the Semis but we will see what the state decides to do and if both teams can make it there.

It was a great game. Hopefully if these two see each other again it is in the dome. West Lyon controlled most of the game, but Lutmer got going in the 4th and WL couldn't contain him.

Thus game was a heavy weight match-up! Great game by both teams. The playoff rematch will be epic! Hopefully round 2 for these teams will be in the Dome!

Reactions: HawkinWater
Thus game was a heavy weight match-up! Great game by both teams. The playoff rematch will be epic! Hopefully round 2 for these teams will be in the Dome!

What is the criteria for the second group of pods? is it even possbile for these two to face each other in the dome?

What is the criteria for the second group of pods? is it even possbile for these two to face each other in the dome?

It's going to be difficult to keep them separated long enough for a Dome rematch, because there will be so few teams left in western Iowa. The only way would be to pair one off with Greene County/Atlantic/???, and the other with Spirit Lake/E-LC/???. Then you start getting into neutral sites because of the distance.

It seems much more likely that the next pod would be CL/G-LR, West Lyon, Spirit Lake, and E-LC. They could be split up to setup a quarterfinal rematch, but that's probably about as far as it could be stretched.

My guess is that a rematch would be in the quarters, it would be hard to keep them apart when they are so isolated geographically

The reason you get teams from this corner of the state making deep runs in the playoff every year regardless of class is because of how many good teams there are in this area. There isn't many weeks of the schedule that are easy wins. That also means there is some good football teams that are done earlier in the playoffs than perhaps they would be if they had a different route.

I'm sure Unity and Sioux Center were hoping they moved them over to Pods 3 & 4 and Cherokee and Okoboji over to Pods 1 & 2. They are both damn good football teams and likely wont make the actual playoffs and would have not made the playoffs had this been a normal year. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. That being said CL-GLR only beat Unity 21-0 and WL only beat Sioux Center 26-12 so neither game is a guarantee anything can happen.

I'm sure if you asked WL and CLGLR neither team would mind traveling an extra hour or 2 to play someone else but I think your right that's not likely what will happen. If this game is played in the quarters it'll be another great game that unfortunately wont get the coverage or hype that it would if it was in the semis at the dome. Id put my money on the winning team making it to the title game though that's for sure.

I should add that I've watched Spirit Lake play this year have not had the chance to watch ELC but they are both quality opponents that for sure. CLGLR has had some history with both teams and they are always tough games. I'm sure they will have plenty to say about them being in the quarters rather than both of the Lyon County teams.

Reactions: MsideChief
The state had no problem having West Lyon travel last year.
They went to Osage - 3.5 hour trip.
Then traveled to play Dike New Hartford- over 4 hour trip.
This allowed West Lyon to play district foe West Sioux again in the semis in the Dome which if you recall was a Great game!

Last edited:
I have heard that the state is going to seed the second round of pods but matchups may altered slightly for geography.

The state had no problem having West Lyon travel last year.
They went to Osage - 3.5 hour trip.
Then traveled to play Dike New Hartford- over 4 hour trip.

In a fully-seeded, fully-bracketed format with only 16 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT