ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Restrictions vs. Football Strength and Conditioning

Aug 1, 2011
I need wrapping my head around baseball and football.......

Baseball, a skill sports, that focus on body mechanics, rotation, and development, has a pitching dead period (I approve) and a 30 hour hitting period (starting in April, 10 - 3 hour continuous sessions). But football seems to work year around, but calling it strength and conditioning....then 7-on-7....then in-season. Should baseball coaches be able to work on baseball skills, but call it player development???? I don't see football parents paying hundreds/thousands of dollars to develop their child in football, strength and conditioning is free at their school, but baseball parents have to hire someone because baseball coaches are restricted. Are these strength and conditioning workouts available to all athletes, not just football players?? If it is just football players, I would consider that a football workout.

Just a CIVIL open discussion.....what are peoples' thoughts.

Interesting topic that probably doesn't get talked about enough. You could throw basketball into that equation too: nearly year-round "open gyms", summer tournaments/summer leagues, year-round AAU, etc.

I understand and agree with the pitching limitation/dead period. That is a must. But, I have never understood why a coach can't work on developing hitting, fielding skills, catching skills, etc with their players.

As for workouts being available to all athletes, I would assume that definitely varies from school-to-school/system-to-system.

In regards to the initial post, if a school is doing it right, ALL of their athletes should be lifting weights and strength training. It shouldn't be just a "football thing."

Reactions: obfuscating
Just to add another thought as I'm not 100% sure where the original post is coming from, if a football program is conducting actual football activities under the guise of "strength and conditioning" that is illegal. Coaches are not supposed to do that during the school year. If it actually is weight lifting and conditioning, again that is something all athletes should be doing regardless of sport. The flaw wouldn't be that the football team is doing that out of season, the flaw is the other sports are not having their athletes strength train.

Obfuscating, just on the surface of your comment, it would appear your school is doing it right if all athletes have the opportunity to lift and there is a differentiation between in-season and out-of-season sports.

The rules are while have the right idea and well intended are flawed and simply not enforceable. I guarantee you every school and sport is braking them in one fashion or another.

As stated earlier weight training benefits all sports not just football. Also football coaches cannot work with players on any skills after the season is over until school is out unless it is doing something like taking kids to a college camp. Basketball to me seems worse to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT