ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny vs. Dowling, Psychology

Nov 9, 2019
It seems many of the posts thus far have chosen Ankeny over Dowling, and I am inclined to agree. However, I can't help but think about the Psychology of the Dome. For example, it is clear Dowling has a history of winning at the Dome and playing on turf, and Dowling is also known for capitalizing on mistakes.

Ankeny has not been at the Dome for awhile, and the atmosphere, turf, and slightly higher nerves/stakes that all players (on both sides) feel makes me think Ankeny will commit more mistakes than usual. I wonder if Dowling comes out strong, they might make it hard for Ankeny to come back. Also, if I am correct, each of Dowling's losses in the past 8 years has been by a touchdown or less, usually like 4 points, so although history doesn't dictate the future, overall I am going to make the guess that Ankeny wins by a touchdown, or Dowling might come out on top if they start strong. Additionally, some have talked about how teams are sometimes intimidated by Dowling, but I don't think that is the case with Ankeny-they have reason to be confident. But, neither team has played each other this year, and I imagine both will try new tactics to win and have been studying film like crazy. Moreover, although they haven't played this year, they have met many times in the past few years, so each coach has an idea of how to try and approach the other's programs, and Dowling has always won.

To be clear, I think Ankeny is the better team, but I think it will be much closer than many think, and that Dowling's defense is better than it gets credit for. Thoughts?

I agree that Dowling will be competitive for awhile. Just the nature of the coaching staff being excellent at Dowling. But, Ankeny will pull away in the 2nd half, the weapons Ankeny has is too much for Dowling to overcome, even in the Dome.

Haven’t seen either team but inclined to believe Ankeny has the talent upper hand. That being said, having watched Bett have Dowling down 17pts at half two years ago, only to allow them claw back and finally win (with the help of three crappy calls by homer officials) don’t count them out until the red light fades from their eyes.

Always thought calls eventually even out. Dowling TD called back on phantom OPI call, and clear fumble by Ankeny QB recovered by Dowling overturned. Ankeny 3 Dowling 0.

Got to say, not that impressed by Ankeny. Defense looks undersized, poor tackling and QB needs to make quicker decisions

I was dead wrong. Ankeny is very lucky the refs bailed them out on a couple calls, otherwise it could be worse.

Dowling’s coaching staff has absolutely neutralized Ankeny’s pass attack. Very impressed.

Reactions: franky1967
Why in the world isn’t Ankeny throwing more to Bruce/Brecht?
Not a horse collar huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: vikingfan13
Their oline coach is a wizard. Also helps to get their beast tight end healthy and adding Finn Claypool mid season certainly didn’t hurt.

Dowling is the best coached team in the state, they were out talented on the field but the coaching staff kept them in that game until the end. Brilliant for Ankeny to have Bruce on Dowling’s top receiver on the final play, he’s an athlete.

Reactions: franky1967
..... and adding Finn Claypool mid season certainly didn’t hurt.
Huh, being on the “east coast” I didn’t realize he was a mid-season transfer until I read this. So how did that get approved, he played at Roosevelt and when their season ended he transferred?

The Dowling OL coach is a wizard. They couldn't block anyone early in the season.
I am sure their OL good is very good, as all of their staff is good, but didn't Dowling get 2 OL transfers from Roosevelt that both start, that would also be a factor of some of the improvement

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT