ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny transfer Arland Bruce v. Tom Keating & IH$AA

I'm left wondering isn't it the School/Coach that should have informed him 1st?

So now he is down to a minimum of 7games to play if nothing else goes wrong such as Ankeny having to cancell a game to Covid.

My guess is the Athletic Association is correct on their decision. If the Register is accurate in reporting the family situation.

His mother gives up custody of other Children to a relative. The Athlete and the mother move to Iowa, lease a place to stay "at a friend's house" Have they been friends for a few weeks or a lifetime?

Can you see how he might lose an appeal? What is really wrong is he is told the day of the game.

Don't you think the Iowa Athletic Association or the School would have known about this and told him weeks in advance so he could appeal it before the season started?

The way I understand it is that it’s the schools responsibility to first make sure everything is on the up and up and then the association may look into it. Not sure what decides the association to look into individual cases though. Maybe a rival bringing attention to it or maybe just all the attention these transfers have gotten the last few weeks. For whatever reason the association looked into it, I think it should’ve been taken care of before game day.

The way I understand it is that it’s the schools responsibility to first make sure everything is on the up and up and then the association may look into it. Not sure what decides the association to look into individual cases though. Maybe a rival bringing attention to it or maybe just all the attention these transfers have gotten the last few weeks. For whatever reason the association looked into it, I think it should’ve been taken care of before game day.
I'm just thinking what if the Association could not get ahold of him or his mother? Then he goes and plays a game. Something is not right with the article.

The Association should have told the school, then the Coach and the Coach to the Parent/Student.

I'm thinking the Parent/Student left the Coach out of the story for whatever reason.

I agree waiting until game day no matter what didn't do anyone any good.

If a Tov

Does Bruce have a case?

Bad look for Keating and the IH$AA if they lose the appeal.

Everyone in the entire state knows all of these "moves" are bogus, the kids all moved here in August to play football and will return to their home states in January, that's not hard to figure out. None of these cases are, "dad got transferred to Wells Fargo, so we are picking up the family and moving to another state."

The Ankeny transfer said IHSAA said he was not eligible because he has siblings still in school in his home state. I would be curious to know if any of the other transfers have siblings still living in their home state with the other parent did not move. This is all speculation, but did the Valley QB's sibling move with him, if he did great, guessing he did it by the book. Did Dowling, SEP and Waukee's? If they have siblings, it would be interesting to know.

Look, I suppose the IHSAA figures each district is more than “able” to determine whether their transfers are eligible per guidelines, whether they are “willing” is an entirely different matter.

The IHSAA excuse I heard that his siblings must also change schools, would not be consistent with previously allowed transfers.
Lol yep. It's like why now after all these years of overlooking all the rampant transferring that has gone on throughout the state, and especially within the DSM metro, do we decide to crack down on this ONE kid?...............

Come on now. Be less obvious, Association. You know how to do that.

I'm left wondering isn't it the School/Coach that should have informed him 1st?

So now he is down to a minimum of 7games to play if nothing else goes wrong such as Ankeny having to cancell a game to Covid.

My guess is the Athletic Association is correct on their decision. If the Register is accurate in reporting the family situation.

His mother gives up custody of other Children to a relative. The Athlete and the mother move to Iowa, lease a place to stay "at a friend's house" Have they been friends for a few weeks or a lifetime?

Can you see how he might lose an appeal? What is really wrong is he is told the day of the game.

Don't you think the Iowa Athletic Association or the School would have known about this and told him weeks in advance so he could appeal it before the season started?
No. What is really wrong is the insanity of the parents of doing “whatsoever it takes” for their kids to play. The stories are insane. People really need to get a grip. And why the athletic association allows it to happen in the first place. Well, I already know the answer to that one. Nevermind.

I've heard that if married, the parents can claim separation, then you can get around the 2 residence thing and reconcile when the season's over.

I've heard that if married, the parents can claim separation, then you can get around the 2 residence thing and reconcile when the season's over.

Looks like the Bruce situation is currently in the court's hands. Hawkeye Report has a 7 page thread on it. Someone claiming to be his attorney is on there giving updates. If you go there, get your popcorn. Either let them all play or none of them play. This is getting out of hand.

It’s been “out of hand” from the beginning but many schools were apparently willing to look the other way or rationalize their transfer(s) in a quest to push them over the top...or at least it appears that way.

Reactions: stickman80
It just looks bad that there have been questionable transfers for years. But, then they pick out this kid for special attention. Earlier this year, they said they left the determination to school administrators. Now, here, they don't.

Reactions: franky1967
I have no respect for any coach who lets these kids play. That is clearly just dumping on the kids who have put in the time and work in your program. Let the freeloaders ride the pine.

Obvious in this case it is not a legit move but clearly a ruse to interlope somewhere and get playtime this fall. Sad part is you know next semester they will find their way back to their "real" home and double dip spring football there.

I tip my hat to the boys from Boone for saying no to this instance even if they are instructed to cave on the appeal. They attempted to do the right thing and that should be commended.

Guessing Ankeny coaches saw the Valley QB transfer and others as a big obstacle to a state title and are escalating knowing Bruce is the equalizer
At the expense of the kids who have been there working their a$$es off.

Just read in the DSM Register, WDSM Valley has 3 out of state transfers starting and this poor Ankeny kid is fighting his transfer in a court of law? Explain to me how that works? I really don't like Ankeny, but kind of rooting for them now.

I'm sure you will find many jaded individuals on that team.............just ask them instead of speaking for them (yeah yeah I know, where's the fun in that.....;))
I just hope that none of these kids or their parents get more than what they bargained for. Not advocating illegal play (actually just the opposite) but after watching the ankle/leg crank that hobbled the Dowling QB in last years title game, these interloping "studs" could be targeted.

There are teams that will do anything to try and win. I could see foul play and retaliation becoming a factor. Maybe KF needs to talk to the coaches and tell them nothing better happen to "his boy".

Last edited:
Just read in the DSM Register, WDSM Valley has 3 out of state transfers starting and this poor Ankeny kid is fighting his transfer in a court of law? Explain to me how that works? I really don't like Ankeny, but kind of rooting for them now.
I started rooting for whoever plays Valley after the leg crank on the Dowling QB in last years title game. There is only 1 thing more pathetic than a cheater. A cheater that still gets beat.

IH$AA is mailing the ruling lol. What a troll job by the boys in Boone.

Backstory is Ankeny AD Andy Umthun was hired by Keating as the Xavier AD when Keating was principal at Xavier HS.

Yeah, it’s not like this is a SCOTUS case with implications, make a decision so people can move on.

IH$AA is mailing the ruling lol. What a troll job by the boys in Boone.

Backstory is Ankeny AD Andy Umthun was hired by Keating as the Xavier AD when Keating was principal at Xavier HS.
..any boys from Boone have family members or friends kids who lost their spot to this interloper at Ankeny?

I once got burned giving a verbal notice followed up by letter. The other party suddenly recollected something different than myself and claimed they never got a letter and I could not prove I sent it. Went to court and the judge basically called me a fool for not sending it certified mail. Suggested we settle this bogus "he said/she said" claim by splitting the amount.

Especially since this kid has hired an attorney if I were Boone the message would be delivered to him by certified mail. Only way to prove what was said and prove he was given the message.

I’m guessing they reversed their decision, but mailing it so he can’t play tonight.
As someone who hopes Fort Dodge beats Ankeny (wishful thinking), I don't necessarily mind this........ ;)

But yes, that was a cheap af move by the Association, which absolutely did that intentionally to delay the response.

A f***ing phone call would've been even easier than an email.........

That's not laziness or them sticking to their old ways......that's deliberate.

And for those reading who may work for the Association, no this is not just my opinion. Deal with it.

As someone who hopes Fort Dodge beats Ankeny (wishful thinking), I don't necessarily mind this........ ;)

But yes, that was a cheap af move by the Association, which absolutely did that intentionally to delay the response.

A f***ing phone call would've been even easier than an email.........

That's not laziness or them sticking to their old ways......that's deliberate.

And for those reading who may work for the Association, no this is not just my opinion. Deal with it.
Quite the horse FD has in the backfield. Might watch the Dowling game and see how he fares against their D. What can you tell us about the estrogen on the SE squad this year?

..any boys from Boone have family members or friends kids who lost their spot to this interloper at Ankeny?

I once got burned giving a verbal notice followed up by letter. The other party suddenly recollected something different than myself and claimed they never got a letter and I could not prove I sent it. Went to court and the judge basically called me a fool for not sending it certified mail. Suggested we settle this bogus "he said/she said" claim by splitting the amount.

Especially since this kid has hired an attorney if I were Boone the message would be delivered to him by certified mail. Only way to prove what was said and prove he was given the message.

could do both... and you can print off an email and prove it... date/time stamp and all

Quite the horse FD has in the backfield. Might watch the Dowling game and see how he fares against their D. (Probably about the same as everyone else....) What can you tell us about the estrogen on the SE squad this year?
From what I know, she played on the team last year, though never got a chance to kick in varsity, at least. Became the first girl to score for the Gaels earlier this year.

Reactions: stickman80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT