ADVERTISEMENT

8 man to 11 man and vise versa

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
Does anyone know for sure how many teams are going from 11 man to 8 man and 8 man jumping back up to 11 man. I had heard for the first time that more 8 man would come up than 11 man teams dropping down. These 8 man teams are either above or on the top bubble based on current enrollment but not the beds used for next year.
Sidney 131
Ia Valley Marengo 127
North Wood Kennsett 120
New London 120
Lone tree 120
Any others I am missing.

Iowa Valley I know petitioned to stay down because they had one unusually large class and then would dip right back down, so the state approved them to stay in 8 man.

Iowa Valley I know petitioned to stay down because they had one unusually large class and then would dip right back down, so the state approved them to stay in 8 man.
I had heard that the state wouldn't allow teams to petition to play down this year. I have no solid evidence of this, just heard this several times. Maybe the state will still allow this???

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23

If the state used 9 man instead of 8, the field can stay at 100 yards & there wouldn't be this problem.

The number of players being odd would also mean that 11 man offensive systems could be used & defenses could have a one high safety.
Both of which would help neutralize the talent differentials & corresponding point spreads from the beat downs ubiquitous to 8 man.

That's a crock, stick with what you said that there would be no waivers. There bed numbers last year by grade PK-12 were as followed 68,36,43,43,37,38,41,36,39,45,47,35,45,36. So the number for classification would be 127 based upon the 35, 47, 45. I am tired of the state letting teams get a waiver because they will probably go back below the line. No, there are a few schools, Iowa Valley is one of them that have been pulling this for close to 10 years, if you are above the line play 11 man football or be ineligible for the playoffs in 8 man.

That's a crock, stick with what you said that there would be no waivers. There bed numbers last year by grade PK-12 were as followed 68,36,43,43,37,38,41,36,39,45,47,35,45,36. So the number for classification would be 127 based upon the 35, 47, 45. I am tired of the state letting teams get a waiver because they will probably go back below the line. No, there are a few schools, Iowa Valley is one of them that have been pulling this for close to 10 years, if you are above the line play 11 man football or be ineligible for the playoffs in 8 man.

I agree as I thought the hard number was 120 and if you were above it it didn't matter because 120 is 120.Thats BS if they let them go back to 8 man.

Doesn’t Iowa allow for single sport co-ops with other schools, this would be a way to meet the 11 player limit.

Totally agree with you, just what I’ve heard from an IV parent but it was maybe two months ago and it could’ve just been him assuming they would get it, but I believe he was quite certain about it.

Not trying to pick on Iowa Valley, but they also had 41 players last year on their quikstats roster. To me that is not a program that should be playing 8 man. I know it is impossible to base classification on participation because that number fluctuates so much.

41 one year isn't going to drop below 20 the next. Any team with 25 plus should feel fortunate to play 8 man. Make two divisions of 8. Those who have too. Those who want too. Then you eliminate the up and down.

Does anyone know for sure how many teams are going from 11 man to 8 man and 8 man jumping back up to 11 man. I had heard for the first time that more 8 man would come up than 11 man teams dropping down. These 8 man teams are either above or on the top bubble based on current enrollment but not the beds used for next year.
Sidney 131
Ia Valley Marengo 127
North Wood Kennsett 120
New London 120
Lone tree 120
Any others I am missing.

New BEDs numbers are posted educateiowa website for next year classifications.

https://educateiowa.gov/documents/p...-grade-race-and-gender/2020/01/2019-2020-iowa

The schools in question below official BEDs numbers are as followed:

Sidney 136
Iowa Valley 131
Northwood 122
New London 129
Lone Tree 111

I took only the 9, 10, 11 classes in the 2019-2020 PreK-12 enrollment numbers. I think I did this correctly. If so, only Lone Tree is eligible to play 8 man next year out of the 'bubble' teams.

Yes, this is the one I was looking for. Thanks for posting. Will be interesting to see if the state mandates the 120 as a hard cut like they say they will.

Newell Fonda another 8 man powerhouse will be at 133. Northwood seems to be over the cut line every year but continues to play down. At the very least any school over the 120 should not be playoff worthy. New London, Iowa Valley, and Sidney really aren't even close.

Is there an easy way to add up the 3 columns on excel, I can't for the life up me remember how to do that.

Is there an easy way to add up the 3 columns on excel, I can't for the life up me remember how to do that.

Make a column after 9, 10, 11 and sum those and sort them.

Sidney, Newell Fonda, Iowa Valley, AGWSR, New London, East Union, Southeast Warren, and Northwood all by rule should be playing A.

Martensdale St. Marys, GMG, BGM, and North Tama are all eligible to go down.

Of course I wouldn't hold my breath on the IAHSAA following their own rules. They don't even know how many classes they want, right?

Reactions: IGo42
CAM and Clayton Ridge run online academies for the state of Iowa so they always have huge enrollments, when it comes to their competitive enrollment we'll have to wait until the IAHSAA releases it.

CAM and Clayton Ridge run online academies for the state of Iowa so they always have huge enrollments, when it comes to their competitive enrollment we'll have to wait until the IAHSAA releases it.

OK thank you, no idea they did that.

Newell Fonda at 133 should not be playing 8 man. That petition is a farce IMO, 120 is to high for 8 man class. Most teams in the 105-120 range have 30 or more playing. That is plenty for 11 man.

Newell Fonda had 42 kids out last year according to quickstats, more than quite a few class A, and I am sure a few 1A schools I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT