ADVERTISEMENT

8 game schedule

ToddDoxzon7

Freshman
Aug 20, 2004
Look for IAHSAA to recommend an 8 game schedule next season. This to help lengthen time between playoff games.

In all honesty, that would be the smartest thing the IHSAA could do.
But I have a hard time giving them that much credit. But we will see

I would be okay with this. It's the most realistic solution to the problem they created when they expanded the playoffs. Still doesn't solve the issue of having too many completely undeserving teams in the postseason, but at least this would allow them to preach about player safety and give them a leg to stand on. They could play every round before the Dome on Fridays, which is best for everyone involved. Players get the normal prep/recovery time between games and crowds could improve simply because it'd be a Friday night instead of a Wednesday or Monday night.

Originally posted by tm3308:
I would be okay with this. It's the most realistic solution to the problem they created when they expanded the playoffs. Still doesn't solve the issue of having too many completely undeserving teams in the postseason, but at least this would allow them to preach about player safety and give them a leg to stand on. They could play every round before the Dome on Fridays, which is best for everyone involved. Players get the normal prep/recovery time between games and crowds could improve simply because it'd be a Friday night instead of a Wednesday or Monday night.
I agree with tm3308. The players get the normal time for recovery.
This post was edited on 12/8 9:30 AM by TD-BOMBS

No one at last weeks district meeting could tell me why the association is so adement on getting the championship game done so early. Many state just had their state finals this past weekend. Makes no sense.

Originally posted by rocket2004:
No one at last weeks district meeting could tell me why the association is so adement on getting the championship game done so early. Many state just had their state finals this past weekend. Makes no sense.
paxregis has explained MANY times that the reason for finishing for Thanksgiving is because if we play them later the dome is not available because Northern Iowa could potentially host a playoff game.

So what about Northern Iowa. I know it is great to have and use but other states playing this late do not play in a dome.

Originally posted by smallcenter:

paxregis has explained MANY times that the reason for finishing for Thanksgiving is because if we play them later the dome is not available because Northern Iowa could potentially host a playoff game.
Yes, the IHSAA is at the mercy of UNI's wants for the dome, and UNI doesn't want to turn away a playoff game because the dome is already booked.

But wouldn't a playoff game for UNI and all FCS schools be on Saturdays? All the championship games for the IHSAA are now on Thursday and Friday. Why wouldn't it work for UNI to host both? Don't get it.

All games could be played on Friday following the Thanksgiving holiday with no interference to UNI.

For the record, there have been Friday FCS playoff games scheduled. This is especially so that TV coverage can be provided, so I don't think we can rule out a Friday contest. Furthermore, the fact that we are now playing championship games on Thursday and Friday instead of Friday and Saturday is bothersome. It used to be that 4 of 12 schools involved would have school days shorten or missed. Now that number is 8 of 12 at least, and in some cases the 3A (Thursday night) could have to miss time that day and miss time the next day depending on their travel.

I doubt that UNI would lose out if the calendar was blocked on Friday for the high school championships. UNI is a state facility and these are state sanctioned games, the state should have the final say.

Going back the last 4 years the FCS doesn't have any Friday playoff games until the quarters so that would be well after high school is done.

I am not positive....but I believe the NCAA would require the facility to be theirs solely for at least two days if not longer, guaranteeing the team coming in a walk-through/practice time, and other things since it would be an NCAA event, not a UNI event.

Originally posted by ORSKY1:

I doubt that UNI would lose out if the calendar was blocked on Friday for the high school championships. UNI is a state facility and these are state sanctioned games, the state should have the final say.
UNI is a regents facility that charges the IHSAA rental for the UNI-Dome and the McLeod Center whenever they hold events in their facilities. They are two way completely different entities.

What do other states do? Nebby, Illinois, Wisc, Mn?

It seems when I coached in Missouri the football teams played a ten game regular season schedule. Missouri schools used to play a three game "district" match-up to see who got into the playoffs. The last three games of the season were your district match-ups vs. classed school. The holder of the best record or the holder of a tie-breaker advanced into the playoffs. The last three games were sometimes conference and district games both. Sometimes a game could have outcomes that dictated both who won the conference and who advanced into the playoffs. and Yes occasionally you would have a team win their last three games and make the playoffs.

Missouri does not do it that way any more. We still do the jamboree which is the Friday before games start. Then we play a 8 game district. We still have 10 games but at the end of the ninth game they seed the 8 teams according to a points system and 8 will play 1 and so on like a tourney. The winner of the 10th game goes on into the playoffs. We have had instances where teams played against each other game 9 and then get seeded and have to play each other again week 10. We play our championship games in St Louis on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. The playoff games are still Wed. Mon, Saturday and Saturday then Championships. Except for Class 6 and 8 man, they play their playoff games on Friday because there is less teams in those classifications.

So what about Northern Iowa. I know it is great to have and use but other states playing this late do not play in a dome.
Where else would it be held? I don't see Iowa or Iowa State giving up Kinnick or JTS for a weekend. That leaves playing at one of the small colleges like Simpson or Central. Can you really imagine doing that?

Missouri plays in the Ed Jones Dome in St. Louis. Nebraska plays at Memorial Stadium. Minnesota plays at the Metrodome. Wisconsin plays at Camp Randall. Illinois plays at Northern Illinois' stadium.

The UNI-Dome is the best venue for it in Iowa, and it's perfectly in line with what other states do. They use a dome when there's one in-state.

You have Drake Stadium. I think Iowa or ISU would love having this there unless they have a home game. Ohio plays 3 games at the Hall of Fame Bowl and 3 games at Massillon HS Stadium (cap of 25,000). They are about 6 miles apart.

At least this year, Nebraska held their championship games on the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Not exactly ideal for the fans, but I guess if your school is out for the whole week that wouldn't affect classes. I'm pretty certain that has to do with availability of Memorial Stadium, too.

In any event, should Iowa go to this 8-game schedule, plans are to have at least 9 games for everybody. Teams that don't qualify for the playoffs would be matched with a team finishing in a similar position in another district - so you wouldn't necessarily know who your opponent would be until after the results of Week 8. So while the playoff teams are playing first-round games, non-qualifiers would still finish up with a ninth game.

And that keeps all the playoff games on Fridays (or Thursdays) with full weeks off in between. Not so terrible, I say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT