ADVERTISEMENT

5A Field - W/L Records vs Other Playoff Qualifiers

SpinningBird

All District
May 29, 2001
Thought this was interesting. Speaks to the dominance of the top 4 teams. Not that we didn't already know that.

Dowling Catholic 6-1
Southeast Polk 6-1
Ankeny 4-1
Pleasant Valley 3-0
Waukee Northwest 3-4
Cedar Falls 2-2
Iowa City High 2-3
Ankeny Centennial 2-4
Johnston 2-3
WDM Valley 1-3
Cedar Rapids Kennedy 1-2
Sioux City East 1-2
Cedar Rapids Prairie 1-3
Linn-Mar 1-3
Davenport West 0-2
Ames 0-3

I think most people on here would pick Ankeny, Dowling or Southeast Polk to win it all this year. But, what kind of chance does PV have? As a school they have been competitive in just about everything on the state level. Just interested to see what the opinion of them is?

Pleasant Valley has some horses on the line. They run the triple option, which is a bit unusual offense for teams to face, I think, and they are very run-heavy. They can throw a little, but they average fewer than 10 passes attempted per game (although when they do throw they catch defenses by surprise, as four receivers with 19 total catches are all averaging over 20 yards per catch).

Defensively they're pretty good, they've only given up as many as 21 points once this season (and they won that game by 30). But, the only game they scored under 35 they nearly lost, when Linn-Mar took them to overtime in a 14-7 final.

Do they have a chance? Sure, if things break right for them, and if they can catch teams unprepared for the triple option. But if Linn-Mar can take them to overtime (a team that lost to Southeast Polk by 3 touchdowns and also lost to an admittedly very strong 4A team in Liberty), my thought would be the Big Three central teams ought to be able to handle PV.

Pleasant Valley has some horses on the line. They run the triple option, which is a bit unusual offense for teams to face, I think, and they are very run-heavy. They can throw a little, but they average fewer than 10 passes attempted per game (although when they do throw they catch defenses by surprise, as four receivers with 19 total catches are all averaging over 20 yards per catch).

Defensively they're pretty good, they've only given up as many as 21 points once this season (and they won that game by 30). But, the only game they scored under 35 they nearly lost, when Linn-Mar took them to overtime in a 14-7 final.

Do they have a chance? Sure, if things break right for them, and if they can catch teams unprepared for the triple option. But if Linn-Mar can take them to overtime (a team that lost to Southeast Polk by 3 touchdowns and also lost to an admittedly very strong 4A team in Liberty), my thought would be the Big Three central teams ought to be able to handle PV.
PV also lost Andrew Depaepe who is no longer on the team. Didn’t know that until today.

PV goes down 15-10 to WDV. The reality is the only “ranked” team they faced was Prairie and it was the first game of the season (difficult to assess much there).

ADVERTISEMENT