ADVERTISEMENT

5A East vs West question

woodsiding

Freshman
Jan 1, 2012
It seems the average size of a coaching staff of the some of the DM suburban schools are much larger than in eastern Iowa. An eastern Iowa 5A program will typically consist of 6-8 varsity, 4 soph, and 4 freshman coaches. My guess is the average staff would be around 10 contracts: ex. 4 contracts on varsity, 3 on soph, and 3 freshman. What is typical for in the CIML? Watching some of the teams on the West and North side of Des Moines, it seems they have 18 coaches on the varsity sideline. Obviously, winning attracts people and you will get a better pool of volunteers. Maybe my perception is really off.

Reactions: Reasoned
No I would say that your observations are correct, I think that this is true at all levels, and a program having success will attract quality people to volunteer their time.

It seems the average size of a coaching staff of the some of the DM suburban schools are much larger than in eastern Iowa. An eastern Iowa 5A program will typically consist of 6-8 varsity, 4 soph, and 4 freshman coaches. My guess is the average staff would be around 10 contracts: ex. 4 contracts on varsity, 3 on soph, and 3 freshman. What is typical for in the CIML? Watching some of the teams on the West and North side of Des Moines, it seems they have 18 coaches on the varsity sideline. Obviously, winning attracts people and you will get a better pool of volunteers. Maybe my perception is really off.
As an example for CIML team - I believe Southeast Polk had 8 coaches for varsity which included one volunteer, and 3-4 each for their soph and frosh teams. However, if you were watching them during the state playoffs, you would have seen all the lower-level coaches on the sidelines "helping out" so it would have looked like there were that many more. Throw in stat people, trainers, etc. and it looks like an army.

Teams look like College-lite programs more than HS teams in the past. Position coaches for every group, technology, and play packages are way above and beyond what it was.

Reactions: JMSBFD
^ That’s certainly the case for “the haves”, not so sure for “the have nots”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT