ADVERTISEMENT

4A Substate Pairings

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Who got the worst draw? Who got the best? Let us know now!

SUBSTATE #1
Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln
Council Bluffs, Thomas Jefferson
Lewis Central
Sioux City, East
Sioux City, North
Sioux City, West

SUBSTATE #2
Ames
Des Moines, North
Dowling Catholic
Fort Dodge
Mason City
Urbandale

SUBSTATE #3
Cedar Falls
Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
Linn-Mar, Marion
Marshalltown
Waterloo, East
Waterloo, West

SUBSTATE #4
Bettendorf
Davenport, Central
Dubuque, Hempstead
Dubuque, Senior
North Scott
Western Dubuque

SUBSTATE #5
Clinton
Davenport, North
Davenport, West
Iowa City, City High
Muscatine
Pleasant Valley

SUBSTATE #6
Burlington
Cedar Rapids, Jefferson
Cedar Rapids, Washington
Iowa City, West
Ottumwa
Prairie, Cedar Rapids

SUBSTATE #7
Ankeny
Ankeny Centennial
Des Moines, Hoover
Des Moines, Lincoln
Newton
Southeast Polk

SUBSTATE #8
Des Moines, East
Des Moines, Roosevelt
Indianola
Johnston
Valley, West Des Moines
Waukee

ICW with a nice draw. AGAIN!

Substate 4 has 4 of the top players in the state.
(McDonnell, Haldeman, Seales and Wilson)
Seems like it wasn't thought out very well.
So, North Scott finally goes out and ramps up their schedule and gets hammered for it.
Hempstead's only loss was without Wilson.

I think Linn Mar and PV also received really nice draws.

As an East fan and MRC supporter, I'm happy to see the MRC was kept together. That being said... I don't understand why basketball is treated so much differently than other major sports. They've kept this substate the same in basketball for 20 years. Baseball changes every year and the only way it stays on I-29 is if there are 2 ranked teams in the MRC for most of the season. In football they went to districts, eliminating the possibility of an automatic MRC qualifier... I realize CBAL is ranked this year and North has 3 players that have played in and won a state tournament game, but even still, I highly question whether or not any of these teams would come out of any other substate... North has been "underachieving" all season, CBAL relies too heavily on a 1-2 punch that are not phenomenal by any stretch... East is definitely down this year... I just don't understand why the I-29 substate is a lock coming in to a basketball season... there seems to be a lack of consistency in the state's methods (shocking I know...)

Originally posted by Ramsfor3:

So, North Scott finally goes out and ramps up their schedule and gets hammered for it.

IC West and PV deserve good draws. Hoover flat out got screwed. Undefeated and they get Centennial in there? They need to split up the MRC substate. If they figured out a way to do it for football districts, one would imagine they can make it work for basketball.

Hempstead, Senior, Western Dubuque, and North Scott... Wow!

PV, Dowling, ICW, and Waukee were basically handed substate titles.

Hoover and Centennial in the same substate will knock a Top 5 team out.

ICW literally has no chance of anyone challenging them. I bet they win by 20+ in each game.

A healthier Dav Central and improving Bettendorf don't make #4 any easier.

Linn Mar, Kennedy, and CF should battle it out.

Dowling might get challenged by Urby.

MRC substate is the weakest. I know the state wants each conference represented, but that seems unfair to the teams that are genuinely better. I am sure someone will come argue I am wrong on that, but the state has made it so my statement can't be proven until the state tournament at which time the teams in harder substates have beaten up on each other.

I really see District 4 being a great battle. Too bad some good teams will be gone after that substate.
This post was edited on 1/19 11:13 AM by speedy240

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:

IC West and PV deserve good draws. Hoover flat out got screwed. Undefeated and they get Centennial in there? They need to split up the MRC substate. If they figured out a way to do it for football districts, one would imagine they can make it work for basketball.
They do it in baseball all the time Luke. The 3 SC Schools go east and include Fort Dodge, Ames and one team from DM. Last year it was Dowling.

The 3 CB schools go east and play what's left in the western part of the DM area in some fashion...

Again... I don't understand why it's different in basketball. Travel precautions because it's winter?...

I'm not sure why they can split up the MRC for the other sports either. Possibly the state wants to have a Mr.Basketball candidate in Tilllo represented at the state tournament? I know Sioux City has had some talented teams and numerous division 1 players, but north and east are the only two teams that EVER make it to the state tournament from that district.

We sort of already knew that some Des Moines area schools would get the proverbial pickle because there are just too many good teams clustered in a small geographic area of high population density, but the really horrible district is #4-- and another D1 player in there is Marlon Stewart. But-- which team do you move and where do they go? Well, obviously to Substate 6 with Iowa City West. So, which team is the sacrificial lamb that gets to be eliminated by West? Think about it. If I were Hempstead or North Scott or Western Dubuque or Senior, I'd really rather take my chances in that "mini" state tournament that is Substate 4 and figure that I at least have a chance, rather than to go up against West. If one of those four teams would get moved to Substate 3, then you have Linn-Mar and CR Kennedy waiting, and if there are two hungrier, more ornery teams, I can't think of them. I guess one thing is guaranteed in this year's tourney-- there will be some mighty big "upsets" in 4A early on. Right now, but things can certainly change, I'd put my money with Hempstead in Substate 4. Lastly--I mean, IC West's substate is ridiculous. Is there any top four team in Substate 4 that hasn't trounced every team in Substate 6 not named West?

Max's 4A Substates:

SUBSTATE #1
Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln
Council Bluffs, Thomas Jefferson
Lewis Central
Sioux City, East
Des Moines North
WDM Dowling

SUBSTATE #2
Ames
Mason City
Sioux City West
Fort Dodge
Sioux City North
Des Moines Hoover

SUBSTATE #3
Cedar Falls
Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
Dubuque Senior
Marshalltown
Western Dubuque
Waterloo, West

SUBSTATE #4
Bettendorf
Davenport, Central
Dubuque, Hempstead
Clinton
North Scott
Waterloo East

SUBSTATE #5
Cedar Rapids Jefferson
Davenport, North
Davenport, West
Iowa City, City High
Linn Mar
Pleasant Valley

SUBSTATE #6
Burlington
Muscatine
Cedar Rapids, Washington
Iowa City, West
Ottumwa
Prairie, Cedar Rapids

SUBSTATE #7
Ankeny
Ankeny Centennial
Urbandale
Des Moines, Lincoln
Newton
Southeast Polk

SUBSTATE #8
Des Moines, East
Des Moines, Roosevelt
Indianola
Johnston
Valley, West Des Moines
Waukee

I dont disagree with this Max, but outside of football the state never splits up SC from SC or CB from CB schools. Is it possible to balance it and keep SC with SC and CB with CB?

If the state was willing to do this for baseball they would have done it in 09 when East and North were ranked 1 & 2 at one time and both in top 5 at years end still.

CR Wash to Burlington to Ottumwa covers a lot of territory. IC West is at the center geographically. Given the teams in the surrounding districts, please paint another scenario that would make more sense or be less unfair to others who tire of their success because of the red carpet you speak of. They will remain ranked #1 until someone beats them and then they will continue to play tough after that until they win it all again or are eliminated. They are not unbeatable but will be a strong challenge for anyone no matter where you put them. Do you think they are wiping their brows in relief that they were put in that district? Do you think they wouldn't be ready for a stronger bracket? I know it's tough on the neck when you have to look up for so long but nobody is getting a free pass, not even them but I think their expectations are higher than just qualifying for the state tournament. How many games do you think West will host? Do you know their home court record over the last 4 years? It doesn't matter who's in their bracket.

Ottumwa, Mason City, Burlington, and somewhat Muscatine/Marshalltown are outliers compared to the rest of 4A.

Anybody have any updates on Wilson? There's a lot of rumors floating around Dubuque county on this topic with West Dubuque and Dubuque senior in their substate. Telegraph herald printed he was arrested for a no contact order violation on the girl he assaulted and got a 6 game suspension. That seems pretty light for a 2nd code of conduct violation. Anyone have any info on when he's playing or if coach will play him? Hempstead will be a tough out with him back in the line up.

What I think a lot of people don't get is why Wilson is able to be back on the court with so many violations and wonder how many chances does the school district and coach give him?. And we all know there is probably more to the story then what is rumored and rules have to be enforced and guidelines followed, I think most people are old school and think back years ago when a athlete was dismissed from a team for minor violations and now these days schools and colleges have to deal with such more. We are up against an entirely different type of beast that deals with so many different ways people treat each other in the worst ways. To be on a team of any sport it is a privilege and honor. What is being taught to our society and especially the younger generation?
This post was edited on 2/16 7:02 PM by speedy240

FYI - Wilson was arrested AGAIN last Thursday for violating the order of protection yet again. He is off the team for good. Good luck to the rest of the Hempstead Mustangs!

Originally posted by Crissyluvsbasketball:

FYI - Wilson was arrested AGAIN last Thursday for violating the order of protection yet again. He is off the team for good. Good luck to the rest of the Hempstead Mustangs!
I don't understand how this was allowed to go on this long. His issues began in May of 2014... He has since had at least 4 violations of the protective order. 3 of which have come in the last 2 months. He is basically in court 2-3 times per week now.

Someone should have stepped up and tried to help this kid during last summer when the first incident occur. Obviously, if anyone is helping him they have done an awful job. It seems as though things are getting worse by the day for him. This is an incident in which if he was not a basketball star we wouldn't hear a single thing about it. It is something that get lost in our society. I am only 25 years old and I think it is much worse than it was just 6-8 years ago. Kids are going to make mistakes. Some learn while others continue to build on those mistakes. The problem is a large portion of the ones that keep building either have no guidance or the people guiding them are people who kept building on mistakes and never were taught to better themselves. Maybe he will turn things around, but at this point it seems he is heading down the repeated criminal path.

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:

Hoover's draw may not be so bad after Jay Schon gets injured last week.....
uzi.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT