ADVERTISEMENT

4A schedule and districts info 2020-21

CF_93

Varsity
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Well, the boys in Boone got together today. And the word of the day sounds like no news for the moment in regards to football for the next two years.
Per IAHSAA.org

"Football announcements on hold

The biennial release of football classifications, districts, and schedules is being delayed from its usual January drop. The Board of Control spent time Thursday discussing the football advisory committee’s recommendations from last month regarding the number of regular season games and playoff qualifiers, as well as ideas shared in a meeting of Class 4A athletic directors at the IHSAA offices on January 16.
The board previously considered and tabled a playoff and scheduling recommendation from the advisory committee and Iowa Football Coaches Association – eight regular season games and 32 playoff qualifiers per class, not including Class 4A – and did not vote on the topic Thursday.
In working with the IHSAA’s Classification Committee and Class 4A athletic directors, executive director Tom Keating and assistant director Jared Chizek shared with the board possible scheduling models to address competitive equity concerns. The IHSAA will seek feedback on the models, and the Board of Control set February 5 as the deadline date for an IHSAA recommendation regarding football districts."

In other words, it sounds to me like the decision to drop from 48 to 42 schools fell into the rule of unintended consequences, and rather than increase the level of parity and competitive balance as had been intended, it created an even greater disparity. So I would imagine they're still deciding on how many teams should be assigned to 4A for the next 2 years, before they can go ahead and announce the new district assignments.

Better to push the decision back a little than to just slap something together to meet a self-imposed deadline and end up stuck with it for 2 years.

So the IAHSAA have released the new district assignments, which in 4A only, they are now called groups. They’re still districts in 3A and below. Class 4A will be dropping from 42 to 40 teams. And it looks as though the state has decided to keep the 16-team playoff format for all classes for the time being. It’s interesting to note that starting in 2020, in 4A only, all 16 of those playoff teams will be at large. Which leads me to wonder why the grouping in the first place? Iowa City Liberty becomes a full 4A member in football as of 2020, while Waukee Northwest will in 2021. Burlington, Des Moines Hoover, and Mason City all drop to 3A. Below are the groupings for 2020:

GROUP 1
1 Dowling Catholic, W.D.M.
2 Urbandale
3 Fort Dodge
4 Des Moines, Roosevelt
5 Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln
6 Sioux City, North
GROUP 2
1 Ankeny Centennial
3 Iowa City, Liberty
4 Ames
5 Marshalltown
6 Des Moines, East
GROUP 3
1 Valley, W.D.M.
2 Ankeny
3 Indianola
4 Sioux City, East
5 Council Bluffs, Thomas Jefferson
6 Sioux City, West
GROUP 4
1 Iowa City, West
2 Southeast Polk
3 Cedar Rapids, Washington
4 Iowa City, City High
5 Des Moines, Lincoln
6 Des Moines, North

GROUP 5
1 Cedar Falls
2 Prairie, Cedar Rapids
3 Dubuque, Senior
4 Davenport, Central
5 Dubuque, Hempstead
6 Davenport, West
GROUP 6
1 Waukee
2 Johnston
3 Linn-Mar, Marion
4 Waterloo, West
5 Cedar Rapids, Jefferson
GROUP 7
1 Bettendorf
2 Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
3 Pleasant Valley
4 Muscatine
5 Davenport, North
6 Ottumwa

Furthermore, Class 4A is going to be using a “Success model” for scheduling.

CLASS 4A SUCCESS MODEL SCHEDULE
  • The new success model used for Class 4A was designed with the intent of adding competitive games to regular season scheduling of the large-school class. It measures a program’s last four years of football through: a) Ratings Percentage Index; b) Playoff Success.
  • The results of that model are available HERE.
    • The model used ranking within the RPI and ranking of “points” in playoff success (5 for championship, 4 for runner-up, 3 for semifinal appearance, 2 for quarterfinal appearance, and 1 for playoff appearance).
  • Teams are tiered by their ranking within the model. Tier 1 is teams ranked #1-7, Tier 2 is teams ranked #8-13, Tier 3 is teams ranked #14-20, Tier 4 is teams ranked #21-27, Tier 5is teams ranked #28-34, and Tier 6 is teams ranked #35-40.
  • Every group contains a team from within each tier. Group schedules are designed for teams to play similarly tiered teams. Unlike district play, group play is not round robin. Group contests are as follows…
    • Tier 1: Plays Tiers 2, 3, and 4.
    • Tier 2: Plays 1, 3, and 5.
    • Tier 3: Plays 1, 2, and 6.
    • Tier 4: Plays 1, 5, and 6.
    • Tier 5: Plays 2, 4, and 6.
    • Tier 6: Plays 3, 4, and 5.
  • In addition to group games arranged by tiers, Class 4A teams will play two “assigned games” against teams from similar tiers of other groups. Teams from Tiers 1 and 2 are together, Tiers 3 and 4 are together, and Tiers 5 and 6 are together.
  • Two groups have five teams instead of six with the model omitting one Tier 2 and one Tier 6 team. Assigned games due to the schedule gap have been added from approved tiers.
  • The five total group and assigned games may not be scheduled consecutively as they are in district play.
  • In the group format, there are no district champions or group champions. All 16 playoff qualifying spots will be considered at-large through RPI.
  • Through BEDS numbers, one school has been added to 40-team field in Class 4A: Iowa City, Liberty.
    • Iowa City, Liberty was a playoff qualifier in Class 3A and joins Tier 3.
    • Waukee Northwest will begin 4A varsity play in 2021.

Last edited:
I think the grouping is just to help ensure that its easier to have schedules filled with what is being considerable as a competitively appropriate schedule. If the whole thing just opened up with no district or conference considerations, it could be difficult for some schools, especially geographically isolated ones, to create a schedule. Now everyone just needs to fill four dates.

With a one-year cycle, how do they decide who gets 5 home gates and who only gets 4?

I'm sure we'll find out more next month when they release the full schedules.

The obvious pro's to this is more competitive scheduling, which is certainly a good thing.
But there are two potential con's to this. 1. Possibly increased travel due to decreased scheduling flexibility. And 2. The breaking up of historic rivalries if they continue with this going forward. For example, if City High were to be reevaluated in a few years, and they drop to a tier 5, they wouldn't be able to play Iowa City West (tier 1) for the Battle of the Boot, because tier 1 can supposedly only play tiers 2, 3, and 4.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t schools have some flexibility in scheduling rivalry games with their 4 “non-group” games?

Last edited:
Reactions: paxregis
I'm sure we'll find out more next month when they release the full schedules.

The obvious pro's to this is more competitive scheduling, which is certainly a good thing.
But there are two potential con's to this. 1. Possibly increased travel due to decreased scheduling flexibility. And 2. The breaking up of historic rivalries if they continue with this going forward. For example, if City High were to be reevaluated in a few years, and they drop to a tier 5, they wouldn't be able to play Iowa City West (tier 1) for the Battle of the Boot, because tier 1 can supposedly only play tiers 2, 3, and 4.
They could still schedule one another as one of the other four games. And West won't remain tier 1 for much longer. The power is shifting to Liberty.

Will this really have any impact on the playoff blowouts? That will still be an issue. You may have teams with better regular seasons, but really only 4-5 teams still have a realistic shot at the state title. That won't change.

Will this really have any impact on the playoff blowouts? That will still be an issue. You may have teams with better regular seasons, but really only 4-5 teams still have a realistic shot at the state title. That won't change.

Not one bit, as I see it, instead of 1-8 teams at the end of the season you may see 2-7 or 3-6. There also may be fewer 9-0 or 8-1 but currently there are a whole lot fewer truly top tier teams than not. I see no impact with respect to the PO’s.

Reactions: franky1967
I see this measure by the IHSAA as a way to stop the falling participation numbers in the 4A schools in the metro schools other than Cedar Rapids and the "isolated geographic" 4A high schools. The schools that fell to 3A numbers may not be more competitive but may be assured of better travel costs and shorter road trips. It will be interesting what they plan to do in 2021. I think 4A football in Iowa has evolved into a 32 team class maximum.

I see this measure by the IHSAA as a way to stop the falling participation numbers in the 4A schools in the metro schools other than Cedar Rapids and the "isolated geographic" 4A high schools. The schools that fell to 3A numbers may not be more competitive but may be assured of better travel costs and shorter road trips. It will be interesting what they plan to do in 2021. I think 4A football in Iowa has evolved into a 32 team class maximum.

Falling participation numbers may have originally been part of the reason but I don’t see this doing a thing for that. The reality of the situation is there’s still going to be only a half a dozen...or more truly competitive programs year in and out in 4A...period.

This may or may not be a reason to stop declining numbers. I don't think it will have an impact. All these experiments are just a waste of time.

No more District Champs, so are you a Group Champ, nothing but stupidity

This may or may not be a reason to stop declining numbers. I don't think it will have an impact. All these experiments are just a waste of time.

No more District Champs, so are you a Group Champ, nothing but stupidity

No. All 16 playoff teams in 4A will be selected at-large based on RPI.

Reactions: hawxs22
No. All 16 playoff teams in 4A will be selected at-large based on RPI.

I read that also, so I don’t recall from memory when the RPI was originally discussed but for purposes of calculations how are games vs lower class teams weighted and what about out of state games?

The question will be in "non group games games" do you schedule for success? Or do you play teams to insure you make the playoffs with the Rpi bump?

I read that also, so I don’t recall from memory when the RPI was originally discussed but for purposes of calculations how are games vs lower class teams weighted and what about out of state games?
As far as lower class games go, that will be counted the same as before. They were not counted any differently than playing any other 4A team. As for out-of-state games, when calculating RPI, they count the record of any out-of-state teams you play, but not opponents opponents record. Technically, they count opponents opponents record for out-of-state teams as .500.

So are you saying all "The Group" Champions are automatic just like last year when all "The District" champions were?

There’s no “group” champions. There’s no guarantee each team will play all of the other teams in their respective groups. It’s just a tool to help teams schedule with a little greater parity, and grouped together geographically to an extent.

So...in looking at this further a Tier 1 team has 2,3 & 4 Tiered teams in their group to play, plus two “arranged” Tier 1 teams in their 5 scheduled games. You have to believe trying to schedule 4 Patsies to get 4 for sure wins would be preferable in RPI...assuming you could find them. Having never done the calculation, is a win over a 2-7 team better than a loss to a 7-2 team?

Last edited:
So...in looking at this further a Tier 1 team has 2,3 & 4 Tiered teams in their group to play, plus two “arranged” Tier 1 teams in their 5 scheduled games. You have to believe trying to schedule 4 Patsies to get 4 for sure wins would be preferable in RPI...assuming you could find them. Having never done the calculation, is a win over a 2-7 team better than a loss to a 7-2 team?
I don't think you'll see tier 1 teams scheduling four low-tier teams, and I don't know why the low tier teams would want to do that to themselves. But it does make the idea of scheduling four other tier 1-3 opponents seem pretty physically challenging. Being from the north of Ankeny, Centennial plays IC Liberty, Ames, Johnston, Dowling, and Valley. They will also surely play Ankeny, who will be a top 10 team. Centennial's number in next year's senior and junior classes are down with little depth up front. If they also schedule teams like Waukee and SE Polk, they will be running out of healthy bodies by mid-season. It's probably smarter to play middle-tier teams like Indianola, Fort Dodge, and Roosevelt that are pretty good but won't grind you up the same way as higher tier teams.

There’s no “group” champions. There’s no guarantee each team will play all of the other teams in their respective groups. It’s just a tool to help teams schedule with a little greater parity, and grouped together geographically to an extent.
I get it now, the group you are in is not part of the schedule and the schedules have yet to be determined. I looked at the sheet and seen Bettendorf and Kennedy listed by Cedar Falls. You are saying they don't have to schedule them if they do not want to?

I get it now, the group you are in is not part of the schedule and the schedules have yet to be determined. I looked at the sheet and seen Bettendorf and Kennedy listed by Cedar Falls. You are saying they don't have to schedule them if they do not want to?

Right. The full schedules will be released next month.

It is a shame that after 120yrs of football there will be no district/ conference champ. I'm also assuming that will eliminate All District Teams.

Many of things will end because of this, they still could have kept districts. If you really wanted parity, they should have went to a 4yr cycle or back to conference play and kept the same conferences for maybe even longer.. still had non conference games.

Hey, they could have All “Group” Teams..could just call them groupies... or maybe those are the fans.

Right. The full schedules will be released next month.

I got the impression the “Group” schedule (minus location) has been done, this would be the three “group” games (by tiers) and two “assigned” games (with teams outside of group but similar tier), now the AD’s are looking to add the four additional games (which will have no tier or group considerations) ...but again, I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Read article where Des Moines area high schools are 0-120 or 0-121 against suburban DM schools since 2009...if you throw in CB and SC schools plus isolated 4A towns against that group there can't be a lot of wins against them...something has to give on the schedules. If the same teams are in the playoffs why not create the 16 team super class where they all qualify.. Keeps the gate receipts high too.

Read article where Des Moines area high schools are 0-120 or 0-121 against suburban DM schools since 2009...if you throw in CB and SC schools plus isolated 4A towns against that group there can't be a lot of wins against them...something has to give on the schedules. If the same teams are in the playoffs why not create the 16 team super class where they all qualify.. Keeps the gate receipts high too.
Actually Lewis Central/Council Bluffs was more than competitive and beat a number of D.M Suburban schools during a span from the football seasons 2014 thru 2018. Teams they beat throughout those years (some multiple times) were Johnston, Urbandale, Ankeny, Indianola and Valley.

I would like to see a hybrid type of system. Make a 5A class, but have 5A and 4A still schedule regular season games against each other to keep travel down and make sure everyone has 9 games. 5A could be maybe top 16 or 24 teams. Then, have 5A and 4A separate for playoffs. Fixing the regular season competitiveness is only half the problem. Playoffs need to be fixed as well. Lots of teams have had 8-1, 7-2, 6-3 regular seasons over the past 10-15 years, but have never won a playoff game. All the "group" format does is give teams a chance to win more regular season games. Still only have 3 or 4 teams in 4A that can win consistently in playoffs.

Lewis Central is not a CB Pubic school they would be the suburb school of the Council Bluffs area, much better socioeconomically.

I would like to see a hybrid type of system. Make a 5A class, but have 5A and 4A still schedule regular season games against each other to keep travel down and make sure everyone has 9 games. 5A could be maybe top 16 or 24 teams. Then, have 5A and 4A separate for playoffs. Fixing the regular season competitiveness is only half the problem. Playoffs need to be fixed as well. Lots of teams have had 8-1, 7-2, 6-3 regular seasons over the past 10-15 years, but have never won a playoff game. All the "group" format does is give teams a chance to win more regular season games. Still only have 3 or 4 teams in 4A that can win consistently in playoffs.

I agree with this as well

They do just that in the state I live in 32 team 6a division where large teams qualify so gates are high..they play 10 games including district games and play 5a and even 4a opponents..non district...is no big deal

On the IHSAA page discussing classifications and whatnot, they say they plan to release the schedules “in March.” That’s as specific as they get. One school assigned to Class A is appealing to try to stay in 8-player, so they can’t finish schedules until that appeal is decided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT