Varsity
Sep 27, 2002
Friday, November 7

Waukee 12, West Des Moines Valley 0 - F
West Des Moines Dowling 48, Ankeny 14 - F

Cedar Rapids Washington 44, Iowa City West 19 - F
Bettendorf 23, North Scott 3 - F
This post was edited on 11/7 11:00 PM by screwloose

CRW had disruption at school today as CR police converged on the school in response to a threat of violence from an anonymous account.

Lots of students leaving school. Potential distraction for Warriors.

I don't think it would be tied to the athletic contest, but might be a "copycat" from Ames/Des Moines East episode, but that is speculation, without any factual basis.

Per Iowa Athletic Association policy the disruption/threat of disruption at CR Washington means the game with Iowa City West is a forfeit and Iowa City West wins.

Waukee holds on for a 12-0 win. Obviously the biggest win in program history.

Left game...
Bettendorf 17 North Scott 3

As a neutral fan... I have some comments.

#1 Bettendorf was the better team.
#2 Bettendorf made mistakes that should have had the game at 10-9 at half.
- Kickoff Out of Bounds to start the game. North Scott got to 24 yard line of Bettendorf and decided to go for it on 4th and long... The kicker kicked from the 35 yard line with ease in warm ups... Why not kick the FG?
- North Scott scored a FG on a drive that started with a nice punt return.
- With 49 seconds till half. NS punts to the Bettendorf 15 or so. Bettendorf rather than kneeling a few times and going into half at 10-3 decided to run the ball. Run off the right side is fumbled and recovered by NS. At Bettendorf 20 or so. With 1 timeout remaining I figure NS would run it so they could line up for a FG before half. Instead, they pass to the middle of the end zone with an offense that has struggled all game and it gets picked. Inevitably score is 10-3 at half.
- Third Quarter was a disaster. Bettendorf punts on opening drive. North Scott drive they fumble midfield and Bettendorf fumbles after returning the NS fumble so NS gets it back with 1st down. Few plays later NS fumbles it at the Bettendorf 35-40 yard line.
-Bettendorf runs a few plays and on 3rd and long they throw deep... I don't usually get real worked up by bad calls, but if I was coaching I get tossed from that game... The pass is about 35 yards down field and underthrown by 10 yards(5 yard behind WR and consider extra 5 yards if you lead the WR). The defender has a hand on the WR to locate him as he prepares to go for it. The WR oblivious to the short pass keeps running and thus the defenders hand to locate him fully extends. WR doesn't flail as if he was pushed or anything. The defender intercepts the pass and returns it 5-10 yards. The Referee threw a flag for pass interference. Bettendorf not only gets the ball back and 10 yards but a new set of downs after NS defense did a great job of getting themselves off the field. This was the "popping of the balloon" on the NS sideline. Bettendorf then works the field for the remaining 50 yards or so to go up 17-3 early 4th quarter... I left after that.

Like I said. I was a non-bias fan watching that game. That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen and it cost NS any chance to tie up or win the game.

PS- The MAC is way done this year because other than O'Connor(sp?) at RB they are not a very impressive team.

I listed to Bettendorf - NS game on the radio. The announcers were saying what a horrible pass interference call that was, as well. In fact, they were saying it was clearly an offensive pass interference. A close game went very one side after that. A clear momentum changer. Having said that, it did seem like Bettendorf controlled the ball better.

Maybe Bettendorf should forfeit in the semifinals then, obviously they suck, and I say that as a bias fan!!!!!
This post was edited on 11/7 10:26 PM by thrawn_42

Originally posted by thrawn_42:

Maybe Bettendorf should forfeit in the semifinals then, obviously they suck, and I say that as a bias fan!!!!!

This post was edited on 11/7 10:26 PM by thrawn_42

Best scenario is NS ties that game. Bettendorf moved the ball better all game except the first 8 minutes. However, with the momentum NS would have had who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT