ADVERTISEMENT

3A

Feb 21, 2012
Any thoughts on class 3A regionals coming up? Who are some favorites and maybe some darkhorses to make some noise?

As for the eastern portion of the state, I cant see anyone taking down Assumption for region 5, and I think Mediapolis will win region 6. In region 4 I think Cascade will beat the winner of the Waukon-Crestwood game. Before the brackets came out I thought CPU would have a good chance and probably be the only Wamac team from 3A to make it, but I dont see them beating Assumption. The Wamac may end up with only one team making the tournament out of both 3A and 4A.
This post was edited on 2/7 5:30 PM by coach'd

Region #1 MOC-easily
Region #2 Spirit Lake-plays in a loaded conference-could potentially have 3 team in state tourney from Lakes Conference. Hull Western Christian-ELC and Spirit Lake.
Region #3 ELC-seasoned team 2011 state runner up-2012 qualifier lost by 2 to state champs HWC in first round
Region #4 Waukon-only cause I know nothing about this region-WOW tough region there will likely be an upset.
Region #5 Davenport Assumption-don't know if anyone is capable of beating them in 3A
Region #6 Mediapolis
Region #7 Bondurant-Farrar
Region #8 North Polk

I did take a lot of my information off of BC Moore and there were some teams that must have been labeled under a different name so I did the best I could. Let the road to "The Well" begin,as they say you never know what will happen in tournament time.

Dont know much bout the rest of the state but in NW this is how i see the regions.

1. MOC-FV: should be relatively easy
2. Spirit Lake: Unity might challenge. should make it as long as Veldman is and can stay healthy
3. ELC: Not as deep as in years past but still lots of talent

I thought the same thing with region 4 luvgirlshoops, you have 4 teams ranked in the top 15, and I have seen Cascade play and they looked fairly good, so I went with them.

Coach'd, How does Cascade look, I know they are ranked 4th in the last rankings by the Union but I have not seen them. Sometimes stats can be deceiving but I see they only shoot 36 percent as a team. I have seen Waukon a few times this year and Daneshia Snitker is very good, not a great shooter but very athletic and Alyssa Collins is a good post but inconsistent this year from what I can tell. New Hampton and Crestwood are also good teams in this region as well. It should be fun to see who makes it to state this year.

Originally posted by Waukon88:
Coach'd, How does Cascade look, I know they are ranked 4th in the last rankings by the Union but I have not seen them. Sometimes stats can be deceiving but I see they only shoot 36 percent as a team. I have seen Waukon a few times this year and Daneshia Snitker is very good, not a great shooter but very athletic and Alyssa Collins is a good post but inconsistent this year from what I can tell. New Hampton and Crestwood are also good teams in this region as well. It should be fun to see who makes it to state this year.
I saw the Anamosa game, and while Anamosa isnt extremely talented, Cascade seemed to me to work on their game instead of running up a higher score. Cascade shot pretty well that night. They arent extremely tall, but very well rounded. I like the way the coach rotated in about a dozen players that night, which I think is rare these days, even with lopsided wins. Maybe no high caliber players, its hard to tell with just one game, but overall very capable team.

Very surprising loss by Mediapolis to Williamsburg. Up by 16 at the half, lost in OT.

Hopefully Estherville gets to play Spirit Lake at state. The games are always great when these two rivals play each other.

Not knowing much about 3A I will get it started and say Assumption vs. MOC Floyd Valley. I know Spirit lake is tough, but I heard they had a late season injury that could come into play at state. I saw ELC early in the year- certainly a quality team but little depth- they do have the experience edge though- those starters have played a lot of ball at the Well.

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens on the bottom side of the bracket. Once again conference rivalries start out against each other at the tournament.

This post was edited on 2/17 8:45 PM by luvgirlshoops

Estherville avenges an early-season loss to MOC-Floyd Valley in the state semi-finals, 49-46. They will face Davenport Assumption in the finals.

It's been a tough week to keep my mouth shut, the entire week the newspapers and teams have all been talking about the rematch of Davenport Assumption and MOC. Always fun to lay in the weeds and be the underdog !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT