ADVERTISEMENT

3a

bigfridaynite

Varsity
Sep 8, 2007
I see DCG is the top seed are they the team to beat or is their someone else out there?

Looks like they have some very good pitchers but i don't know anything about that part of the state.

They do everything well. But they will have the pressure of a long win streak heading into state...let's see if that affects them.

DCG does have many things going for them:

Good pitching

Good batting

Well coached

Strong schedule including the playoffs (only losses were to 2 good 4A schools)

20 game win streak

Excellent fan base (being so close to Principal Park)

Top seeding

DCG's athletics have been slightly below expectations this year and here is their opportunity to make that all forgotten.

They will be highly motivated and a very hard out.

Looking at the results from the last 10 yrs. The no.1 seed has won in a blowout almost every time.Do most no.1 seeds save there no.1 pitcher or do they throw them 1st game?

I think it would be crazy to hold back your number one with the schedule format. If they dont throw game one then the coach has to choose if they throw game 2 or save for the championship game. If they use number 1 on Tuesday they will be ready to go for the championship game. If I am coaching I throw him game one and hopefully build some confidence for my team to get through the next round and bring him back for the Championship game.

Big Friday, lots of good discussion throughout the season... best of luck in Des Moines!

Originally posted by ghost80:

Good pitching

Good batting

Well coached

20 game win streak

Top seeding

DCG's athletics have been slightly below expectations this year and here is their opportunity to make that all forgotten.

Well, they were down 6-1 to Heelan in a game that called because of either darkness or weather (IIRC), and not made up.

Some really good games yesterday.I'll say this class is wide open these teams all seem to be really equal that are left.

Have to give a shout out to Washington they played a great game when you out pitch and out hit the No.1 team in the state.You gave yourself a real chance.Just can't get pick off 3x dang it.

Originally posted by cruhawk:

Good pitching

Good batting

Well coached

20 game win streak

Top seeding

Well, they were down 6-1 to Heelan in a game that called because of either darkness or weather (IIRC), and not made up.
Well, Heelan is down 6-1 to a Decorah team that finished third in their conference.

i don,t like iowa,s playoff system.....at state, i believe it should be double elimination,,,,,,lose one, and its over, not a good measure of ones team.

This post was edited on 7/28 6:58 AM by ronsss

Originally posted by smallcenter:

Originally posted by cruhawk:

Good pitching

Good batting

Well coached

20 game win streak

Top seeding

Well, Heelan is down 6-1 to a Decorah team that finished third in their conference.
Proof positive that it isn't always the best team that wins, but the hottest. That being said, I'd be all for a double-elim set-up. Heelan could easily have lost to ADM with Rash pitching (an outcome that was far more likely than them losing to Decorah, a team that was weaker than a number of others that Heelan had beaten over the course of the season). All it takes is one really good pitcher, and anyone has a chance to win one game. As it turned out, they beat Rash, but apparently forgot about Decorah...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT