ADVERTISEMENT

3A - WIDE Open

In another thread today I predicted a Xavier victory. I don't care what they are ranked, or not ranked, they'll battle for the 3A championship (if they get out of their substate.) I think Xavier has the best perimeter game in 3A with five shooters. Wahlert could re-group, but sometime in the next two weeks they have to figure out how not to let their opponents roll up 70, 78 and 82 points. They may have a daunting offensive front court, but they have not proved they can guard teams with good outside shooters. When the BC Moore ratings come out, look at Wahlert's defensive rating. It's near the bottom of all of 3A. Good defense wins games and poor defense gets embarrassing.

Luke is right. It's definitely WIDE Open, with (I think) Waverly, Pella, Xavier, and maybe Ft. Madison in the lead-- if they make it in. Waverly and Pella, especially, are great defensive teams. When things are this WIDE Open, the team that can limit their turnovers and play great defense will usually win. Should be fun!

Originally posted by EastIowaHawk:
In another thread today I predicted a Xavier victory. I don't care what they are ranked, or not ranked, they'll battle for the 3A championship (if they get out of their substate.) I think Xavier has the best perimeter game in 3A with five shooters. Wahlert could re-group, but sometime in the next two weeks they have to figure out how not to let their opponents roll up 70, 78 and 82 points. They may have a daunting offensive front court, but they have not proved they can guard teams with good outside shooters. When the BC Moore ratings come out, look at Wahlert's defensive rating. It's near the bottom of all of 3A. Good defense wins games and poor defense gets embarrassing.

Luke is right. It's definitely WIDE Open, with (I think) Waverly, Pella, Xavier, and maybe Ft. Madison in the lead-- if they make it in. Waverly and Pella, especially, are great defensive teams. When things are this WIDE Open, the team that can limit their turnovers and play great defense will usually win. Should be fun!
Pella scored 95+ in 3 straight games... I think offense might be the strength. lol

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

Originally posted by EastIowaHawk:

Pella scored 95+ in 3 straight games... I think offense might be the strength. lol

Yeah, I'm gonna second this. Pella is all about offense, not defense!

I still consider Wahlert favorites, they'll get it done in the postseason.

All good points, but Pella gets a lot of points because they press the whole game and get tons of layups off steals- a lot like IC West does. They score a lot of points but they also can really hold down another team. I guess these are all different ways of complimenting Pella. Of course they are also offensive-minded, with their athleticism. Good defensive teams can also be good on offense.

Originally posted by Earvin32:
Xavier-Assumption clash on the horizon...who wins?
They met once already for the first game after winter break. Assumption trailed 30-11 at half. Assumption ended up losing by 10 in the game. They have been playing much better offensively lately. Xavier had an extremely good FT shooting game. Assumption had its worst shooting game of the season going 21-61. Assumption had 17 more shot attempts than Xavier and outrebounded them by 6 even with 40 missed shots. The game would be in Cedar Rapids if they meet, which would be a Xavier advantage. I do think that it will be a very good match up if it happens, but both teams are not going to have an easy road to substate. They need to take 1 game at a time.

I would agree that the 3A race seems very wide open. Is hard to say who will end up king of the mountain. Depends on who stays healthy, who hits their stride at the right time. I still think the big boys (Wahlert, Assumption, Xavier) are right up there. WSR, Pella, Fort Madison, LeMars all have had very solid seasons and could go on a run. So many variables when you are talking about 15-18 year old boys.

Is Wahlert till proven otherwise. Some tough substates to grind out though before we even talk state tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT