ADVERTISEMENT

3A Tourney Games, Feb. 27- Scores and Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
3A field gets chopped down to the final 16 tonight. Games get much tougher. Post your scores and comments. Any predictions/ Think there could be any upsets?

Last edited:
I'll be reporting on 3A District 4, which has a couple of good games, although you can say that for just about all the District final matchups. I hope everybody who cares and is watching and listening will chip in with their team's game updates. There could be a lot of upsets tonight, and even more the next time tonight's winners meet. The home court, which teams earned because of their seeding and performances, will give the home team about a ten-point head start. Can the lower seed overcome that? I hope teams are healthy, with the (regular) flu going around in Iowa.

The 3A game at DeWitt Central will match up two teams that have played for, or won, the 3A state championship in the past few years. Host DeWitt Central is a very steady team that plays good defense, and is well-coached. CR Xavier is the #9 BC Moore 3A power team and has some outstanding playmakers. Center Jaylon Moses, whose father starred at Iowa a generation ago, got off to a rough start with injuries his first two years at Xavier, but is starting to put up some decent offensive stats in addition to his rebounding at 6-8. I'll be surprised if Xavier loses, but we'll see.

Three of the top guards in eastern Iowa are playing in the Mt. Vernon- Dubuque Wahlert match. Cael Schmitt and Jake Schockemoehl of Wahlert are both averaging over 20 a game, since Schmitt returned from a back injury, and Mt. Vernon's Keaton Kutcher, only a junior, is a dangerous playmaker, three-year starter and high scorer. He led Mt. Vernon to victory the last time these teams met in 2018 in the districts. I expect top-ranked Mt.Vernon to win. Because of injury and illness, Wahlert, the #7 BC Moore power team in 3A, has had a different starting lineup eleven times this year.

Last edited:
Half- Mt. Vernon 28, Dubuque Wahlert 26
3Q- Mt. Vernon 53- Wahlert 39
Tied- Less than a minute to go after incredible Wahlert rally in the 4th.
Wahlert led with one second to go and a MV deep reserve tips in a missed free throw at the buzzer. Mount Vernon wins 66-65. Wow. MV goes to 21-2. Schmitt 26 for Wahlert. Wahlert's last three games determined on buzzer sounding shots by one point.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtk913
Finals from northwest Iowa - the top two seeds in district 1 go down, each at home, to MRAC schools.

(13-10) Sergeant Bluff-Luton 50 3A-#4 (19-4) Carroll 39
(15-9) Le Mars 67 3A-#8 (19-4) MOC-FV 61

In a night of upsets and near-upsets, more 3A results:

Davenport Assumption 64, MT Pleasant 56
Ballard 73, Algona 71 in OT
Center Point-Urbana 70, Decorah 58
DeWitt Central 69, CR Xavier 52
Clear Creek Amana 76, Keokuk 60
Clear Lake 70, IFA 39
Dallas Center-Grimes 61, ADM 53
Marion 56, Waverly 43
Norwalk 86, Nevada 59
Oskaloosa 70, Bondurant-Farrar 58
Pella 77, Grinnell 60

Wow and my goodness-- an awful lot of ranked and big-name dark horse teams went down tonight. Will take me awhile to process that with Gilbert already out, we have now lost Xavier, Algona, Wavery, Wahlert, MOC, Carroll, Bondurant- Farrar, Glenwood, ADM, and Winterset. That's ten or eleven teams that many (well, at least this poster) thought had a good chance of making state, with a little luck. And there is another big round before the final eight are determined for the state tournament. The state tournament may have a very different look than predicted this year. Norwalk and the Central Iowa Little Hawkeye Conference have to feel warm and fuzzy tonight, and the eastern Iowa Wamac Conference is looking good with FIVE teams still in the 3A tourney and one left in 2A..

Last edited:
Little Hawkeye has 6 of 8 left but will loose two Monday night in head to head matchups.

Little Hawkeye is making a statement! I think they may have the ultimate winner, but with all the parity, Assumption could be trouble. I'm usually pretty good at predictions, but this tourney keeps fooling me!

Reactions: stickman80
A lot of surprising results last night. Although with how this season has gone it shouldn't be all that surprising, lots of parity this year. It is kind of fun having the field be this wide open. It is the postseason anything can happen!

Little Hawkeye is making a statement! I think they may have the ultimate winner, but with all the parity, Assumption could be trouble. I'm usually pretty good at predictions, but this tourney keeps fooling me!
WAMAC is looking pretty strong too. 5 teams left in 3A with 2 bids to State for sure and Beckman still alive in 2A.

Reactions: Sam Tarly
Coon is making the opposite statement. Winterset and Carroll both went down and only has Ballard advancing with an OT win in a very soft substate.

MRAC lookin solid, too. Guaranteed at least one state qualifier with Le Mars vs SB-L in 3A. SC East and CB AL are both alive in 4A as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT