ADVERTISEMENT

3A Play Off Predictions

Nov 30, 2002
Now that Districts are finally out what are your "way to early" play off predictions?
Here is my list of 16 in no particular order:

1) Sergeant Bluff Luton
2) Webster City
3) Western Dubuque
4) North Scott
5) Washington
6) Xavier
7) Pella
8) Dallas Center-Grimes
9) Lewis Central
10) Harlan
11) Norwalk
12) Carlisle
13) Clear Creek Amana
14) West Delaware
15) Assumption
16) Mt. Pleasant

I will go with the district champions being

1. SBL- They have turned into a consistently good program and I think everyone else in that district is a little bit down.
2. Webster City- Probably the weakest district overall, Webster City returns a nice nucleus and should take it rather easily
3. West Delaware- This is a tough district for me to predict, Western Dubuque loses so much from last year but I don't see them falling to far, I think West Delaware had a ton of young talent last year so I will go with them.
4. North Scott- I just see them as the most complete program in that district
5. Washington- Same as North Scott, they are by far the best district in the SE Iowa area, and I am sure the entire district is happy not to see Solon.
6. Grinnell- Xavier always jumps out, but they were so senior dominate and I know that the junior and senior classes haven't been overly successful at the lower levels, I think with what Grinnell returns they should take the district, but honestly I think everyone except Newton could have some say in who wins the district.
7. Pella- Probably start the year a state title favorite, they were young last year but still were very good.
8. DCG- Probably the other state title favorite to start the year, again very young with a ton returning
9. Lewis Central- I think it is their title until someone knocks them off, I don't think they run away with it but still my favorite.

At Larges: Hard to predict with the RPI being used, usually the same contenders rise to the top so I will go with

Western Dubuque
Assumption
Xavier
Carlisle
ADM
Norwalk
Harlan

i am taking harlan in d9, they did beat lewis central in regular season with very young team...harlan returns 7 on offense, that included 4 sophmores that started on offense last year, and ended 7-3....the defense should be dencent. returning 7 that included a freshmen that started last yr, and was very good. the district was a 3 way tie with glenwood , harlan , lewis central...rpi went to lewis central...thats my 2 cents

IN District 6 you have to look at Xavier as the favorite. Yes they were senior dominate this past year, but that is the case every year. They will have to replace 3 all state players in Volk, Hurkett and Helmkamp. Looking at early recruiting sites and Junior day invites they have 3- 5 kids that could play D2 or D1 football. Their coaching staff is one of the best if not the best in the state and has always shown the ability to get the best out of their kids. Grinnell also will be in the running.

Xavier is going to return both their primary fullback and tailback from last season, plus a wide receiver. On defense two starters return in the backfield as well as a junior linebacker who played a lot as a sophomore last year. They will need to replace both lines, which is always a challenge but that coaching staff always seems to be up to it. This year's juniors (who only won one game as freshmen) went 7-2 as sophomores last season, which I know doesn't mean anything for varsity purposes but they have had some success coming up in the system (the freshmen and sophomore teams were a combined 13-3 last year).

i am taking harlan in d9, they did beat lewis central in regular season with very young team...harlan returns 7 on offense, that included 4 sophmores that started on offense last year, and ended 7-3....the defense should be dencent. returning 7 that included a freshmen that started last yr, and was very good. the district was a 3 way tie with glenwood , harlan , lewis central...rpi went to lewis central...thats my 2 cents

harlan continues a downward spiral in enrollment, and in the last 10 yrs, allmost 1000 students. if it continues, harlan could be borderline 2a. lewis central has 300 than harlan, denison 264 more, glenwood 163....harlan is the underdog in lot of these games in enrollment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT