Washington at Epworth, Western Dubuque

Cedar Rapids Xavier at North Scott

Bracket C

Carlisle at Sergeant Bluff-Luton

Glenwood at Norwalk

Bracket D

Oskaloosa at Lewis Central

Harlan at Dallas Center-Grimes

it sucks that the state of iowa did not truly match the teams by true rpi postions on 1 thru 16...1 vs 16...etc......i cannot believe it...if a team has to travel across the state, play at a neutral site in des moines, or half the distance for both teams...this decision takes some of the fun out of it...but i quess in reality, the rpi is not a true representation of whos best by rank....some better teams are lower rank than poorer teams with higher rank....also look at bracket B....wow..that is so unfair....

Last edited:
In a true 16-team seeded bracket, the second round would give you 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5.

Solon as the 1 seed could end up with the 7 seed in the second round, so just a wee bit tougher than chalk.

Seed-wise, number 2 Western Dubuque could be looking at the 6 seed (again, just barely above normal) ... but ranking-wise and toughness-wise, my goodness. Xavier vs North Scott is the only matchup of 8-1 teams, and both of those losses were to Western Dubuque.

Lewis Central at 3 got “lucky” with their bracket, with their toughest possible opponent 8 seed Harlan ... although Harlan has defeated Lewis Central already this year.

SBL at 4 could see 5 seed Norwalk, so that one is right on.

Just for fun, let’s look at Luke’s rankings from last week instead of RPI. He only does a top 10, so an 8-team bracket would be:

8 Norwalk at
1 Western Dubuque

5 Dallas Center-Grimes at
4 Xavier
———
6 Washington at
3 Independence

7 Lewis Central at
2 Solon

Top RPI teams left out of that ranking are SBL, Pella, and Harlan.

Using the AP poll:

8 Norwalk at
1 Western Dubuque

5 Independence at
4 North Scott
———
6 SBL at
3 Xavier

7 Lewis Central at
2 Solon

That leaves out Pella and Harlan from the top 8 RPIs.

And then what the heck .. let’s make up a bracket generally based on pre-RPI 2017 rules.

I took the top two teams in each district (using the 17-point tiebreaker, that eliminated Glenwood from D-9). Since that made 18 teams, I then cut the lowest runners-up based on the 17-point tiebreaker (by far, that easily eliminated West Delaware and Spencer). Again using the 17-point tiebreaker to find the lowest-ranked district champion, that put Lewis Central on the road.

Here’s what a non-RPI bracket could have looked like:

Lewis Central at SBL
Carroll at Norwalk

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes
Harlan at Pella
———
Oskaloosa at Solon
Xavier at Independence

Iowa City Liberty at Western Dubuque
Washington at North Scott

Independence really got the short end of the stick. Traveling to 7-2 Pella after a 9-0 season. I understand their strength of schedule didn’t look too great this year. Traditionally; WD, Decorah, Waverly are powers. Indee may not be the best team, but I think a 9-0 district champ should get to host.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Independence’s OWP was just .3333. Their opponents won only 27 of the 72 games not against Indee. Believe it or not, that’s the worst by far of any team in 3A. No other 3A team even had an OWP under .4000.

The rest of D-3 won only 7 of 20 non-district games, and Indee’s non-district opponents were 0-9 (South Tama), 2-7 (Oelwein), and two 4-5 teams (CPU and Maquoketa).

Yes, it’s crazy that a 9-0 team with perhaps the best offense in the state ends up on the road in the first round, but that’s the formula we’ve got.

Last edited:
And let’s compare that to Pella’s non-district games. DC-G (in playoffs), Norwalk (in playoffs), Carlisle (in playoffs), Mount Pleasant (17th RPI). Add that with a win over Oskaloosa (another playoff team) who has played the harder season?
It makes sense to reward a team that played the hard teams to get there.

Independence’s OWP was just .3333. Their opponents won only 27 of the 72 games not against Indee. Believe it or not, that’s the worst by far of any team in 3A. No other 3A team even had an OWP under .4000.

The rest of D-3 won only 7 of 20 non-district games, and Indee’s non-district opponents were 0-9 (South Tama), 2-7 (Oelwein), and two 4-5 teams (CPU and Maquoketa).

Yes, it’s crazy that a 9-0 team with perhaps the best offense in the state ends up on the road in the first round, but that’s the formula we’ve got.

You gotta play and beat who the Stste puts across the field from you. Indee ran the table against a weak schedule and gets the opportunity to prove themselves at Pella. Better to be 9-0 playing the first round on the road than 8-1 (Sigourney-Keota) because you failed your only real test of the season.

Pella is not the Pella of old. Especially their running backs. Aside from Downs. Their running backs are terrible. THeir QB is decent. Pella is a one man team this year. Aaron Downs Everyone else is average.
Wow, what a way to talk your team down. None of the Pella starters played a down in the 4th quarter, otherwise it would have been running clock and shut out.....guess grinnell must be below average. The "average" Pella defense held Hunter to 24yds rushing in the 1st half and a lion's share of his second half yards came against Pella's 2's and 3's in garbage time, since Grinnell left their starters in the entire game. Grinnell was certainly better than average and will be good next year, but both teams are full Jrs, so should see both take a big step next year.

harlan is young on defense, they have 8 underclassman playing...3 sophmores and one freshman. i have never seen this from a harlan team. and they have 3 sophmores starting offense....the freshman team won all their games....so i am thinking the future looks good for the cyclones...not sure if head coach curt bladt will coach next year, or his son, todd,,,who is interim coach this year

I think this is the craziest phenomena, probably would not happen again for years if ever. Only 1 team on Inde's schedule had a winning record. It would be very difficult to hand select a schedule for Inde and get these results. Unfortunately, not in Inde's control, but I think this RPI system does give some direction to the pairings that is better than year's past. In the past, Inde might have received some benefit in pairings due to being undefeated (although they are too close to Xavier to usually be kept away from them.) Inde might be good, but it would not be a shock if they lose first round when you compare schedules of Inde and Pella, where Pella has played 4 qualifiers and have one of the highest OWPs. There will always a situation that seems "unfair". Last year Pella had just 1 loss, but due to their OWP had one of the lowest RPIs and it sent them to Xavier in the first round. Probably gave Xavier their closest game of the season on Xavier's home field (old home field, which had some opportunities). Could have possibly been a top4 team last year but was sent home first round due to RPI pairings. Any system will have these non preferred pairings, but so far, I think this system seems to be working. The true seeding will never happen due to travel, but I haven't seen anything ridiculous from the state yet. The Xavier/WDub/NS pairing is also unfortunate, but always a risk when you take a loss, and its typical that the "East Siders" tend to think that the only quality 3A football teams come from that side of the state. Just ask Pella in 2014, 2015, 2016. Each year Pella would go undefeated, but it was Xavier's Championship to lose each season. People get all twisted because they compare the seedings to rankings in Newspapers (which has more bias than basis) or BCmoore, which is just a computer model that does well but also has challenges.

Reactions: paxregis
Last year Pella had just 1 loss, but due to their OWP had one of the lowest RPIs and it sent them to Xavier in the first round. Probably gave Xavier their closest game of the season on Xavier's home field (old home field, which had some opportunities). Could have possibly been a top4 team last year but was sent home first round due to RPI pairings.

Pella absolutely gave Xavier their toughest game of the year last season. That was a street fight, and Pella had a shot to tie it at the end (four plays inside the 10 down by 8).

I don't think anybody who was paying attention in 2014 said the title was Xavier's to lose ... they dropped three games during the regular season, and Pella was obviously stronger that year. In 2015 it looked like Xavier and Pella were in line to meet again until Xavier lost in the second round, and 2016's semifinal was one of the most competitive games I've ever seen with Pella winning on the final play, so they were almost dead-even that year.

And another note about RPI and "deserving" teams .. in 1A Sigourney-Keota went 8-1, finished second in their district by losing to Mediapolis ... and they're not in the playoffs.Their OWP was a truly woeful .3049 with an OOWP of barely over .5000, and even though that was enough to get them to the 16 spot, there were two district champions below them, knocking them out of the playoffs.

Reactions: paxregis
Pella is not the Pella of old. Especially their running backs. Aside from Downs. Their running backs are terrible. THeir QB is decent. Pella is a one man team this year. Aaron Downs Everyone else is average.

Good grief. I think you need to step away from the ledge. Was a good, tough, hard-hitting game Friday night. Both teams played hard. Grinnell made some mistakes and Pella capitalized on them. That’s what happens in sports sometimes. Not sure you are helping your cause with trying to disparage Pella so hard at this point.

Independence wins this game

Independence really got the short end of the stick. Traveling to 7-2 Pella after a 9-0 season. I understand their strength of schedule didn’t look too great this year. Traditionally; WD, Decorah, Waverly are powers. Indee may not be the best team, but I think a 9-0 district champ should get to host.

Agreed and Xavier is a shadow of their former selves

Good grief. I think you need to step away from the ledge. Was a good, tough, hard-hitting game Friday night. Both teams played hard. Grinnell made some mistakes and Pella capitalized on them. That’s what happens in sports sometimes. Not sure you are helping your cause with trying to disparage Pella so hard at this point.
I'll bet you 1k they don't make the dome.

were you referring to Xavier in your previous post, or Pella making the dome? Both have a tough path, but not sure its decided. Both are playoff experienced teams that find ways to win. I thought NS choked in the playoffs last year. Inde is a ? to me with their schedule, although it is always tough to go through clean no matter your schedule. Solon has yet to play at their potential in recent playoff years, they were also much stronger/better in the past. So I think its pretty open. WDub has some tools but they only beat Xavier by 6 on first time. Washington also appears to have some scoring power and I don't think WDub has that much dominance on Def. looking at last year's team. So IMO nothing is a sure victory here.

i hope harlan clears up their mistakes when they play dallas center-grimes, or they will be exiting from the playoffs early. against winterset, they had 4 turnovers, 13 penalitys, and 3 missed pats.......u cannot win playing like that

still like Wdub, the qb has completed allmost 70 % of his passes...they return many from last year. i was surprised the xavier played them that close this year, being they lost their stud from last year...they must just reload their every year

still like Wdub, the qb has completed allmost 70 % of his passes...they return many from last year. i was surprised the xavier played them that close this year, being they lost their stud from last year...they must just reload their every year
Yes, the Wdub QB is a great athlete. It will be a strong Def team that takes them out, if they go down. That is Xavier's strength this year IMO. Always have some great athletes in the LB corp, and this year they have a D1 LB. Yes Xavier always reloads, or recruits!.......Kidding, just kidding don't need to start that ;). First year in a long time for them that they haven't had a coaches son running QB, so that is probably really different.

Ummm... not sure where this came from. Did I even come close to saying they will make the dome? I am a Pella guy and I would be very surprised if they make the dome. My blinders aren’t that strong.

I was only commenting on the Grinnell-Pella game. I have no idea if they will beat Independence as I’ve never seen them play. I’m figuring it will be a fun, exciting game. I am excited to see two teams play that have never met. That’s what makes the playoffs fun.

Ummm... not sure where this came from. Did I even come close to saying they will make the dome? I am a Pella guy and I would be very surprised if they make the dome. My blinders aren’t that strong.

I was only commenting on the Grinnell-Pella game. I have no idea if they will beat Independence as I’ve never seen them play. I’m figuring it will be a fun, exciting game. I am excited to see two teams play that have never met. That’s what makes the playoffs fun.
I've only seen one pella game and one Xavier game. Neither seem to be state champion level teams. Utmost respect to both organizations and they'll probably both surprise me because of their coaching staffs. However, the xavier game in particular was not impressive.

Harlan will get past the first round- will be nice to see them and LC in a round #2 rematch with everything on the line. I guess Bladt knew what he was talking about in ref to TCU and former LC QB Max Duggan. He outplayed Texas's QB Sat and was named newcomer of the week in the Big 12. Not bad for a true freshman.

Harlan will get past the first round- will be nice to see them and LC in a round #2 rematch with everything on the line. I guess Bladt knew what he was talking about in ref to TCU and former LC QB Max Duggan. He outplayed Texas's QB Sat and was named newcomer of the week in the Big 12. Not bad for a true freshman.
Not really relevant to this game but as good story, I suppose. It's okay to be a homer.

Reactions: dadof4spartans
I've only seen one pella game and one Xavier game. Neither seem to be state champion level teams. Utmost respect to both organizations and they'll probably both surprise me because of their coaching staffs. However, the xavier game in particular was not impressive.
What Xavier game to you watch?

This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the top teams this year, but I do think that overall 3A may be a little bit down this year compared to recent history. Are there some really good teams? yes, but I think the Pella teams from a few years ago and the past couple of Xavier teams were better then anyone this year.

Reactions: DCAHawk
i saw some highlights, max seems to have a good arm, he threw some long ones on the money. i think everyone is surprised how good he really is beating ranked texas...

If you want a good place to check out one of the playoff games, you should check out the SBL vs. Carlisle game played this Friday on longlines.com/live !!! Features On-demand as well!

Brackets - A, B, C, D - will the state have the winner of A play the winner of B, and the winner of C play the winner of D? Or, will it be A winner against C, and B winner against D? Or, will the state come up with some other paring yet?

The four teams that come out of the brackets will be paired based on their final Week 9 RPIs. The team with the best RPI plays the team with the fourth-best, and the second- and third-best RPIs play in the other semi.

If it goes according to chalk, Solon (1) would play Sergeant Bluff-Luton (4) and Western Dubuque (2) would play Lewis Central (3). But if there’s an upset ... for instance, if Xavier comes out of that bracket ... the lowest RPI team would play the highest, so in this example, Xavier (6) would play Solon and SBL and Lewis Central would be the other game.

i hope harlan clears up their mistakes when they play dallas center-grimes, or they will be exiting from the playoffs early. against winterset, they had 4 turnovers, 13 penalitys, and 3 missed pats.......u cannot win playing like that

Harlan has played a tougher schedule and will travel so heavily it could soften DCGs home field.

Unless the DCG D can create opportunities this will be at least a 2 score win for Harlan.

DCG did hide from adding ADM to their schedule.

Why is Harlan's schedule so much better?

Harlan has played a tougher schedule and will travel so heavily it could soften DCGs home field.

Unless the DCG D can create opportunities this will be at least a 2 score win for Harlan.

DCG did hide from adding ADM to their schedule.

Why is Harlan's schedule so much better?

If ADM and DCG both dumped Perry and played each other they would both be better off...but for some reason they want to keep playing their river rat neighbors from upstream. It's probably for the rock....but it could be they are still holding a grudge about the tree incident.

Sticky - wow, you are still wanting to include bashes against Perry?

I feel like this is less about Perry and more about your arrogance and keeping it about yourself

QUOTE="stickman80, post: 175252, member: 5760"]If ADM and DCG both dumped Perry and played each other they would both be better off...but for some reason they want to keep playing their river rat neighbors from upstream. It's probably for the rock....but it could be they are still holding a grudge about the tree incident.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

DCG D (with a little help from Mother Nature) got it done tonight when they needed! Go Stangs!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT