District #12: Oskaloosa
Substate #6: Vinton-Shellsburg

District #13: Carlisle
District #14: Boone
Substate #7: Carlisle

District #15: Harlan
District #16: Glenwood
Substate #8: Harlan

It's interesting you picked Spirit Lake to come out of District #2, as their first round opponent is LeMars, who they are 0-2 against this season. LeMars also just beat SB-L two nights ago at SB-L. Of course, I would not be surprised if Spirit Lake would defeat Le Mars, as Spirit Lake has a solid ball club and many things happen in postseason play.

It's interesting you picked Spirit Lake to come out of District #2, as their first round opponent is LeMars, who they are 0-2 against this season. LeMars also just beat SB-L two nights ago at SB-L. Of course, I would not be surprised if Spirit Lake would defeat Le Mars, as Spirit Lake has a solid ball club and many things happen in postseason play.
That's a pick 'em district in my opinion.

LeMars did the job against Spirit Lake in District 2 (which really isn't an upset) and Glenwood was surprised by Denison-Schleswig. Otherwise, the first round went as expected.

I was surprised that Benton defeated Grinnell, especially in such a lop-sided affair (9-1). Grinnell doesn't have great offense, but I'm surprised they gave up nine runs.

Bondurant-Farrar knocked off Carlisle & will face Boone in the substate final.

Heelan also knocked off SB-L & will face Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley, who beat Le Mars, to go to state.

I will take Solon 3-2 over Marion.
Assumption by 10
Heelan 7-2
Boone 5-3
Lemars 6-0
Vinton 3-1
Sbl 4-2
Dub wah 6-1

Extra Inning Drama sends Crusaders back to State

59700dbbd9228.image.jpg

Heelan's Tommy Schiltz makes a catch against Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley during baseball action in Le Mars, Iowa, Wednesday. Heelan won in extra innings 1-0 to advance to state.

LE MARS, Iowa | Sioux City Bishop Heelan will return to the state tournament after a thrilling 8 inning win vs Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley in an Iowa Class 3A substate baseball final here Tuesday night.
Sophomore centerfielder Tommy Schiltz delivered an line drive single to right field scoring junior Hunter Hope for the winning run in the bottom of the 8th sparking a jubilant celebration for the Crusaders.

Consecutive throwing errors put two runners on before, Schiltz, on a 2-2 count, sent the Crusaders to their 2nd straight state tournament.

BH/RV junior lefty, Zach Noble, was superb for the 18-8 Nighthawks. Noble limited the hard hitting Heelan lineup to just one hit through 7 innings. Meanwhile, the Crusader pitching was just as effective as sophomore T.J. Chamberlin threw 6 innings of shutout ball before giving way to junior Colin Kasperbauer.

Kasperbauer, a .430 hitter, faced 6 batters, striking them all out, in a sterling relief job.

" It was a great high school game, certainly " Heelan Head Coach Andy Osborne said. " Their pitcher was tremendous. We were a little impatient early. Once we settled down we had runners in scoring position but couldn't get that key hit, until Tommy came through".

Schiltz, a freshman starter on last years state tourney team, and a .347 hitter. Couldn't put down a sacrifice attempt with 1 strike , but that only set up the heroics.

"I told Tommy to take a strike and then lay one down, which he is usually very good at," Osborne said. "We were surprised it didn't happen , but he is no stranger to making clutch plays even as a sophomore. We were not at all surprised he came through under that situation."

Heelan will face Sayel, 29-8, Tuesday at Principal Park in Des Moines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT